[Swan Grimoire] Character Feedback

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: [Swan Grimoire] Character Feedback

#31 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@AshenhartKrie, We decided to go for Azalea for the witch :D

@Ayame, It's fine to post in the RisAmo thread :)

Haha, I think that's one of the best bits. Some people are like 'That's nice' to one character and then go 'ahashdkasjfjhasdf' for another character, and then other people are totally different. It's super interesting to see how favours what characters XD

@Fioricca, Hahaha XD Maybe that should be a part of the game, "Why do you only ever wear blue?", "I'm allergic to the other colours :|"

@Casey, Yeah, I'm doing all the city characters first, than the forest ones. And yeah, I was going for him being more naturally muscled from hard work as opposed to more pronounced muscles like body builders.

Anyway, I can now introduce the next character, a mage named Zhi (please let me know if that isn't an actual name that can be used in that way >_>;)

He is a mage that has taken up 'residency' in one of the towers of the city library, much to the head librarian's annoyance. She get's particularly pissy when he hex-locks the door and the cleaners can't get in. He is perpetually grumpy about everything and he hates you. It's nothing personal, he hates everyone. He has an obsession with studying magic and other people are major annoyances for him. He doesn't tolerate their 'stupidity' so well.

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#32 Post by fioricca »

He is perpetually grumpy about everything and he hates you. he hates everyone
why does this sound so amusing sdfsdf I'm really looking forward to reading his dialogue now *3*

/also resists urge to... pull that long tail...... o////o

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#33 Post by teacup »

Wow, he's definitely my favorite so far *u*
I love his color scheme. Usually I prefer the nice guys, but something about his grumpy expression is just so... -pets-
And for some reason I just really really love his hands. I guess because they're so well drawn. :oops:

Itwasneveradream
Veteran
Projects: Color Me Cliche (semi-hiatus) | Rose Colored Days | College Jam | One secret Project

#34 Post by Itwasneveradream »

Zhi looks awesome. Specially his braid (Why do I have a thing for dudes with long hair?)

I love these designs

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#35 Post by Deji »

Zhi looks like a character o go annoy for the fun of it to see him get pissed off and snap at everything x'DDDD
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Ayame
Regular

#36 Post by Ayame »

At first, I was like:

"Wow, he's really well drawn, but once again, he's not really my type, and I'm not a fan of glasses either..."

And then, I saw his braid and went:

"OHMAIGOD I LOVE THIS GIMME MOAR."

Ahem. >.> I guess I love long hair? Haha. ^^" Anyway, great job once again!
I agree with the others who said they're looking forward to reading his dialogue. :D
Avatar made with Chibi Maker 1.1 by gen8 @ deviantart

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#37 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Haha, it seems like his hair is popular. I'll draw him with it out one day. It's very amusing to see what people react to, that's for sure. And thank you Teacup, I'm ridiculously happy with how his hands turned out *u*

He and Azalea should have a very... firery relationship. It is the head librarians dearest wish that they do not destory the tower with their magical temper tantrums.

The next character I have to do, and the last one for the city, is a golden haired prince, but I don't have a strong feeling for him. I need to find something that makes him unique and therefore his design interesting, but I don't know what that is yet...

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#38 Post by Sharm »

You don't have a cheerful innocent yet. One that's not baby faced and broken inside would be a nice change but probably hard to pull off.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Seiia

#39 Post by Seiia »

I love love love Orson's scars. I have a thing for scars, apparently. I typically prefer the guys with longer hair (Zhi, he is sexy), but Orson really stuck out to me when I saw the sketch concepts for some reason. I also tend to prefer the jerks, as well, so the fact that I find him so attractive is humorous to me.

Your art is amazing. I love your character designs so much. I love how unique each character is, and how there are little things you add to give them more personality. I quite admire you.

Though I'm just a high school senior, I prefer the more mature (err, not "adult") games because they tend to be more realistic. So yes, I believe this will appeal to me. (:

Kay

#40 Post by Kay »

I gotta say Auro, these character designs are really appealing. I love the colouring you're doing these days too. I know the story's gonna be great based on Camille's previous works, too.

Just wanted to post and say I'm really looking forward this new project you're working on. Even though it won't be immediate, I'm just happy to have two cyanide tea games to look forward to playing.

If you ever decide you need anything voiced in the future, don't hesitate to let me know. I'll audition in a second ; )
Image credit to Murry Lancashire.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#41 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I'm a bit delayed because I've been away! But I'm back now so I'm planning to get lots of art done. I missed drawing~

@Sharm, I definitely have a cheerful innocent planned, I'm excited to do him. And he's an artist~

@Seiia, ooooh, it is interesting that you prefer something other than your usual preference! I hope he stays interesting to you. Ah, you're making me blush ///>u</// But thank you, I'm glad you like them so far. I really like trying to imprint who they are in the way I draw them, especially since it makes it much more fun that way. Yay! It's great that people are interested in a more mature otome game. I must admit I have a soft spot for the most sugary of love stories, but darker tales so do it for me too XD Mixture of both is best?

@Kay, Thank you! I'm really looking forward to working on this full time too once BCM is done~ And thank you for the offer. I'm pretty sure Camille would LOVE to do voice acting one day (let's say she is a wee bit of a seiyu fan... and by that I mean a lot). We'll probably do a small game with VA first though before trying to tackle a larger game. I'll definitely keep you in mind :)

And now I can introduce the next character. Also, if anyone is wondering what is with the whole invisible seat thing... I don't know. I really don't know where that came from.

This is Theodoric, also known as the Golden Prince. When he was younger, he lost his right eye to the monster that terrorises the woods. His right arm was also damaged and while he still can use it for most major tasks, he lacks fine motor control. This has lead him to be ambidextrous where he wields a sword in his right hand and writes with his left. On the night he lost his eye, a number of other people were also killed, including his father, the King. While he has long since come of age, he refuses to take the throne as King until his father is avenged and he can secure the safety of the city. He is very well liked by the people, being seen as kind and generous. In person he tends to seem very distant though. It is also said that he is haunted by night terrors and spends most of the night awake. There is some concern amongst those closest to him that he is running himself into the ground.

Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#42 Post by Sapphi »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:It is also said that he is haunted by night terrors and spends most of the night awake. There is some concern amongst those closest to him that he is running himself into the ground.
I... may or may not be fangirling really hard right now... he's so... h-handsome... and... that outfit... and that eyepatch... and... the suffering... and... mhhhhhhhh....

EDIT: *comes back to elaborate* *serious face*

One thing I really like about his design is that his outfit is seriously well-color-coded. Cream, white, black, gold... it's a lovely color scheme. The cape adds +10 more awesome points... it makes his shoulders look all broad and makes him look kinda dark and brooding when you combine it with his eyepatch. Additionally I really like his knee-high boots... mostly because I just like men in boots, but what I'm trying to say is that they go well with his outfit. XD I also really like the way you shaded the quilting pattern on his... vest... thing.

All in all, my reaction to this was pretty "meh" until now... not because the designs or art was bad, just that they didn't appeal to me personally. But this... I might have to play the game just for this guy :lol: I'm normally not really interested in "kind and generous princes" but this one seems to dress (and smirk) like an anti-hero, and I love those, so... yeah. The fact that he has a Teutonic feeling is awesome too... so, my thumbs are up! Good work! XD
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#43 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

OMG, it has been so amusing working on this and finding out all the types and things people like. I know all your weak points BWHAHAHAHAHA!...Ahem.

Anyway, Sapphi, thank you :) I was originally going to make him have a lighter colour scheme, but then the black and grey worked so well so his overall look is a bit darker than what I had planned. But that's okay too, and it suits him.

Ayame
Regular

#44 Post by Ayame »

Oh... oh my god. That hair. That eye. That smile. A-and is that a scar/tattoo/nothing-you-idiot I spot on the side of his neck...?
Ok. Theodoric. Marry me. Nao.

Needless to say I love his design. He might be my new favourite. Great job, Auro! :D
Avatar made with Chibi Maker 1.1 by gen8 @ deviantart

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#45 Post by Sapphi »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:I know all your weak points BWHAHAHAHAHA!...Ahem.
Hm... I'm afraid this can only end well for me... :mrgreen:

But yeah, I can see it being great fun designing characters and observing who likes what. It's like a psychology experiment... just with a few choice words and some brush strokes here and there, you can turn a normally "Meh... not terribly interested in otome" into "AWW YISSSSS"!
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Anyway, Sapphi, thank you :) I was originally going to make him have a lighter colour scheme, but then the black and grey worked so well so his overall look is a bit darker than what I had planned. But that's okay too, and it suits him.
Well, obviously I'm glad you went this route... this is going to sound ridiculous but I find that the colors are intimidating (in a good way)... first of all because black/yellow is nature's "Stay away from me, I am dangerous" sign... but second of all, because it's the same color scheme as a certain legendary Pokemon I like who is also scary!

So I think I fall for men who seem a little... dangerous... which is not surprising given that Plutchik placed "Admiration" right next to "Terror" on his color wheel of emotions... actually, that seems to explain most of my behavior around people I like... :lol:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬