The past and present works of JumpJump. [Critique Welcome]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

Re: Folder dump!

#16 Post by JumpJump »

Well, seeing as that daughter of mine has now officially taken over the bed and I now must sleep in the living room. I must find something to keep myself occupied during these cold nights.

I'll just upload some more stuff with more of a description. That will waste a few minutes.

Seeing as there have been no complaints about the fanart I'll just show another one. Once more this was during my gel pen phase (you can tell by the markings). I still don't remember when I stopped using them, or why.

Some times I try and set myself a challenge, this time it was to draw a monkey. I know that don't sound like much, but I had never drawn a monkey before. When I design something I say to myself; "What makes this, this? If I was to make up a character, could I change them to a point where while not looking as they did before you could still recognise that character?" So I do something new to start me off. I would try and draw something from memory without any kind of reference. Just trying to remember the key points.

This was when I was starting to move out of my round head phase. I tried to add more features, like a nose (shocking for me at the time). You mite noticed that I've hidden the hands. I was using the whole "mitten hands" thing at the time as it was easier for me. I've gotten better now, but I'm still getting to get to grip with hands (If there is a pun there I totally meant it).

I'm hoping I could get some more feedback on this stuff. I just like to know what people think and why. Racking peoples brains is a tonne of fun for me.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

JumpJump
Veteran

#17 Post by JumpJump »

Not sure why I did this.

Some old monster designs for Dead City. Not sure what I should use them for now.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

JumpJump
Veteran

#18 Post by JumpJump »

Another drawing from my "Dead City" folder. Just trying out a design for a gun.

Another from my "Fix" folder. A priest who I did not name, only a few years old.

JumpJump
Veteran

#19 Post by JumpJump »

I'm thinking of taking requests. What do you think? Anyway, more things from my archive!

Here is something really old. A drawing of what I had in mind for Dead City, while it is just an incoherent mess, it is one of my all times favs. I see all the things that is wrong (body proportions, hands, feet and just about everything else) but, It always makes me smile :D .

I did this one when I was rarely drawing at all, so things I did where very messy and not really making sense.

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#20 Post by Duskylli »

I'm thinking of taking requests. What do you think?
Yes please! Your art is really fun and random. I'd love to see everyones requests in your style. I like the perspective and how you've layered the characters in the first pic its really lively. Did you actually plan those picture out or just draw randomly?

Laundry wars?

JumpJump
Veteran

#21 Post by JumpJump »

Duskylli wrote:
I'm thinking of taking requests. What do you think?
Yes please! Your art is really fun and random. I'd love to see everyones requests in your style. I like the perspective and how you've layered the characters in the first pic its really lively. Did you actually plan those picture out or just draw randomly?

Laundry wars?
The Laundry wars (like the name, I was thinking along the lines of "Peg Head".) one was a very random one for me :mrgreen:. The dead city one as I said was really old, but I do perfectly remember drawing it. I had a plan in mind and I was still learning how to draw human shapes and how to use perspectives (I'm still trying to get the hang of it), So, it never turned out like anything I had in mind.

Now about the requests. I think I have a problem with others telling me what to do. I.e. My tutor would ask me to draw an orange, a simple request. But, I would say "Screw you!" and draw a banana. O.K, just playing you up on that one. Well apart from my wife, I've never really had requests. I don't want to sound like I'm moaning here, but, I've had (as far as I can tell) little feedback, so I never thought that people on this site where that eager for my style. I'll put more thought into doing requests.

I drew these back around 2002-3:

That stupid gun makes no sense! People liked it non the less. :D

JumpJump
Veteran

#22 Post by JumpJump »

More from "Dead City"

JumpJump
Veteran

#23 Post by JumpJump »

Some of the characters from "Fix". It's a bit of a mess, I was just trying to fill the paper. Depending how this week go's, I'll take a request. You can ask now, but I can't promise anything at the moment. :wink:

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#24 Post by Duskylli »

JumpJump wrote:Some of the characters from "Fix". It's a bit of a mess, I was just trying to fill the paper. Depending how this week go's, I'll take a request. You can ask now, but I can't promise anything at the moment. :wink:

Whats fix? About requests I can't wait to see some bananas :p

The perspective from the Dead city pic is awesome. Kinda getting vertigo from staring at it. Any chance on a tutorial/work process thing on how you do perspective?

JumpJump
Veteran

#25 Post by JumpJump »

Fix is a very old story I've been working on. The original idea where it started from, no longer exists. I talk about dead city changing. Fix is a diffident kettle of fish. The theme of it is misunderstanding, and dealing with loss and change. I'm at a point with it where I think I've bitten off more then I can chew. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nearly everything I learnt was self taught, I cannot remember when I found a tutorial that I could follow. Sometimes I would re-draw the same picture over and over again, not understanding why it still looked wrong. But, other times it would be first time perfection. I am my own worst critic. Think of it like:

"You don't worry about what I'm doing, I know What I'm doing!"

Another upload OMGWFTBBQBYOB!!!!!!!

This is one of the earliest pictures I did of Orinn from Fix back in 2001 (I was still learning, you can see that Orinn doesn't even have a face!)

JumpJump
Veteran

Re: Folder dump, now with requests!

#26 Post by JumpJump »

I am now willing to take requests (I hope I know what I'm doing). I'll do them one at a time, but, If I get more then one request, I'll pick it at random. I will do my best to do any and all requests.

JumpJump
Veteran

#27 Post by JumpJump »

The arm's a bit wrong, but, I don't mind. Can't remember when I did it :( .

JumpJump
Veteran

#28 Post by JumpJump »

I forgot to put a "s" at the end of the first "time". Oh well.

This was on an old bit of scrap paper. Quite old.

JumpJump
Veteran

#29 Post by JumpJump »

I found this one behind my sofa. I think I have to start taking better care with my pictures.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#30 Post by azureXtwilight »

Request, eh? Can you draw anything from Re:Set? Link in sig~