Hazel-Buns Art Dump [Critique Welcomed] [6/7]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Hazel-Buns Art Dump [Critique Welcomed] [6/7]

#1 Post by Hazel-Bun »

As the title says, I'm making an art thread/dump! I'll start this off with a floating head because, hey, logic 8D

I need help specifically with coloring but do offer any other advice! Thanks~
<><><>

Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Hazel-Bun's Art Thread [Critique Welcomed!]

#2 Post by MaiMai »

Images aren't showing up.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Hazel-Bun »

MaiMai wrote:Images aren't showing up.
Oh dang. I'll fix that tomorrow as it's really late and I can't get to my computer.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Hazel-Bun »

MaiMai wrote:Images aren't showing up.
Images should show now ^^
<><><>
Also, here's a sprite I did recently. Will most likely end up in creative commons though after I get some feedback ^^

Her name's Cheri and I haven't cleaned the lines yet.

Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

v3-kei
Regular

#5 Post by v3-kei »

Nice style!

Coloring: Make sure you do Hair color aligned with the hair strands. Alternatively, Just block it all using Bucket tool, then give a soft shade using Airbrush/Soft Brush with low opacity before doing that simple bubble highlight.

Skin is nice, needs more contrast though. Don't be afraid to use bold shading! Value is your best buddy!

Waiting for other people to give advices so I can learn too.
Moved account to fuicchi.

marimo
Regular

#6 Post by marimo »

Oo I like your style! I would suggest cleaning up your lineart/scan a bit while you're working digital with them. I also agree that you can use a bit more contrast in colors. I would also look up how to use lighting to in relation to the facial/body planes to help with where you need to apply shadow/shading. :)
ImageHonest Critique | Personal Art Thread (inactive tbh)
ImageCurrent Projects:
ImageAvailability: Commissions - Open

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Thanks for the tips, guys :D Been very busy so haven't had time to check up on this thread/free draw for it. I really like both of your styles by the way so right back at ya'!

@v3-kei That makes sense. I don't know why I have a tendency to color against the hair grain. I'll try and use you advice for both the hair and skin seeing as my coloring is still very amatuer-ish.

@marimo Yeah, unless it's a quick sketch, I do clean the lineart as I color. It's a real pain but needed nonetheless uvu Good idea. I'll try to look up some referencing when it comes to light source, shading and all that jazz so I can use it in the next piece I post!
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#8 Post by Geckos »

I really enjoy your use of pattern and the features that you exaggerate in your people. Here are some color suggestions for the more yellow tinted skin that you have on your first image. If you're trying to push your shadows, try one of these colors out.

I also changed the direction that the light is coming from for both images. These are two common lighting styles that will make a 3/4 or full front facing face look pretty nice.

Hope to see more work from you! Keep it up.
Attachments
color_suggestions.jpg
Image ImageImage

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Hazel-Bun »

@Geckos

Very helpful!!! Thank you for that quick color over :) It's helped me a lot and I'll be sure to post a colored drawing using your tips soon enough.

These two are in progress drawings of Heather and Augustus from my shelved WIP Doll*house. Here, I'd apperciated help when it comes to folds, anatomy, etc. so I can then line it and start coloring. The background will be very simple (just a bunch of trees and bushes) seeing as I'm not the best at them.

Thanks! I am also opening up for three bust request. Nothing racy and all that jazz haha. First come, first serve. Might or might not be colored depending on my mood ^^
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Hazel-Bun's Art Dump [Request Open]

#10 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Looking for request to jump start the new year :)! Probably will be similar to the bust at the very top, no more than two people though.

Hapuki
Regular
Projects: Another Glance , Osiris: Ordinance of the Thorns , The Sprout Club
Organization: Simply Happy Studios

Re: Hazel-Bun's Art Dump [Request Open]

#11 Post by Hapuki »

Bahh Hazel your art style is so unique! //*/A/*// Would it be alright if I made a request? I'd like to request you draw your hubbu- you know who I'm talking about =v=
Image Image Image

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Hazel-Bun's Art Dump [Critique Welcomed] [1/30]

#12 Post by Hazel-Bun »

@Hapuki Oh my flippin' cake I'm sorry your request is so late. I drew my hubby ages ago and I'm dumb so will post him this weekend!!!

Been neglecting this thread ;; I'm going to try and be more active this year when it comes to my art. I'll try to make it equal to my attempts to improve my writing yeah. Plus that awesome new weekly motivation thread should give me a good excuse ^^

Here's two images from a game I'm working on of the same woman. The full body is sloppy at the moment as I don't have her transparent files on hand. Will post the full range of her expressions come tomorrow or this weekend by the latest.

Critique wise I'd like advice on the coloring (attempted to use former input but doubt I succeeded), color choice and anatomy I guess. Any other flaws or thoughts are welcome as well. I know the patten I used on her jump suit got on her nails a bit so do excuse that haha was rushing as this is for a jam.
Attachments
Headshot
Headshot
Full body, don't have the transparent files on hand right now fff-
Full body, don't have the transparent files on hand right now fff-

Luce Jumble
Regular
Projects: By Angelic Invitation, ...

#13 Post by Luce Jumble »

A) I love your style! <3

B) WHY DO I FEEL LIKE I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE?? I realize this is really late, but the one picture from November with the dude with the scar in his face is very pretty! I'm just confused with the dress is he carrying her or holding her dress or?? //shot ded

C) I actually really like the color scheme! I think it fits really well with everything, honestly. I will make the argument that her nails stand out the most because that color is only used once. If the earrings were the same color, the eyes would tend to travel to her face more easily. Lol let me say that I am a total boob with colors myself and personally just pick colors that look good together but using these help me if a color scheme looks particularly boring:
3e5a5c814d89b5d5d730042b5eb7b41e.png
If all else goes wrong, you could always use color palette websites like http://www.colourlovers.com/ and http://www.colorcombos.com/ for inspiration/learning/using! Colourlovers actually lets you search by hex, so if you have one exact color that you want to use, you can probably find it being used in another scheme!

Ahahahh sorry if these are useless it's late and I'm chatty
Moved to Aurehan

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Hazel-Bun »

@Luce Ahhhhh thank you so much <3 very flattered and that color theory stuff was REALLY helpful! Ahaha yeah that old picture was rather pretty and Augustus (the scarred man) is meant to be holding her but, I drew it really strangly and it looks like Heather's floating instead orz

And speaking of floating, my floating head game has been too strong so I'm going to spam this thread with some more lol.

I'm also open for requests and junk to get into the swing if things again. It'll be slow moving when it comes to filling them though so be forewarned >>"

I'll try to put up a full colored drawing soon or two seeing as I haven't done any in over five months ahaha.
Attachments
Lumeria - AtPF
Lumeria - AtPF
The Beast - White Dove(s)
The Beast - White Dove(s)
Long overdue request of my Hubbu for Hapuki
Long overdue request of my Hubbu for Hapuki

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Hazel-Buns Art Dump [Critique Welcomed] [2/5]

#15 Post by MaiMai »

I honestly find your style charming Hazel-Bun. If I may offer a critique, it would be in improving your lineart. It seems like you're working with traditional pencil/pen and ink correct?
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)