Am I good enough to do my own sprites?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
pleasethinkofme
Regular

Am I good enough to do my own sprites?

#1 Post by pleasethinkofme »

Here's a preview of one of the characters I'm working on. I've only been doing digital stuff for about a year now, on and off - and hardly get the time for it. Obviously it isn't finished, nor is the line work all cleaned up - but any feedback would be greatly appreciated ^.^ Should I keep practicing before using my own art?
Attachments
photo (4).JPG

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

Re: Am I good enough to do my own sprites?

#2 Post by Alera »

It doesn't really matter if you're good enough or not, there are people with very little artistic abilities who still draw their own sprites and readers don't mind that. ^^ I think what you should ask yourself is: How do you want your VN to look? And does your current style fit that image? If that's how you imagine your VN, then go ahead and do it. If not then A) Keep practicing until you get to your ideal image or B) Get someone to draw for you.
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#3 Post by Destiny »

It is also a question of "Do you feel up to the work?"

It of course depends on the game. If you only make a short game with two characters and those characters have 5 or less expressions, then it is probably fine as long as you see your own art as good for the game.
If there are 15 characters where half of them have like 9 expressions and maybe also two or three sets with different clothing, then it is a LOT of work.

You should ask yourself, if you are up to work on that properly. If you think, your style and will is good for the game.
I mean, you could be the best artist in the world, if you can only make two small pictures per year, then such a task as making sprites for a game would obviously be unfit.

But from the picture preview, I see no too obvious reason to say no.
I mean, I played games like Norrland and McPixel and those are far from any details and are super heavily pixelated. They still look good, so it is really just some kind of thought in OUR head that only beautiful art that leaves one speechless is worthy of being in a game. Understandable as more and more games include 3D, are in HD and so on. But games like Super Mario World and the old Pokemon are still very popular while their art was "not THAT good".

So worry about that last.
UNLESS Alera has a point and you think that your art does not match with the story/athmosphere
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Abuelitaland
Regular
Projects: Ways To The Grave(18+/Gore), Pantyline(18+)
Tumblr: sketchyland

#4 Post by Abuelitaland »

I'd actually really like to see a VN with art like this :)
Your art's good enough to make your own sprites! definitely!

einari
Regular

#5 Post by einari »

Be proud of your art skill and your self
no body can judge it's good enough or not except yourself

But if you ask about the picture looks ok? I can say it's look good just keep it up and practice more so you can do better!

And NV you write fit your art or not is one question
if yes just do it
if no you must look other style to fit it and practice it or have someone you think it's style you look for help you

pleasethinkofme
Regular

#6 Post by pleasethinkofme »

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I honestly hadn't been expecting any x.x I'm not entirely sure I have the time to finish a visual novel right now though - but it's certainly a nice thought that if I ever do have the time, I can draw my own sprites :3

pineapplepocky
Regular

#7 Post by pineapplepocky »

As a simple answer to your question: You're good enough to do your own sprites when you're confident enough to say you can. This applies to practically everything. If you're confident you can do it, and at least try, then you're good enough to do it. It's like baby steps--if you don't think you can walk and you never even try to walk, then you're never going to walk.

also, yes. yes I think you're ready. The fact that you just posted your work here even with a little hesitation already shows you have some interest in doing it. Go for it. If someone tells you no, then keep doing it until they say yes ^_^

Visual Novel Project: Destiny Limit --> http://www.destinylimit.net/
(facebook: http://www.facebook.com/destinylimitgame)

deviantart: http://pineapple-pocky.deviantart.com/ (and open for commissions)
blog: http://www.jackieloart.com/blog/