The past and present works of JumpJump. [Critique Welcome]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

The past and present works of JumpJump. [Critique Welcome]

#1 Post by JumpJump »

Now that I've started to do something productive with my drawings. I think it will be a good idea for me to show things I have kept to myself. I'll upload a few pictures as often as I can and give some information about them. Any input from this community will be appreciated.

Lets start:

These are two robots I drew back in 2005. They are from a group of four that where in my original story, I called "Dead City", now renamed "9413". As the story got refined over the years, the robots didn't fit in so I dropped them. Sadly I can't seem to find the first drawing I did of them all at the moment. If I find it, I'll upload it.

Enjoy!
Last edited by JumpJump on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Folder dump!

#2 Post by 15385bic »

those are pretty cute =D
comical style~

JumpJump
Veteran

#3 Post by JumpJump »

I've taken some time away from playing Dark Souls to upload some more pictures.

I wonder If anyone can guess where this picture is supposed to be from?

Here is an old random robot concept.

Here is Orinn (top) and Ohmeg (bottom). They are both from "Fix". These two have a very complicated relationship. I put in the blue so the picture is a little clearer for you.

Ohmeg again. This time in his sarcophagus.

Some more from "Fix". some are old, others really old:

Have fun. I'm off to fight that Capra Demon!
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

JumpJump
Veteran

#4 Post by JumpJump »

Just found an old scan of the robots. I must of drew this in 2001-02. I should date my work more often.

I never had a plan on what to draw when I started, It was just trying my new mechanical pencils and this is what I ended up with. A bit of a mess really :lol: .

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#5 Post by TakeOverWorld »

You have a pretty nice style :)
Though, on the picture that you highlighted in blue, it's still pretty hard to make out what's going on, and that's probably because most of the lines are very thick, the same thickness at that.

JumpJump
Veteran

#6 Post by JumpJump »

TakeOverWorld wrote:You have a pretty nice style :)
Though, on the picture that you highlighted in blue, it's still pretty hard to make out what's going on, and that's probably because most of the lines are very thick, the same thickness at that.
Thanks for the complement!

The one with the blue is a bit hard to make out (sorry :( ). I never finished it. It was supposed to be a test for me, on using bold lines and colours. I put the blue there seconds before uploading it. The blue part that is shown is Ohmegs "phantom arms". If you see the one of him in sarcophagus, the phantom arms replace the sarcophagus arms. The picture of Ohmeg and Orinn is a little zoomed in (I was never thinking of showing it to anyone when I started). The context of it is this:

Ohmeg is holding Orinn upside down and playing with his hair. In the story of "Fix", it is implied that they once where in a relationship.

JumpJump
Veteran

#7 Post by JumpJump »

MORE PICTURES!!!!??!

[EDIT]
picture removed.
Last edited by JumpJump on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

JumpJump
Veteran

#8 Post by JumpJump »

As I stand beneath the beasts gaping maw it called a face, I stood my ground. That putrid smell that emitted from it makes the air heavy, hot and sticky. I took it all in! Without warning it threw it's flabby mass towards the heavens, screaming with all the intentions of shaming the most devoted of Banshees. That sound almost broke what remained of my soul. Almost. My body on the other hand. This beast of man will not take me down today, not ever! I pull myself up and with a pleasure I have never experienced before, remove my broken sword from its sheath. I point it at the beast and await. Running through my mind are the memories of those who I will no longer see. No longer hear. No longer love. But, I will never forget them. The beast approaches, falling to meet my blade. There is only one thing left for me to say.

'I better up load some pictures!'

Enjoy everyone!

100puro
Regular
Projects: Driftwood, FatexHeart

#9 Post by 100puro »

I think your art would benefit if you used lines with differing thicknesses. Like when you do small details or the background i think you should use thinner lines while for major parts of the body, use thinner lines. Also your lines seem to be very static and don't really vary in thickness and it kinda makes the picture feel stiff.

This would be an example of having tapering lines with different thickness... hopefully this helps! I think it'll help with your pictures looking less "busy" and "cluttered" so it can look more simple like that one guy wanted for his doctor who picture.
::Currently looking for work! <3::
Doing sprites, cg's, and chibis. PM me if interested!

JumpJump
Veteran

#10 Post by JumpJump »

100puro wrote:I think your art would benefit if you used lines with differing thicknesses. Like when you do small details or the background i think you should use thinner lines while for major parts of the body, use thinner lines. Also your lines seem to be very static and don't really vary in thickness and it kinda makes the picture feel stiff.

This would be an example of having tapering lines with different thickness... hopefully this helps! I think it'll help with your pictures looking less "busy" and "cluttered" so it can look more simple like that one guy wanted for his doctor who picture.
Sorry but I cannot open the link. :( :(

A few days ago I got myself a nice set of ink pens (Faber-Castell) to replace the two pens I've had for about 4-5 years (Pilot). It has a nice varied selection from a fat brush to an XS one and all I can say is "wow". The ink just flows so much better and is so bold. I never liked to ink my work in the past as if I didn't like the outcome, I was screwed. The last few days I've been practicing drawing, inking and colouring. I'll upload them in a few minutes, but I must warn you. When I first started to draw, I would draw Sonic pictures (this was before I had the internet, so I never really knew how big the fandom was). When I saw the behemoth that was the Sonic fan base, I just kept it all to myself. At one point I met someone who was REALLY BIG into sonic and he begged me to put my sonic pictures on his website. It was the other members on his site I had trouble with. E.g. I showed a picture of a character called "Rackules". He came about from a game mag I had eons ago. It was something about going into debug mode, go to a strange area on a level in sonic3 and you can see a green sprite on Knuckles. I just built up on that and the other fans did not like me for it, as it was not cannon and the stigma attached to fan characters. A lot of heat came from someone who called himself "Red the Hedgehog" (avatar was just a colour swap of sonic). I just couldn't be bothered with the fans anymore. But, I still love drawing Sonic stuff as I feel really comfortable doing it. I do it now to really just test my pens and colours. If you lot don't have a problem with fan art, I'll upload what I've been doing over the last few days. I also have some that are not sonic related and the wife wanted me do do some Chocobos for her, so you know, them too.

JumpJump
Veteran

#11 Post by JumpJump »

First dump of the day is always the best! :lol:

For some reason I feel that I must mention that all these are drawn on A5 paper and nearly all the work I do is on A5 now.

I was testing out my new pens.

My wife will sometimes be an a mood for me too draw something and last lime she wanted Chocobos. Here are a few I did.

Normally before I draw something for a project I'd be doing, I'd do some exercises to loosen myself up. These would be in the form of sonic fan art. I wouldn't be trying anything near as hard when doing these.

Let me know what you think.

JumpJump
Veteran

#12 Post by JumpJump »

I lost this one for some time (I drew it on A6 and I have lots of piles of paper). I planed to redo it in photoshop on my touchscreen laptop. Sadly It gave up the ghost and I now use it to prop up my table. Again it was a request from my wife.

JumpJump
Veteran

#13 Post by JumpJump »

I once more crawl out my hole to give you more offerings!

Enjoy this unfinished comic I did yonks ago. The girl in it is now my wife. She has a fantastic drawing talent, quite intimidating for me when you get down to it. She is also working on a VN of her own now because I've started one.

And something extra

JumpJump
Veteran

#14 Post by JumpJump »

I found a gold mine of old pictures that I had packed away for sometime.

I had a period of time when I went gel pen mad. I just loved the strong colours I could get off them.

JumpJump
Veteran

#15 Post by JumpJump »

Something before I go to the land of nod.