My first sprite. Took me a week!?!? *dying* *dies* *dead*

Art threads specific to a single artist.
evgaming

My first sprite. Took me a week!?!? *dying* *dies* *dead*

#1 Post by evgaming »

SOOOOOOO I finally finished my first sprite! This is Melanie. She's a medical research assistant. Don't worry... she won't be offended if you critique her artist *coughmecough*

I'm not happy with her 100%, but I think the rest just comes down to practice. The hand on her hip still looks janky, even though I redrew it like 5 times.

Also, don't understand clothing shadows like I should. The long fold on the bottom right bothers me, though when I exclude it, it looks too bare, and when I add more, it looks too busy. Pictures of lab coats on the web all have subtle shadows going on, but my art style is a little simple for complex shading... WHY MUST THIS BE SO DIFFICULT!?!? BTW, when do you guys plan out your clothing folds? During the line art, or during shading? Any tips and pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: My first sprite. Took me a week!?!? *dying* *dies* *de

#2 Post by Obscura »

I'm probably the last person who needs to be critiquing art but she looks pretty good to me! Looks like someone out of Daria. <3

Yeah, clothing is difficult. The #1 method I've found is just getting the closest thing to the piece of clothing, wearing it in front of a mirror and using that as your reference.

In lieu of that though, I wouldn't think a lab coat would be that wrinkly under the hand. I thought the material was a bit thicker and stiffer...but I could be wrong. I feel like you really only need a single line with tapered ends that runs underneath the hand, maybe up to mid thigh, but not all the way to the bottom of the lab coat.

Sometimes what I do if I can't find the real deal or a good photo reference is find somebody who does comic art in a style similar to mine--example--to see how they handled it.

I'm sure others here have better tips though.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Ayutac
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Dating Sim
Organization: A Breeze Of Science
Deviantart: Ubro

#3 Post by Ayutac »

Nice one, which program did you use?

It could be me, but it seems to me the boobs are not matching each other so good...
Up next: An original, open source, text-based Dating Sim. Stay tuned ;)

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#4 Post by FatUnicornGames »

I like it, you are right about the clothing wrinkles and shadows, and the boobs aren't quite right.

My one big problem is the collar, it lays very strangely.

Here is a decent piece of reference (http://ukhealthcare.uky.edu/uploadedIma ... abCoat.JPG) it is a large picture but using it might help you see how it works.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#5 Post by Geckos »

The pose is very nice, as is the expression. One thing that throws the image off a bit is the shading on her face (cheek to be exact.)
Even though the light source is coming from the upper left, it would help if you shadowed her right cheek/jaw in the same fashion that you did her left cheek/jaw. (it helps it display as receding in space.)
I did a quick paint over for the coat in the hopes of helping you out with the creases.
The only other nit-pick that I have is her neck; it gets smaller the closer to gets to her head. Generally necks are the same thickness from top to bottom.
Regardless, your line work and shading is very nice and crisp. It looks good, and I enjoy the fact that you actually gave her enough abdomen, even though she's wearing a belly shirt. :) Nice work.
Attachments
paint_4.jpg
Image ImageImage

evgaming

#6 Post by evgaming »

@Obscura Thanks so much! I was thinking Daria too (la la laaa la la laa laaaaa), though I hope it's not too cartoony since my project is on the serious side.

@Ayutac I used Illustrator for the linework and Photoshop for everything else (sketching and painting). Though I used the elements version, because it's cheaper.

@FatUnicornGames Yeah, boobs throw me off a lot.... (I don't have them nor am I interested in them. Awkward.)

@Geckos Wow you are amazing. It looks so simple when you show it like that! Of course, your version of the lab coat has a much softer fabric, but I might as well give it a shot. I spent a few hours reworking the line work, and one of the boobs is STILL giving me trouble. I'll keep going and will post up a finished version at some point. Thanks so much for the help!!!!!