Truefaiterman's Art [Always Looking for feedback]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

Truefaiterman's Art [Always Looking for feedback]

#1 Post by truefaiterman »

Well, I think it's time to start moving my... art? Somewhere else besides DeviantArt, so a personal thread sounds good to me. I mostly work with Sai and Photoshop (I'm trying to practise more with PS), and I record the process of most of my paintings.

LAST UPDATE:
truefaiterman wrote:Image

Practising different styles while keeping the same workflow, from more cartoony to more realistic and "painterly".
Feedback is always good, and thanks for watching my things!

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/ ... 6krdnl.png
(It says "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image", if there's someone willing to tell me what to do, I'll edit the topic with que images themselves. I can't attach most of them since they're HEAVY)

http://fav.me/d5jru3f

http://fav.me/d62jgmi

http://fav.me/d5kp381

Attachments
Sprite of a character for a personal project.
Sprite of a character for a personal project.
Concept design for... something I don't even remember.
Concept design for... something I don't even remember.
Poster for a friend of mine's story "The Heart of a Victim"
Poster for a friend of mine's story "The Heart of a Victim"
Perspective practise with Photoshop.
Perspective practise with Photoshop.
Last edited by truefaiterman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: Truefaiterman's ugly paintings, enjoy!

#2 Post by chocojax »

http://fav.me/d6krdn
(It says "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image", if there's someone willing to tell me what to do, I'll edit the topic with que images themselves. I can't attach most of them since they're HEAVY)
I believe it says this because you're trying to turn an url (which, turns into a dA page) into an image, which you can't do.

@Sad Memories C-C Doodle
I like this one. Although, the contrast is too little (I've read to keep it all balanced, which helps by looking at a histogram in PS?) and I don't quite like the shading brush you used, but I like his face+facial expression.

@Concept design for... something I don't even remember.
This has a lot more form compared to Sprite of a character for a personal project.

@Perspective practice with Photoshop.
Looks kinda wonky to me (I don't know why though, so can't help you there, since I'm really bad at perspective myself, haha). Just pointing it out.

Woah, just learned something new.
Practice = present tense verb ; Practiced = adjective (ie, practiced eye) ; Practised = past tense verb. Although, Firefox takes it as wrong...?!

truefaiterman
Veteran

#3 Post by truefaiterman »

Hey, sorry for taking so long, I'm afraid I've been a little bussy.
I believe it says this because you're trying to turn an url (which, turns into a dA page) into an image, which you can't do.
You were right, I did it wrong. Unfortunately, the pictures are too big, so I can't put them in here like that. From now on, I'll just save a little version so I can upload it here.
@Sad Memories C-C Doodle
I like this one. Although, the contrast is too little (I've read to keep it all balanced, which helps by looking at a histogram in PS?) and I don't quite like the shading brush you used, but I like his face+facial expression.
You're right, and someone actually pointed it out. I have another version with more contrast, which I'll upload right away so you can compare.
@Concept design for... something I don't even remember.
This has a lot more form compared to Sprite of a character for a personal project.
You're right again... Hmm... I think it's because the sprite doesn't have a designed lightsource. Do you think I should add it? I need more practise with this kind of drawing...
@Perspective practice with Photoshop.
Looks kinda wonky to me (I don't know why though, so can't help you there, since I'm really bad at perspective myself, haha). Just pointing it out.
Perhaps that's because the perspective itself is weird (I tried it to be like that). But I'm also not that good with technical drawing, so if anyone else has something to say about it...

And... I'm not sure about the "practice" word xD My English is a little broken, so sorry if I miss a few words.

That said, I'm posting a new painting and Sad Memories with changes.
Attachments
Sad Memories with contrast tweaked.
Sad Memories with contrast tweaked.
Macabre portrait, it has a speedpainting video here:<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqfHUVMt24o
Macabre portrait, it has a speedpainting video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqfHUVMt24o

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by chocojax »

I think it's because the sprite doesn't have a designed lightsource. Do you think I should add it? I need more practise with this kind of drawing...
You probably should. :P
And... I'm not sure about the "practice" word xD My English is a little broken, so sorry if I miss a few words.
It's s'all good! I just wondered why a few people always used "practised" instead of "practiced", but now I know why. :P

@Macabre:
I really like how it has that feel of being a "painted" digital work. The texture on the skull looks really awesome too.

Here's a photo (which looks quite good enough, but feel free to google for more) of a skull: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... r_view.jpg. I'm not sure if you were entirely stylizing it/it's a skull with skin on it, but I think you should've done the eyesocket a little bit higher, along with a higher and more pronounced cheekbone, when comparing it to her right face.

Her shoulder looks strange, kinda like you merged the trapezius with her shoulder bone/deltoid/etc. Here's a frontal view of all of the muscles: http://drtummy.com/images/stories/muscl ... _front.jpg. It's 3D, but I'm sure you get the picture.

I also can't tell what she's doing with her right/our left arm. It could just be that her skin's fallin off again and it's flapping around, but I can't really tell. It would've been better to have it slightly behind her boobs in a more natural and relaxed pose.

Also, composition might've worked better if she was moved more up/if you cut it off from the underboob, maybe? It feels slightly strange. Uh, in slightly better words, it makes me feel uncomfortable and it feels like the picture was "suddenly cut off" from the bottom. Looking at it from far away/in thumbnail size might help you figure out what I mean.

truefaiterman
Veteran

#5 Post by truefaiterman »

Oh my, you're right about the composition and the weird arms >.< I just started painting like POUR EVERYTHINGS AS IT COMES and I just felt it was creepy enought and didn't think about anything else (I'm afraid the only intentional thing was the skull, which I didn't want to be accurate as much as, as I said... creepy). BUT I'll take care (even if I've already made another portrait similar to that one).

So, next time I'll have to be careful about both composition and anatomy under the face.

Now, NEW PAINTING, and this one is... well... WTF I DON'T EVEN xD.

I know I could do better, but I just thought about it, went crazy and FOR THE LULZ. Less than two hours, actually.

I'll also put this one in the first post, since I could post a link. Also, Speedpainting video:

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

Re: Truefaiterman's drawings and paintings *UPDATE 10-8-2013

#6 Post by truefaiterman »

New painting I've made for a special project of mine. Entirely made with Sai, it's been a while since the last time I used it like that.

As always, I'll include a speedpainting vid:

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

Re: Truefaiterman's drawings and paintings *MY FIRST SPRITE

#7 Post by truefaiterman »

Here I am with a new drawing, and this one is pretty special! This is the first finished sprite I've ever made, and you can consider it my first visual novel-related job!

While doing this, I've been looking at past mistakes (thanks a lot for your feedback, chocojax!!) so this could look better, and I'm really happy with the result! I hope you like it too!

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

Re: Truefaiterman's drawings and paintings *First final spri

#8 Post by truefaiterman »

Hi! It's been a while. I've been busy with some jobs, but I suddenly felt some of that inspiration for a character last night. So as a way to rest a little from other drawings, I've made this in 2 hours or so, and trying a new way of painting. I'm pretty happy with the results, but I'd love to read your feedback, as always. Hope you like it!
Character concept made with Photoshop, from grayscale to colour.
Character concept made with Photoshop, from grayscale to colour.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

Re: Truefaiterman's drawings and paintings *UPDATE 26-11-13*

#9 Post by truefaiterman »

Wow, it's been a LONG time, isn't it? I've been busy, but I have done a lot of different stuff. Now I'll leave two new paintings:
Attachments
Atmosfera nevado ENRIQUE CARMENA FIN.jpg
Lilith en el trono infernal ENRIQUE CARMENA MAIL.jpg
Red Tears
Red Tears

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

Re: Truefaiterman's drawings and paintings *UPDATE May 26 20

#10 Post by truefaiterman »

Well, I made a lot of new stuff, but I'll just show a pair of things here and there to not saturate this.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

Ezri

Re: Truefaiterman's Art [Looking for feedback]

#11 Post by Ezri »

Your art is really impressive! The one thing I would suggest is to try using more saturated colors in your shadows. The last piece in your latest post does a really good job of this so it might not be as much of an issue lately, but in others like the one of the P5 protagonist the shadows are more black/gray and it can make the image look a little muddy.
**I have commissions open for sprites and CGs!**

truefaiterman
Veteran

#12 Post by truefaiterman »

Thanks! You are... absolutely right, to be honest xD The piece you're talking about took me way more hours than I usually spend painting, so it shows, but I have to be more careful. Funnily enough, the tho paintings you've mentioned are my last practises painting from black and white to colour, something which I... need improvement, to say the least.

I'm glad you like my art!

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

truefaiterman
Veteran

#13 Post by truefaiterman »

DOUBLE POST NO JUTSU!

Ok, it's an update, so please understand. Also, I'm SO BRUTALLY EXCITED about this painting.

High resolution picture here: http://truefaiterman.deviantart.com/art ... -481886503

It may have issues, I'm sure of it, but I don't know why I really love it, and it's one of the paintings with better feedback I've ever had so far, so... yay! (BUT, if you see weird things, still say it, I DO want to keep improving).

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by chocojax »

Damn, that looks pretty friggin awesome! I meant to post in this thread earlier, but I really wanted to say that you've improved a whole lot since the last time I've seen your work. Keep it up!! :D

Some critique:
Overall, I think you should start to work with ~100% opacity hard brushes, if you aren't already. It makes your drawings really crisp, and blurriness decreases the quality. Once you do that, I'm sure you'll get a hang of mixing blur+sharp in a good way.

The cloud painting looks awesome! You did a really good job of doing a sort of "holy fuck, that's so far up!" in my opinion. The black silhouettes at the bottom confuses my eye whenever I look at it, though. If they were brushed on the same way as everything else, it'd synch nicely.

truefaiterman
Veteran

#15 Post by truefaiterman »

Hi thar!

It's been a while, isn't it?
chocojax wrote:Overall, I think you should start to work with ~100% opacity hard brushes, if you aren't already. It makes your drawings really crisp, and blurriness decreases the quality. Once you do that, I'm sure you'll get a hang of mixing blur+sharp in a good way.

The cloud painting looks awesome! You did a really good job of doing a sort of "holy fuck, that's so far up!" in my opinion. The black silhouettes at the bottom confuses my eye whenever I look at it, though. If they were brushed on the same way as everything else, it'd synch nicely.
Thanks a lot! I'm sorry I took so long to answer you (I thought I did, actually... ^^U). You're right, some way or another, the shilouettes are too contrasted with the rest of the painting. Fortunately, the overall result has been a success, and I have learned the lesson... I hope xD.

With that said... new picture!

This one is pretty special: It's for a friend's novel which is soon to be published, an awesome story that inspired me a lot, not only with drawing, but also and more importantly, with my writing. If I keep writing, it's thanks to him. So here it is: the first "official" fan-art.

You can watch the video process here:

I hope you like it! And... if you speak Spanish, or know people who do it, please, send them the links I include in the video description, everything to help my friend is apreciated!

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Image Image