Creating Free to Use Assets and Would Like Feedback!

Art threads specific to a single artist.
JinxedTarotCard

Creating Free to Use Assets and Would Like Feedback!

#1 Post by JinxedTarotCard »

Hello, everyone! I've been playing VNs (mostly otome games) and would like to create some free to use assets for people who can't afford to pay for artwork for their games. =3 I'm not taking specific requests, though. Just making some general ones that anyone can use. I would however like feedback on what type of things people would like to see. Like what type of artstyle, characters, facial expressions, clothing, and types of environments.

I plan on making 3 different sets, Modern Day, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi. Each of them will have will have character sprites and a few backgrounds. I'd also like to know which one of these sets you'd like to see done first. It would also be nice to know what's a good resolution to make them. I'm thinking at around 2000px would be good.

I'm a bit busy right now, so I won't be starting up on these until around January. I'd like to start getting suggestions now, though. =P

Check out my DeviantArt gallery if you'd like to see some of my artwork. ^_^

Azariah
Regular
Projects: Ready, Set, Go!
Organization: Multiple Error

Re: Creating Free to Use Assets and Would Like Feedback!

#2 Post by Azariah »

General ones?

Probably a girl with long/short black/brown hair, are the common appearances of female sprites. :) As for male, black hair with good bangs is what my mind tells me. xD

Japanese school uniforms are also very used around VN's, but be sure to include a normal civilian outfit. :)
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can be achieved."
- Napoleon Hill

JinxedTarotCard

#3 Post by JinxedTarotCard »

Azariah wrote:General ones?

Probably a girl with long/short black/brown hair, are the common appearances of female sprites. :) As for male, black hair with good bangs is what my mind tells me. xD

Japanese school uniforms are also very used around VN's, but be sure to include a normal civilian outfit. :)
Thanks! Feel free to suggest uncommon things as well. Like, centaurs. XD
I'm thinking about making the bodies, clothing and hair separate. That way people can mix and match to get closer to what they want.

Azariah
Regular
Projects: Ready, Set, Go!
Organization: Multiple Error

#4 Post by Azariah »

JinxedTarotCard wrote:
Thanks! Feel free to suggest uncommon things as well. Like, centaurs. XD
Haha. xD Well, I wanna see violet-haired girl sprites with cute pig tails, something like that...or you could try doing some hot bishojo women. Hehe. xD Light green/pink -haired guys are also rare so you could try doing some! :) That's pretty much the most uncommon appearances of sprites that I personally would love to see/use. xD
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can be achieved."
- Napoleon Hill

JinxedTarotCard

#5 Post by JinxedTarotCard »

Now that I think of it, the only time I've ever seen guys in a VN with pink hair has been the Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side games. o.o I'll be sure to add them to the list along with pigtails. =)

JinxedTarotCard

#6 Post by JinxedTarotCard »

I will be starting on the sprites soon! Would still be nice to get some suggestions before I start!

Juneberry
Regular
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Deadly Heart

#7 Post by Juneberry »

In terms of fantasy, perhaps the 'tall dark and handsome' type with a nice long cloak? *shot*
Probably might be neat to have people with wings in general. Or halos. Or something.

I think...Using clothes you particularly thing are neat would be neat too.

And I like your idea of making it sort of mix and match. But I also just like you're doing something so nice for everyone~

JinxedTarotCard

#8 Post by JinxedTarotCard »

Thanks! I wanted to give back to the otome gaming community and this also gives me samples to show to people who are looking to buy custom sprites. So it's a win all around!

I know there are a lot of free sprites and things available already, so that's why I want to get feedback to find out what isn't normally available.

Thanks again for giving feedback! =D

Head_Phones
Regular
Projects: Clichéd

#9 Post by Head_Phones »

I hope I'm not too late :O

I'd like to see a 30/40-ish man. Slightly younger than middle aged, I'd think. I just haven't seen many (or any at all) of those.

Ooo! Or a talking phone!

Or pretty teenage male twins with hip hop clothing!

Sorry, you don't actually have to draw any of these. I would genuinely like to see the middle-aged-ish sprite though. That'd be awesome.

Good luck drawing!
'You may be a cunning linguist, but I am a master debater'
~Austin Powers

Profile pic drawn by the wonderful akemicchi

|| Honest Critique ||

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#10 Post by pyopyon »

If you're making them mix-n-match, then may I humbly request a variety of skintones?

Just a nice set of browns would be good! Dark brown, medium brown, tan, peach, pale white... all of the skin tones!
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

JinxedTarotCard

#11 Post by JinxedTarotCard »

Head_Phones wrote:I hope I'm not too late :O

I'd like to see a 30/40-ish man. Slightly younger than middle aged, I'd think. I just haven't seen many (or any at all) of those.

Ooo! Or a talking phone!

Or pretty teenage male twins with hip hop clothing!

Sorry, you don't actually have to draw any of these. I would genuinely like to see the middle-aged-ish sprite though. That'd be awesome.

Good luck drawing!
Nope, you're not too late! I'm actually going to be a bit later starting this than I thought because I'm doing some art studies to up my quality a bit before I start.

Those are all good suggestions, though! I never thought about doing a set of twins before. Not sure how I would do a talking phone. XD

Thanks for the feedback!

JinxedTarotCard

#12 Post by JinxedTarotCard »

pyopyon wrote:If you're making them mix-n-match, then may I humbly request a variety of skintones?

Just a nice set of browns would be good! Dark brown, medium brown, tan, peach, pale white... all of the skin tones!
Of course! I'm a PoC myself, so I would love to see more otome games with PoC. =D