Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think...)

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
sapiboonggames
Veteran
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 am
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]
Contact:

Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think...)

#1 Post by sapiboonggames » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 am

As the title said, I'm having a trouble drawing naked guy's body (only the top half)

This is what I come up with:
Image
(Just ignore the scribble on his face, it's just to prevent others to use it... though I'm not sure if there's any who would)

Please give me critique:
1) Anatomy-wise
2) The shading (can u please tell me where to put the shade?

Thanks all! <3
Last edited by sapiboonggames on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

User avatar
nankaimo
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:13 pm
Completed: Lolita Dress up Game, Feather Promises
IRC Nick: Nanka
Location: United States of A'murica
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#2 Post by nankaimo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:59 am

Hello there C: I don't know male anatomy that greatly but I'll try and help with the shading? I think it may look awkward because the shade color is too dark for the original skin tone, mabie if you lighten the shade it will be a bit better? It just is too much of a stark contrast, if you possibly use a gradient type tool like the airbrush in paint tool sai in some areas of his body it may look a bit less dramatic of a shade.
What program do you use? If you use Paint Tool sai I may be able to help a bit more C: .

I'm sorry that I'm not very good at explaining things, but I hope I helped you out C:

User avatar
sapiboonggames
Veteran
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 am
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#3 Post by sapiboonggames » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:07 am

nankaimo wrote:Hello there C: I don't know male anatomy that greatly but I'll try and help with the shading? I think it may look awkward because the shade color is too dark for the original skin tone, mabie if you lighten the shade it will be a bit better? It just is too much of a stark contrast, if you possibly use a gradient type tool like the airbrush in paint tool sai in some areas of his body it may look a bit less dramatic of a shade.
What program do you use? If you use Paint Tool sai I may be able to help a bit more C: .

I'm sorry that I'm not very good at explaining things, but I hope I helped you out C:
Hi there! Thanks for the answer.
The shade color is far darker than the original because I like having contrast in my art (look at his hair, the shade is rather dark too, rite?)

Yes, I use paint tool sai. I used to use the watercolor to shade (soft shading, maybe that's what you mean?), but I don't know why I just like cell-shading better :roll:
I'm currently having difficulty where to place the shade, though. Maybe you could help this lost lamb? :mrgreen:
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

User avatar
nankaimo
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:13 pm
Completed: Lolita Dress up Game, Feather Promises
IRC Nick: Nanka
Location: United States of A'murica
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#4 Post by nankaimo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:19 am

Hi there! Thanks for the answer.
The shade color is far darker than the original because I like having contrast in my art (look at his hair, the shade is rather dark too, rite?)

Yes, I use paint tool sai. I used to use the watercolor to shade (soft shading, maybe that's what you mean?), but I don't know why I just like cell-shading better :roll:
I'm currently having difficulty where to place the shade, though. Maybe you could help? :mrgreen:
Oh I see, well it all depends where your light source is, and the shades that are cast because of form, for instance, if the light source is in the top left corner, the shadows are going to be cast stretching right. C: I'm not sure if I can explain this one very well, so here is a tutorial I found so you can see what I'm talking about C:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 5aahe4.jpg

Hopefully this helps, I'm sorry I can't be more of use D:
Deviantart Image | Tumblr Image


"I can only hope that the answers will come to me in my sleep. I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to." - Donnie Darko

User avatar
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Posts: 3428
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:51 am
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#5 Post by Taleweaver » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:44 am

This is a personal art thread.

Moving.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

User avatar
arachni42
Veteran
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:33 pm
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#6 Post by arachni42 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:28 am

I think the contrast is fine with the cell-shading, but you're struggling with placement as you mentioned.

Definitely pick a direction for light to be coming from. You have a shadow around almost every edge, and that should definitely not be the case. I'd recommend looking around for references, both photos and anime. Keep in mind that cell shading is a simplification of real life shadows, with higher contrast and less detail -- so you wouldn't try to capture *every* shadow that's in a photograph. The manga/anime references can help you see what choices other artists made with shadows.
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)
_________________

User avatar
sapiboonggames
Veteran
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 am
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#7 Post by sapiboonggames » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:34 pm

nankaimo wrote: Oh I see, well it all depends where your light source is, and the shades that are cast because of form, for instance, if the light source is in the top left corner, the shadows are going to be cast stretching right. C: I'm not sure if I can explain this one very well, so here is a tutorial I found so you can see what I'm talking about C:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 5aahe4.jpg

Hopefully this helps, I'm sorry I can't be more of use D:
Don't be sorry, cause the link is really helpful. Thanks for the link! :D
Though I'm not really sure if I can applicate it with cellshading...
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

User avatar
sapiboonggames
Veteran
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 am
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#8 Post by sapiboonggames » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:41 pm

arachni42 wrote:I think the contrast is fine with the cell-shading, but you're struggling with placement as you mentioned.

Definitely pick a direction for light to be coming from. You have a shadow around almost every edge, and that should definitely not be the case. I'd recommend looking around for references, both photos and anime. Keep in mind that cell shading is a simplification of real life shadows, with higher contrast and less detail -- so you wouldn't try to capture *every* shadow that's in a photograph. The manga/anime references can help you see what choices other artists made with shadows.
The direction of light I pick is right in front of him. Like in this pic: (WARNING: a nude anime guy with a cencored genitalia with a seductive pose: http://seemslegit.com/_images/dab273207 ... 20nude.jpg

The problem with photo reference is, I can't really see the difference between shadow and base color and highlight... Sorry for being so dumb...
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

User avatar
dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 825
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:45 pm
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance
Location: ABQ-USA
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#9 Post by dramspringfeald » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:54 pm

the nipples would be a bit closer and up... much like yours or better yet leave them out becuase there are plenty of things that should be put to paper and Maneries are not one of them.

The shoulders would have some definition, Either a curve up or down but more definition.

Image


Edited for bad joke
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

User avatar
sapiboonggames
Veteran
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 am
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#10 Post by sapiboonggames » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:14 am

dramspringfeald wrote:the nipples would be a bit closer and up... much like yours or better yet leave them out becuase there are plenty of things that should be put to paper and Maneries are not one of them.

The shoulders would have some definition, Either a curve up or down but more definition.

Image


Edited for bad joke
I used to leave the nipples out, but people like to say, "the guy is missing out his nipples or where the hell are the nipples?!" and etcetra...
so I decided to add nipples this time to shut them off... :roll:

Thanks for the shoulders' advice!
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

User avatar
arachni42
Veteran
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:33 pm
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#11 Post by arachni42 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:36 am

sapiboonggames wrote:The direction of light I pick is right in front of him.
That's very unusual... what is the light source? Is there a story reason for it? What height is the source at? (eye level? stomach level?) How close is the light source? (With something like the sun it isn't going to matter, but if it's a spotlight, flashlight, camera flash, etc it could. If it's close enough, the parts of his body beneath the source would have light coming from "above" and the parts above would have light coming from "below.") If there's not a story reason for it, I'd say have light come from above because it'll be way easier to find references for.
sapiboonggames wrote: Like in this pic: (WARNING: a nude anime guy with a cencored genitalia with a seductive pose: http://seemslegit.com/_images/dab273207 ... 20nude.jpg
In that pic, the light is coming from directly above... well, above-left; I'm not sure it's 100% consistent.
sapiboonggames wrote:The problem with photo reference is, I can't really see the difference between shadow and base color and highlight... Sorry for being so dumb...
You're not dumb; it is hard to "translate" a photograph into cell shading. Photos are way more complicated. (I am definitely not practiced enough to do it without the additional help of anime/manga references.) It also may have to do with the lighting, because in some photographs there is a lot of it (bright light, multiple light sources), and little contrast with the shadow.

For example, this one would not make a good reference (shadow? what shadow??): http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ouched.jpg
As opposed to this one, with some actual contrast (the light is coming from the right): http://st.depositphotos.com/1371851/189 ... rtless.jpg
There's often some good contrast in the sun: http://incommunseries.com/wp-content/up ... ackman.jpg
An anime example from Free! (sun from upper right): http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g4lcQ5qlMPk/U ... 24x576.jpg
An indoor example from Hakuouki (light from upper right): http://bananamuffinblog.files.wordpress ... ot-141.jpg

Hope this helps!
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)
_________________

User avatar
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1844
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 pm
Projects: The Space Between
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#12 Post by LateWhiteRabbit » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:10 pm

sapiboonggames wrote: I used to leave the nipples out, but people like to say, "the guy is missing out his nipples or where the hell are the nipples?!" and etcetra...
so I decided to add nipples this time to shut them off... :roll:
And good on you! I find it super weird when the nipples aren't drawn.

User avatar
sapiboonggames
Veteran
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 am
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#13 Post by sapiboonggames » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:43 am

arachni42 wrote:The direction of light I pick is right in front of him.
That's very unusual... what is the light source? Is there a story reason for it? What height is the source at? (eye level? stomach level?) How close is the light source? (With something like the sun it isn't going to matter, but if it's a spotlight, flashlight, camera flash, etc it could. If it's close enough, the parts of his body beneath the source would have light coming from "above" and the parts above would have light coming from "below.") If there's not a story reason for it, I'd say have light come from above because it'll be way easier to find references for.
There's no story reason of it, I just thought it would be easier. But after hearing your advice, I'll just settle for the above source light :D

Thanks for the links! It helps!
I actually also found a deviantart profile who colored guy's body in a very detailed cell shading. And it's anime-styled, too! (it's unusual but I'm happy I found him)
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

User avatar
sapiboonggames
Veteran
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 am
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]
Contact:

Re: Need critiques for half nude guy art (it's SFW, I think.

#14 Post by sapiboonggames » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:46 am

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
sapiboonggames wrote: I used to leave the nipples out, but people like to say, "the guy is missing out his nipples or where the hell are the nipples?!" and etcetra...
so I decided to add nipples this time to shut them off... :roll:
And good on you! I find it super weird when the nipples aren't drawn.
I'm on to the right path then :D
Actually... I now begin to feel that nipples can actually add the guy's charm if drawn correctly (Come to think of it, I always like to stare at male's nipples in comics if it's drawn correctly... It's erotic?)
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users