Please critique/comment my art and give feedback

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Meiting_98
Regular
Projects: Neutralizing You
Organization: Ninja Vault

Please critique/comment my art and give feedback

#1 Post by Meiting_98 »

Hi! :D

I'm a newbie to drawing. So my art work may be a mess.
So please give me a feedback. Any honest critique/comment is accepted :D
(The art work isn't done yet though :p)

Attachments
First time trying.png

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Please critique/comment my art and give feedback

#2 Post by MaiMai »

It's usually better to make a complete piece (or at least 90%) so there's something to critique, but let's work with what you got.

1) You need stronger values aka shadows to define the dimensions of your sprite. It's just flat colors so far, so when you get into shading, make sure the colors pop.

2) Are the sleeves long and covering the character's hands or have you not added in the hands? If it's the case of the former, you're going to have to lengthen the arms since anatomically speaking, the arms of a person usually reach a little bit past the hips.

That's all I got. Like I said, finish it up and that way other people can give better advice.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

First off, good color choices. The palette is limited and the green dress goes nicely with the skin tone and black hair. You also seem to have a decent grasp on facial structure. The eyes seem to be in the right place, although from what I can see right now, the angle of her nose is not going to match the angle of the face as it stands currently.

Everything shoulders-up looks good, but the anatomy of the body is pretty sloppy by comparison. I recommend that you draw her without the dress on to minimise distraction, then add the clothing back on when you have that underlying structure down. In particular, pay attention to the shape of the breasts and the way the fabric falls over them when it is drawn in at the waist. Also do something about her hips, because they are much too small compared to her shoulders. Usually, if you want the character to read female, you want the hips at least the same width as the shoulders.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#4 Post by chocojax »

About MaiMai's first point, definitely force yourself to go outside of your comfort zone for shadows/colors in general! I see a little bit of shadowing going on, but it's very difficult to tell because you're moving the colors so slowly. Start experimenting and going around the color wheel, go huge steps in changing the saturation/darkness of the color, etc!

And, did a pretty quick drawing of what Sapphi was talking about, with drawing the body before dress. It helps a whole lot to do this! Well, setting down guidelines in general. Tons of people do this, and it helps a lot in remembering the structures/putting them down/etc! It's like keeping notes in class, but for drawing.

The little thing I drew on the bottom says what it says. Try hard to draw a line that could be drawn in a single stroke, in a single stroke. Looks much cleaner and smooth this way!
Attachments
thignsaregoinon.png

Meiting_98
Regular
Projects: Neutralizing You
Organization: Ninja Vault

#5 Post by Meiting_98 »

Thanks for all your comments and advices! :D I'll use the advice to make it looks better.

Thank you so much :D :D

pineapplepocky
Regular

#6 Post by pineapplepocky »

As a note, when you draw angles like that, the arm in front of the viewer should be longer than the arm in the back, due to perspective. That can also apply to the shoulders in the front (it will be higher), and the breast in the front (it will be slightly larger), and eyes (it will be higher, just a teeny bit) And wow that is a giant color palatte, are you sure you need all those colors? If you are, make sure you don't use the wrong one! Even for a woman with such a beautiful face, I think her body should be slightly bigger, especially the shoulders. Do you plan to draw the arms? If you are, hopefully it will make sense that the arms are longer than the sleeves, because those are very short sleeves for such a long body build.

Visual Novel Project: Destiny Limit --> http://www.destinylimit.net/
(facebook: http://www.facebook.com/destinylimitgame)

deviantart: http://pineapple-pocky.deviantart.com/ (and open for commissions)
blog: http://www.jackieloart.com/blog/