Which logo looks best?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Ant-san
Regular
Completed: Snowdrop, The Demon Lord is Mine, PrinHero, PreOdyssey
Projects: The Three Princes and Adarna

Which logo looks best?

#1 Post by Ant-san »

I've made variations with our logos, and we can't decide which one to use XD

So... that's why I'm hoping you guys could vote which look best to you (or suggest something maybe?)
Help will be greatly appreciated ;)

1.)Image http://sta.sh/0dupx0hiyg6

2.)Image http://sta.sh/028nwrcvozps

3.)Image http://sta.sh/0yo0yuvisyx

4.)
Image http://sta.sh/0280jwxi7abg
Last edited by Ant-san on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Otome game currently in progress~;)
Feel free to check it out ^_^

Interested in commissioning me?

Finished Project/s:
The Philosopher's War

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

Re: Which logo looks best?

#2 Post by merdeamour »

Is the topmost one new? ((: I love it xD (Although I don't know if my vote's counted because I'm part of the team :lol: )
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Ant-san
Regular

#3 Post by Ant-san »

merdeamour wrote:Is the topmost one new? ((: I love it xD (Although I don't know if my vote's counted because I'm part of the team :lol: )
That one's actually the oldest, but I forgot to show it XD

Finished Project/s:
The Philosopher's War

Kessie
Regular

#4 Post by Kessie »

My favourite one would be no. 2 :P
The reason being because I like the colour scheme.
No.1 appears to be covered in a lot of brown making the writing appear less legible and I believe legibility of a logo of all things to be very important ^^.
No.3 is a nice colour scheme as well but it gives me the impression of a garden or the story being heavily romance based which as I understand is a part of the game but not the main aspect of it so that rules out this one for me.
No.4 gives me the impression of a dark story so understandably fits the theme ^^; but I think my eyes are more drawn to No.2 due to the lighter contrasting colours.

Pencey
Regular

#5 Post by Pencey »

I personally prefer the second one! It looks a bit ... cleaner? idk how to word it haha~ but yeah, #2!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#6 Post by azureXtwilight »

I prefer number 2, but if I have to say all the fonts used is hard to read for me. But maybe it's just me, ;_;

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

At this size, I don't like any of them.

The combination of the blackletter (?) font, the gradient, and the small lettering makes them hard to read. The decoration up top also looks like it might be text, which means I attempt to read it, but can't - I don't think it's meaningful at all, but the shapes make one want to look at it - causing a sort of dissonance.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#8 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

I'm voting for none of them as well. I can't read the text, it's the wrong font choice.

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#9 Post by Tempus »

Pretty much what azure and PyTom said and I also really thought they'd link to bigger images. I'd suggest uploading something at least two times bigger than those... preferably three times.

The most important thing for a logo (if it involves text anyway) is legibility, then the pretty stuff. Right now I'd choose #4, purely because it's the most distinctive. However, the black outline around the text on top of the dark graphic makes it harder to read. I find it distinctive because of its simple (presumably related) graphic with the title. One reason I'm not a fan of the first three is that they look more like a banner to me than a logo. Most effective logos I can think of don't have backgrounds or, if they do, they don't go right to the edge of the image and are of irregular shape -- e.g. Firefox, Final Fantasy, Chrome, Skype, X-Box, McDonalds, AC/DC, etc. A lot of them have simple graphics which reinforce the name too; AC/DC has a voltage sign, McDonald's has an M, X-Box an X, Firefox a fox, etc. This is another reason I favour #4.

Somehow I wrote a lot... I hope that helps.

Edit: in a way it's actually a good thing you posted them this small, because a good logo should read at a small size as well as large. Though by "read" I don't necessarily mean include text with the graphic when it's small because then you'll make people squint -- usually text is omitted or simplified (or abbreviated, e.g., "TTC") for smaller versions. Disclaimer: not a logo expert.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Ant-san
Regular

#10 Post by Ant-san »

Sorry bout' the size, due to size limits in linking images, I had to settle with those ^^" (and my original files are in my other laptop, so I can't upload them either)

Anyway, I added links to their original sizes... or is the font still hard to read? :?

Finished Project/s:
The Philosopher's War

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#11 Post by Googaboga »

It is much easier to read in it's full size :>. The font is sort of fancy and I'm not sure I would instantly know that the "T" in "Taleweaver" was actually a "T" if I didn't already know the name of the game. But other than that I don't have any troubles reading it.

As for which logo, I like the darker background on the first one most. But that one has a lot of brown and bronzey colors. So if you did go with that one maybe make the font or the silhouette a color that stands out a bit more.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#12 Post by arachni42 »

Hmm. I can read all of them (the full size ones) but the font definitely needs some anti-aliasing! In terms of readability, I'd rank them in this order: 2, 3, 1, 4.

Thematically, the choice of font does have connotations of literature and of past time periods, which (reading your WIP thread) seems to be fitting. It's on the harder-to-read side for a logo but I think it will be okay with good graphic design. Keep in mind that you can have multiple versions of the logo -- you can try having the smaller one be solid-colored with a stroke around it to make it easier to read at small size, and have the stuff like the drop shadow on the bigger, more ornate version of the logo.

The choice of gold color... well, it made me think it was going to be a pirate story. One the small versions of the logos, the roses look like gold pieces. I wasn't expecting them to be roses when I opened up the big versions. The last one with the book seems to work better for the theme of the story, but, as mentioned, it's very hard to read with the dark gold over the black. Design-wise, for a logo I'd suggest making the book a little smaller in comparison to the text. On the other logos, I think the silhouette looks nice.

#3 is a little odd with the color choices. It does make me think more "otome," but kind of feels like it conflicts (theme-wise) with the font.

I like the palette of 1, 2, and 3. If I had to pick a favorite right now, it would be #2 due to the legibility, even though I kind of like the warmth of the background in #1. Maybe I'd go with #1 if the background was a light shade of gold. So, my current ranking would be 2, 1, 3, 4.

Hope that helps :D
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#13 Post by Semienigma »

Personally I like number 1 the best. The color is nice and I can read it.
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art

Relimount

#14 Post by Relimount »

I think the 3) is the most attractive with the green and the red. But the red need to be changed in a darker ton, I guess.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Victoria Jennings »

I like #2. #3's kind of Christmas-y and #4's hard to read.