Laniessa Art Thread

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

Re: [Laniessa] Art Thread / Feedback, Critique Appreciated!

#16 Post by Laniessa »

@Endorphin: top-left is a personal favourite style of mine too shhh.
Okay! So I went in and added a few darker tones to the pencil-coloured one (since that's the style I usually use to draw) and came with this:
...yeah. I made the shadows for the face a bit... dirty? ugh my colour theory is so spotty
...yeah. I made the shadows for the face a bit... dirty? ugh my colour theory is so spotty
5.png (101.44 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
I also tried my hand at a background - oceans have always been really tricky to manage, and I can confidently say I'm still no good at them. Or sand, too. (Reference here.)
asdjkh anyone know a way to paint water realistically? or sand? or details? i don't want to use brushes to brush it all out...
asdjkh anyone know a way to paint water realistically? or sand? or details? i don't want to use brushes to brush it all out...
I changed the colour of the girl's dress (the not really dark-grey grey was annoying me :/) and finished the hair! I'm tempted to put in ruins as the background.
look at my shiny golden necklace thing and the weird sleeves (...I might take those out.) oh right and my fluttering hair look at that
look at my shiny golden necklace thing and the weird sleeves (...I might take those out.) oh right and my fluttering hair look at that
EDIT: If there's any writers here, I want to ask how you avoid using 'she' too much at the start of a sentence? 'she walked over and took the tray. she then jumped.' blahblah. I know using adverbs (Slowly, she...) and using verbs (Walking over the the tray and...), but do you know any alternatives? My KN is sounding really drab in terms of wording.

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#17 Post by JumpJump »

If there's any writers here, I want to ask how you avoid using 'she' too much at the start of a sentence? 'she walked over and took the tray. she then jumped.' blahblah. I know using adverbs (Slowly, she...) and using verbs (Walking over the the tray and...), but do you know any alternatives? My KN is sounding really drab in terms of wording.
I'm not much of a writer so you can disregard what I say. Maybe the placement of the word "she" could just be moved.

E.G. "She walked over and took the tray, then she jumped....."
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Jod
Regular
Projects: F.I.N.
Organization: JodCorp

#18 Post by Jod »

Laniessa wrote: EDIT: If there's any writers here, I want to ask how you avoid using 'she' too much at the start of a sentence? 'she walked over and took the tray. she then jumped.' blahblah. I know using adverbs (Slowly, she...) and using verbs (Walking over the the tray and...), but do you know any alternatives? My KN is sounding really drab in terms of wording.
Try starting with your subject to mix things up. Instead of "She picked up the tray.", write "The tray felt cold against her fingers as she picked it up."

Try mixing "She" up with the actual names and descriptions.

Hope those help. Also, make sure to steal from your favourite author! He/she has literally books filled with examples! :)
Last edited by Jod on Wed May 01, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laniessa
Veteran

#19 Post by Laniessa »

@JumpJump & @Jod: Thank you very much! I'm writing something in third-person, with a female as a lead, and the writing is incredibly stiff, which is why I asked!

I was a bit busy yesterday, which is why I didn't reply then.

I continued drawing the girl! I've got an idea for a background sketched up except I don't know how I'm going to execute it and most of the shading on the dress is done! I'm not quite sure how to do the folds on the bottom, though. (Also, for the strange curls on the side of her face - I'm not done with those yet!)

I'm not sure if it's because the opening post is too messy, but I do take requests for headshots - I have this style I enjoy drawing in, but I need to refine it further.
Attachments
sky2.png

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#20 Post by arachni42 »

Oooh, that dress looks nice and shiny! And I like the way the shadows define the shape.

The hair looks quite lovely! My only comment is that I "feel" like it should have a little bit more weight in this area:

I definitely like the flying strands everywhere and the coloring works well. Very nice. And she is just so cute. ^_^ I'll be watching to see how the background turns out!
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

Laniessa
Veteran

#21 Post by Laniessa »

Thank you! I'm getting a lot less messy in my lineless drawings, thankfully!

I added a few strands in, do you think it's enough?
11.png
I also realized all the problems with perspective in the drawing, so I've been editing and fiddling around with it all day. This background is going to be the end of me ;u; so painfullll. I'm even working in only two colours (and the range between them) for the background, so I need to go back and and some colors in later...

...why can't we just live in floating blank-white space? whyyyy

Also, rough sketch for what I'm planning to draw after this.
12.png
._. all of my sketches look different. You'll probably realize that as my thread goes on... haha...

destiny_921
Regular
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)

#22 Post by destiny_921 »

Not much of an artist, but I've been experimenting with digital art lately. Your art's quite pretty :) Though, the backgrounds lack...something. Refinement, I think? I like the first BG that you posted, but I think the mesh of colours for your second background don't really blend well together. I did check out the reference link by the way, but in my opinion, I would have gone for something like this (hope you don't mind that I went and tinkered with it!) -

I also did a day-ish one...

Was too lazy to do clouds and do a proper sun, so I went and used a lens flare >.> And about your ocean scene - it's nice, but there's something off with the sand. It doesn't look like sand, unless you meant to go for the wet kind.
Laniessa wrote:EDIT: If there's any writers here, I want to ask how you avoid using 'she' too much at the start of a sentence? 'she walked over and took the tray. she then jumped.' blahblah. I know using adverbs (Slowly, she...) and using verbs (Walking over the the tray and...), but do you know any alternatives? My KN is sounding really drab in terms of wording.
Practice :lol: Jod has a point there too. Refrain/restrain yourself from using 'she' at the beginning of a sentence, but instead be creative and go for a different perspective like this:

Example:
Pausing before the door, she contemplated her options. Did she really want to go through with this?

or like this:

It had been an exhausting day. How she longed for a break! A vacation away from the hustle and bustle of the city, it seemed like a dream. Perhaps it was time she took a leave of absence.

And so on :)
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#23 Post by arachni42 »

Laniessa wrote: I added a few strands in, do you think it's enough?
Yes, I think that looks quite lovely!
Laniessa wrote: I also realized all the problems with perspective in the drawing, so I've been editing and fiddling around with it all day.
I think it'll look more natural if your right-hand vanishing point is further off-screen. That way the angles wouldn't seem so harsh.
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

Laniessa
Veteran

#24 Post by Laniessa »

@destiny_921: Thank you for the feedback! I'm trying to be able to get a good grasp on referencing and learning what 'realistic' looks like before I start experimenting, but I can see what you mean. (And don't worry about painting over the image! In fact, feel free to. Helps me learn.)

Also, yes, they lack refinement! A bit of laziness on my part, to be honest.

The problem with the first one was that it wasn't realistic at all! The lighting was wacky, the composition made no sense, which is why I'm trying to adhere to using references now.

I'm bad at sand, I admit it now.

Thank you for the tips on writing.

@arachni42: So, I decided to properly do a vanishing point and everything, and I put the vanishing point a bit further away!
sky3.png
I'm dreading the part where I have to colour it.

EDIT: Well, I dislike double-posting, but I do have new art, if you're curious!
So, I went and finished the image with buildings! It's not very good, but I did try...!
in this sky.png
Also, a character from a personal story of mine.
alison.png

Laniessa
Veteran

Re: Laniessa Art Thread / Critiques Appreciated!

#25 Post by Laniessa »

/waves

I've been wanting to restart this art thread for a while now, but I haven't had enough output, I suppose? I'm not sure if I have enough now, either, but I'll make an effort. Trying to draw more now, at least.

There's some of my more recent art in my tumblr / deviantart, and even my game thread in my sig - Ruthless, if you want to see what I've been up to, but anyway! I'll be posting sketches and WIPs, along with my more ambitious finished pieces.
Recent sketch. Sorry about the weird file name, I was listening to Miho Fukuhara's songs when I saved it.
Recent sketch. Sorry about the weird file name, I was listening to Miho Fukuhara's songs when I saved it.
This picture is a monster, eck. The background is taking ages and I'm using some weird perspective to try and get it right?
This picture is a monster, eck. The background is taking ages and I'm using some weird perspective to try and get it right?
I can't work on the second picture at the moment, though, since I've gotten a bit of an urgent request IRL to draw a few pictures, but I hope to upload sketches and the like!

Please crit if you have the time! I recognize that the head shape of the girl is a bit off, but in all honesty, I'm not sure if I have the motivation or time to sort through the mess that is her hair and fix it up. She's also lying down on a bed.

Laniessa
Veteran

Re: Laniessa Art Thread

#26 Post by Laniessa »

I decided to update this thread with some stuff! Here's some recent stuff.
Image Image Image
[Personal Illustrations]
[Persona 5 chibi! I'm trying to do a set.]
Image Image
[Chomp Chomp art!]
[Without A Voice Sprites]

I have a ton more stuff done as well but zzz it would clog up this post;; Head to the Chomp Chomp! thread or the Without A Voice for some more art, as well as my twitter @adirosette. (There's food art in the Chomp Chomp! thread!)

In other notes, I have been working hard! I'm Caramel Mokacchino's minigame food artist, which is what I'm working on right now. There's another game that'll have a kickstarter soon - I did the item art for that, so please check it out when it's released!

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#27 Post by morinoir »

Whoaa you really need to finish those decadence picture! The shading is so gorgeous and the messiness of her hair looks astounding! I also really enjoy those food arts! ^^ If I can give suggestion, try to add more warmth by using soft yellow-orange color so the food looks even more yummier =)

Laniessa
Veteran

#28 Post by Laniessa »

@morinoir: Thanks!! I uh, finished it about two years ago tbh. Chomp Chomp food art was done in March so they definitely could use some improving! I'll keep it in mind when I work on new icons ^0^ I've definitely improved in plating my foods ;;

Last year I did another picture of her!
[Full size link.]

It almost feels like a yearly tradition at this point so I'm probably going to do one this year too.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#29 Post by Godline »

Still doing wonderful work I see. <3

Laniessa
Veteran

#30 Post by Laniessa »

@Godline: Thank you <3
idol 1 smol.png
I did a picture of a cute girl because that's sort of my thing!!! I used this in a colouring tutorial, if you wanted to check that out.
maccha house.png
I also started work on Chomp Chomp again! 1.5 backgrounds left to go, and CGs! Hopefully we'll get that finished soon <3