Character design critique?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
lemonokashi
Regular

Character design critique?

#1 Post by lemonokashi »

This is the first concept design for Ella in my new project "Wrapped Up". If anyone would be willing to critique the design and point out anything that could make it better or suit her personality description more; I would be eternally grateful. So a little info on Ella:
- She's a fairy (obviously)
- She is very sweet, but also dutiful and a bit of a coward
- The only person she is truly close to is her best friend Khonsu (the protagonist)
- Last but not least, she is very artistic, but is too shy to show it
Ella 2.jpg
Ella 2 copy.jpg
Thanks for the help!
Last edited by lemonokashi on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

2dt
Regular

Re: Character design critique?

#2 Post by 2dt »

Just within this picture, her stance doesn't strike me as the shy, timid type. She looks like the bold, assertive, and hopeful sort.

Try placing her arms closer in, her feet closer together, less spread out, perhaps even her eyes looking slightly downward as opposed to upward. Basically, make her gesture match her character. The apparent width of her stance may also be due to the volume of the lower half of the dress itself, so maybe think about tightening it up a bit.

She's artistic, but in what regard? I feel like her attire is a little too plain for an artistic type, even if she's shy about it. Hell it may even be plain by general fairy standards. Add some subtle extras (stuff on wrist, patterns around the waist,

The art itself is gorgeous though. Coloring is great.

lemonokashi
Regular

#3 Post by lemonokashi »

2dt wrote:Just within this picture, her stance doesn't strike me as the shy, timid type. She looks like the bold, assertive, and hopeful sort.

Try placing her arms closer in, her feet closer together, less spread out, perhaps even her eyes looking slightly downward as opposed to upward. Basically, make her gesture match her character. The apparent width of her stance may also be due to the volume of the lower half of the dress itself, so maybe think about tightening it up a bit.

She's artistic, but in what regard? I feel like her attire is a little too plain for an artistic type, even if she's shy about it. Hell it may even be plain by general fairy standards. Add some subtle extras (stuff on wrist, patterns around the waist,

The art itself is gorgeous though. Coloring is great.
Thanks! I'll try to add some accessories or patterns in the next design. The pose was just for the sake of clearly showing her clothes/figure, but thank you so much for the suggestion.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

Moved to Personal Art, because that's what it is.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira