Truefaiterman's Art [Always Looking for feedback]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

Re: Truefaiterman's Art [Always Looking for feedback]

#31 Post by truefaiterman »

Ok, another one, just to kill some time!

Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Kohaku
Regular

#32 Post by Kohaku »

Hey!

Here you go, I have done a rough paintover for you and tried not to alter the original image too much so to try and retain the mood you set with the piece, I hope this helps and I have added a brief explaination as to what I did.

First off I moved the samurai back and extended the canvas so that I could apply the rule of thirds, I then painted in a body and head to show that he was riding a dragon/creature thing :) i'm not great at creature design as I think you can tell but hopefully you get the idea, basically i'm trying to convey a story across to the viewer, a snap shot if you will of a ensuing battle.

Secondly from the original image I thought the sword arm was too far back, I tried to replicate the pose with my own arm and it just didn't feel right so I moved it forward although i'm still not entirely 100% happy with what I did either (scratches head) :s

I added in the briefest of backrounds to give a sense of something going on, because I want the focus to be on the samurai in the foreground I want to keep the backround as loose and less detailed as to not draw the eye away from the intended focal point, the eye will fill in the blanks.

Finally the colours, I made the dragon using a very desaturated/muted colours so when I make the samurai a more saturated red colour he will pop and gain the viewers attention. A more detailed area will draw attention more vs a less well defined area and this is the same also for when you use saturated colours vs desaturated.

I hope that helps you and here is a link with an explanation of the rule of thirds for anyone who doesn't know what I was refering to earlier.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... thirds.htm
Attachments
samuraid.jpg

truefaiterman
Veteran

#33 Post by truefaiterman »

Kohaku wrote:Hey!
Here you go, I have done a rough paintover for you and tried not to alter the original image too much so to try and retain the mood you set with the piece, I hope this helps and I have added a brief explaination as to what I did.
Ok, this is like... some of the most complete and most awesome feedback I've received in a LONG time. Thanks! I love this! I'll see every step:
First off I moved the samurai back and extended the canvas so that I could apply the rule of thirds, I then painted in a body and head to show that he was riding a dragon/creature thing :) i'm not great at creature design as I think you can tell but hopefully you get the idea, basically i'm trying to convey a story across to the viewer, a snap shot if you will of a ensuing battle.
You're pretty much making an effort I got too lazy to even think about. This is actually... pretty embarrasing for me, the rule of thirds is some of the most basic rules on composition and I didn't even thought about it. Your version definetely feels more alive, and as you said it has a story. Since I've read your comment I've considered composition a lot more.
Secondly from the original image I thought the sword arm was too far back, I tried to replicate the pose with my own arm and it just didn't feel right so I moved it forward although i'm still not entirely 100% happy with what I did either (scratches head) :s
I've been replicating it too (with a sword, which helps getting the "right" feeling), and I've seen the issue: I wanted to convey tension in the movement, but the shoulder pad should be more hidden, so it looks like the warrior is about to attack with his weapon (with that armor behind, it's more like it's bouncing to the back during the extreme motion). The way I made it just feels... kinda broken. Your correction looks anatomically more correct, but losing that exaggerated movement just makes it look like a weird pose (you forgot to paint the elbow protector, which should be visible from there! That helps with the strange feeling).
I added in the briefest of backrounds to give a sense of something going on, because I want the focus to be on the samurai in the foreground I want to keep the backround as loose and less detailed as to not draw the eye away from the intended focal point, the eye will fill in the blanks.
A great idea, indeed! It helps bringing the painting to life and, once again, conveying a story within the picture. It's simple, but it works wonders! I'll work harder on backgrounds!!
Finally the colours, I made the dragon using a very desaturated/muted colours so when I make the samurai a more saturated red colour he will pop and gain the viewers attention. A more detailed area will draw attention more vs a less well defined area and this is the same also for when you use saturated colours vs desaturated.
That's a good idea, and something I'm still practising: I have this tendency to aaalways use strong, saturated colours (I just love them, lol), but while that can give good results, working with less saturation should give me a wider variety of shades to work with, and also help guiding the eye. To achieve that I originally tried to use complementary hues (the overall green dragon contrasting the red armor), but playing with more muted colours while keeping that idea should give me a better result.
I hope that helps you and here is a link with an explanation of the rule of thirds for anyone who doesn't know what I was refering to earlier.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... thirds.htm
To anyone reading here, this is a simple, yet effective introduction to the rule of thirds. I definetely recommend it.

Once again, thanks a lot! I sorry I took so long to answer this post, but I've been having some issues, and...

I've been working on a LOT of new stuff! This one makes me proud:

This recreates a scene from a story I started writing some years ago (in the same universe as my Vampiro Por Navidad KN). This time I just took a style I've been feeling comfortable with (the usual style I use for VN graphics), and chose to be patient and caring for details (I literally spent hours with that hair. But I can say I've never had so much fun with drawing and painting hair).

I also made this little chibi. I almost NEVER make chibis (making something that is not depressing nor creepy has been a challenge for me since I was reaaaally young, lol), so it's time to work on cuter stuff!

Aaaand I'm working on some test for one of my projects, this is Faith, one of the main characters of a visual novel I'm working on.

This is some BIG update, and I'm already working on more stuff! Thanks again to Kohaku for the amazing feedback, and I hope everyone enjoys my new art (and if you don't, tell me why, duh!)

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

#34 Post by truefaiterman »

Two pictures today! One is brand new, and the other is a little update:

I softened this chibi's lineart (it was pitch black before, now it has some colour)

And the new picture:

I've been told my style can work better with fantasy designs, and I wanted to try. Buut since I had none to use, I remembered my Warrior Queen painting, and chose to make her like a sprite!

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

#35 Post by truefaiterman »

Remember my last big illustration? Here comes another one in the same style! And there will be more!! Hope you like it.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

#36 Post by truefaiterman »

Told you there would be mo- HERE DRAWING BOOM.

This time the theme is pretty obvious, if you know the symbols. Or the name of the drawing at deviantArt.

The next one will take a longer time, since this was half-done when I finished my vacation. Hope you like it!

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

#37 Post by truefaiterman »

Well, I owed you a few inkings, so heeere they are!

Two old OCs I keep coming back to.

A character for the book I'm writing.

And a little tribute to Luca Blight, from Suikoden 2.

Hope you like it!

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

#38 Post by truefaiterman »

I couldn't practice that much with inking, but I managed to make three more drawings! I hope you like them!

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

#39 Post by truefaiterman »

Practising different styles while keeping the same workflow, from more cartoony to more realistic and "painterly".

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image