Azariah's Art Stuff.

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Azariah
Regular
Projects: Ready, Set, Go!
Organization: Multiple Error

Azariah's Art Stuff.

#1 Post by Azariah »

So, I don't know why but I feel like my art is very much lacking with something in which I dunno wut. (T^T)>

I would really love it if you critique my art in general...you know, not aiming for a specific artsu, but rather, what I should change in my style, if necessary, as well as anatomy problems in which common of my arts you notice that I have trouble with. T-T OR anything you see worthy of correcting. Thank you very much, I badly want to improve my art. :)
You can view more if you want in mah DA Account here. xD

I'll be opening some art requests as well, not sprites with complete sets of emotions though, maybe just more of a decently made waist-up concept art for your characters. :) Just post ahead. :3

1.) Armee [done]
2.) Tag- [wip]
3.) Hazel-bun [not started]
Last edited by Azariah on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can be achieved."
- Napoleon Hill

JinxedTarotCard

Re: Azariah's Art Stuff.

#2 Post by JinxedTarotCard »

The main thing I notice that's a bit off about your art is the proportions, mostly the heads. The head sizes aren't very consistent and some of them look too big compared to the rest of the person's body, like in the picture with the brown haired guy and black haired girl.

Other than that, something looks a bit off with your coloring to me. How are you picking the colors for your highlights and shadows?

Azariah
Regular

#3 Post by Azariah »

JinxedTarotCard wrote:The main thing I notice that's a bit off about your art is the proportions, mostly the heads. The head sizes aren't very consistent and some of them look too big compared to the rest of the person's body, like in the picture with the brown haired guy and black haired girl.

Other than that, something looks a bit off with your coloring to me. How are you picking the colors for your highlights and shadows?
I knew it. O.O (Ok, I don't xD) You're right about the head sizes. T^T I should've used guidelines for making the head proportion to the body. Thank you for pointing that out! I'll try and get those fixed with my next arts. ^-^

I randomly choose the shadow/tone colors, just as long as I see them okay, I'll go for it. ^-^ Some are saying I should use the color picker and choose the right shadow/tones from other art stuff, but I always end up choosing my color preferences in the end. T^T
- Napoleon Hill

JinxedTarotCard

#4 Post by JinxedTarotCard »

Azariah wrote:I knew it. O.O (Ok, I don't xD) You're right about the head sizes. T^T I should've used guidelines for making the head proportion to the body. Thank you for pointing that out! I'll try and get those fixed with my next arts. ^-^

I randomly choose the shadow/tone colors, just as long as I see them okay, I'll go for it. ^-^ Some are saying I should use the color picker and choose the right shadow/tones from other art stuff, but I always end up choosing my color preferences in the end. T^T
I have the same problem with drawing heads too big, too. I'm always checking them now, so i can correct myself. XD A nice way to check head proportions is to compare it to the ribcage, if the head is bigger or about the same size, there's a good chance it's too big.

You don't have to color pick picture, unless you really like the color scheme in it. Try using opposite warm and cold colors for your light/shadows. For instance, use s warm color like yellow for light and a cold color like blue for shadows. You can even reverse it and use cold light and warm shadows. It's a really simple thing that can make your artwork look better. ^_^

Azariah
Regular

#6 Post by Azariah »

JinxedTarotCard wrote:
I have the same problem with drawing heads too big, too. I'm always checking them now, so i can correct myself. XD A nice way to check head proportions is to compare it to the ribcage, if the head is bigger or about the same size, there's a good chance it's too big.

You don't have to color pick picture, unless you really like the color scheme in it. Try using opposite warm and cold colors for your light/shadows. For instance, use s warm color like yellow for light and a cold color like blue for shadows. You can even reverse it and use cold light and warm shadows. It's a really simple thing that can make your artwork look better. ^_^
Awesome! Thank you very much for the tip. I shall try and do that suggestion of yours! :) Thanks for the color tips as well, I will surely keep them in mind! \\(^_^)// Thank you very much!
Armee wrote: Can I ask for this baby from Lucente?
http://twitter.com/t0x3y/status/4104271 ... 80/photo/1
http://gyazo.com/5249d835e09da020ddb26155a13bb355
Yes! :) (I love his haaaiiir!) xD I'll work on it! :)
- Napoleon Hill

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#7 Post by Tag- »

I think the main thing you should work on besides general anatomy is your colouring, or more specifically the colours you choose to colour with. (Anatomy is a lifelong struggle D: ).
That's not to say that your colour choices are bad, but I believe you can be bolder with the colours you choose to shade with! :D. For example, instead of choosing just a darker colour to shade with, try a darker shade that's slightly warmer or cooler.

I also noticed that you use a lot of greys/blacks, and while there's nothing wrong with that, it does look a bit flat. What you can do is choose a grey color that is verrrry slightly purple or blue. This will give your greys and blacks more dimension :D. I've attached some examples so you'll see what I mean, just eye drop them on your drawing program of choice ^_^.

You're on the right track drawing wise :D. I particularly love the way you draw hair. I can never get mine to look right, haha ;;v;;.
While I'm here, could I request a drawing of this guy? (In chibi form or not, up to you. I'd like to see a non-chibi of him :D).

Thank you, and I hope this helps a little!
Use of greys and black :D
Use of greys and black :D
Colour and shading! Eyedrop the colours~
Colour and shading! Eyedrop the colours~
PM me if needed

Azariah
Regular

#8 Post by Azariah »

For Armee :)
Hehem here it is, hope you like it. :)
Hehem here it is, hope you like it. :)
That's not to say that your colour choices are bad, but I believe you can be bolder with the colours you choose to shade with! :D. For example, instead of choosing just a darker colour to shade with, try a darker shade that's slightly warmer or cooler.

I also noticed that you use a lot of greys/blacks, and while there's nothing wrong with that, it does look a bit flat. What you can do is choose a grey color that is verrrry slightly purple or blue. This will give your greys and blacks more dimension :D. I've attached some examples so you'll see what I mean, just eye drop them on your drawing program of choice ^_^.
Ah yes, I totally understand your point! The truth is, I'm a bit afraid to use other colors besides black and grey for shadows, cause I always thought it would look out of the picture, but I guess I was wrong. ^-^ xD I'll try and explore more colors for shadings until I get used it. :) Thank you very much for this wonderful tip, I will definitely put it into good use! \\(^ O ^)//
Tag- wrote: You're on the right track drawing wise :D. I particularly love the way you draw hair. I can never get mine to look right, haha ;;v;;.
Thank you! I'm glad you think so. xD
Tag- wrote: While I'm here, could I request a drawing of this guy? (In chibi form or not, up to you. I'd like to see a non-chibi of him :D).

Thank you, and I hope this helps a little!
The attachment request - Itwasneveradream.png is no longer available
The attachment painting headshots_04.png is no longer available
Yes I'll give the cute little guy a shot. :D
- Napoleon Hill

Armee
Veteran

#9 Post by Armee »

He looks lovely :D Thank you very much! I love it so <3 Hope you will improve more in the future ^^~

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#10 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Can I get a picture of either The Man or The Child in my WIP "All the Pretty Flowers"? Link's in my sig :)
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Azariah
Regular

#11 Post by Azariah »

Hazel-Bun wrote:Can I get a picture of either The Man or The Child in my WIP "All the Pretty Flowers"? Link's in my sig :)
Ah, sure thing! :) I'll try and do The Man since my art style fits for the more mature males. :)
- Napoleon Hill