Eva's Art Progression Thread C:

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Evangelica

Eva's Art Progression Thread C:

#1 Post by Evangelica »

Title explains it all. This thread was made to showcase my artworks so I can receive critiques, redlines and advice for my future artworks C:

I mainly have problems on anatomy, and my colouring is not that great. I'm trying to work on it though, I just did a quick colouring experiment. It is actually fanart from an online TCG game, and the character was so cute I had to draw her C:

Critiques please? I know it's only a headshot, but can someone give me some tips for colouring? Because I seem to suck at that right now.
Attachments
New Knight.png

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

Re: Eva's Art Progression Thread C:

#2 Post by Tag- »

Okay, I'm probably not the best person to help with anatomy, but nevertheless I'll try xD.
From what I can see, your anatomy regarding the head is pretty good, the only thing that stands out to me is that the entire picture looks slightly lopsided. Were you trying for a 3/4 shot? If you were trying that, or trying to have her head slightly tilted, it would look a bit different.
For this redline, however, I've shown you how to correct the slight lopsided-ness.

Now, as for colouring, I can see that you've used different shades of blue for the eye; you've got the right idea there! You can do the same for shading with the skin and the hair, so that it contrasts more, and looks less flat. If you use a base orange for her skin, use a darker, more saturated orange-pink to shade; just slide the hue button to the left slightly. You can also add a second layer of shadows to make the picture stand out even more, and it can be a pinkish-violet colour. The same goes for the hair!

If the middle of her face looks too plain, you can add a bit of blush, and a lighter skin shade to highlight the tip of her nose. Another thing you can do to vary the shading a bit is to use both hard and soft shadows. At the moment, you're only using hard shading, which is fine if you're going for a cel-shaded style, but the combination of soft and hard shadows makes the picture more dimensional.

I've labelled a few sections in the picture below to show you what I mean, and made a palette of the colours I used so you can eyedrop them in reference for another time.

Something else you also need to do is choose a light source, and stick to it! Draw a little sun to remind you if you have to, and look up references on google if you're unsure of where the shadows fall on a particular part of the body.

Anyway, I hope that this has helped even a little bit :D. Apologies for any English derps I may have made during this, it's not a good idea to type something lengthy at 3am :'D
Also please remember that this is not the only way to do something, don't be afraid to experiment, and have fun~!
PM me if needed

Evangelica

Re: Eva's Art Progression Thread C:

#3 Post by Evangelica »

akljsdfhsfdgjanfjalsdnlakd thankyouuu Tagguuuuu ;w; You made her so prettyyy <3333

Just as I thought, it's mainly on my colouring. It looks too bland and lacks dimension. When I woke up this morning I thought about doing a study of another artist's colouring/shading style, their trend in colour schemes, their lineart, etc. I think it would be very helpful to analyse my favourite artists' style since I aspire to be like them and experiment and maybe mix C:< with the influence of these styles. And blah blah blah, I keep rambling on.

Anyway, I was thinking of writing down notes on the artist's style while I study the picture, maybe following this guideline or this one. Then I would probably create an artwork, trying to recreate the style, or make one based on one of the artist's existing artwork. With maybe a few adjustments C;

I have a whole list of deviants I want to do in my head already. Yes, Taggu, you are one of them C:<

Just a question. How long should I do these art studies for, for one artist? Just one study every artist, or maybe a few each artist for a week or two? Suggestions? Charlotte Mason suggested doing one artist each term, but I think that's going to be way too long for me :/

Or I can just experiment with my colouring and scrap my whole 'art study' thing, but I think getting an idea from different artists will help me greatly.