My art journey~

Art threads specific to a single artist.
King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

Re: My art journey~

#16 Post by King-sama »

kosetsu wrote:What beautiful skies! You could try making some edges softer for variation. Also in the sunset image, bringing some of the purple in the sky into the clouds. It's kind of difficult to explain in words, but this photo is an example of the soft vs. crisp and the distribution of colors: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EoX0QQA6xeE/U ... et_sky.jpg . I don't know if those things would clash with your style. Your skies have a refreshing look, and I really like the atmospheric perspective!
Thank you ^////^
I get what you mean, no worries. And I can use these refs as a pasic ref and then change it how I would like later 8]

King-sama
Veteran

#17 Post by King-sama »

Haven't posted from ages -_-''......Tried to practice a bush this time. Honestly don't really feel motivated to learn/practice anything 'anime'. No matter what I can't make it appealing....
Attachments
tree.png
tree.png (102.55 KiB) Viewed 2761 times

King-sama
Veteran

#18 Post by King-sama »

I saw a cloud tutorial so tried this o_o (I forget about the brushes I made..last year)
Guess it's better than my previous pic

Critiques are welcome //tho, lemma seems to be so dead. where everyone just gone?
Attachments
cloud.png
cloud.png (89.78 KiB) Viewed 2751 times

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#19 Post by runeraccoon »

I love your style! (For some reason I could only see the sky and bushes pic)

They're cute and refreshing, and I saw android game apps with similar style to those, so it's really flavorful and versatile. The solid shape, I imagine, also makes them easier to replicate in Illustrator/other vector programs, which makes them awesome for resizable games.

Please continue your good work!

King-sama
Veteran

#20 Post by King-sama »

Thank you! ^//^ (sorry for late reply) you can't see it coz I deleted them and only left the bushes and sky ones

Hmm, I wonder what are those android game apps you are talking about o3o
I guess backgrounds in general can be resized? that's only my opinion..^^'
Thank you for your flattering words. I will try to continue! 8D

Here's another cloud tryout ^^' I looked up some real clouds to know how it works. I guess it's better?
Attachments
another cloud.png

King-sama
Veteran

#21 Post by King-sama »

I tried doing grass~
What do you think?
Attachments
grass.png

King-sama
Veteran

#22 Post by King-sama »

Clouds at night.....
How can I improve it?
Attachments
night scene.png

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#23 Post by PyTom »

Well, unless you're going for a stylized sailor-moon look, the moon doesn't look like that. It's solid, and the stars are behind it, so they won't been seen in the dark areas. Similarly, the phases of the moon are caused by the sun, and so go from the north to the south pole of the moon (more or less) - where in your picture, the two points are far closer.

Lastly, the moon's light tends to cause a sort of weird circle of illumination in the clouds.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/334 ... 2768_o.jpg
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

King-sama
Veteran

#24 Post by King-sama »

Oh pytom themselves! o: thank you for taking the time to write your critique!
I couldn't get some of what you said..but yeah, I tried to do an anime style moon ^^' and yeah it was a full moon at first and I made it like that in the last seconds and didn't realize the stars behind..lol; still a beginner in backgrounds //I have a long way to go xD; thanks for ponting that, it was very helpful~ //needs to think in deep

King-sama
Veteran

#25 Post by King-sama »

Practicing sky colors at down ^^'
Looked up real life references. Next I will maybe look up anime once!
Attachments
sky colors.png

King-sama
Veteran

Re: My art journey~ (critiques are desired)

#26 Post by King-sama »

Suggest me something to draw (like a simple part in a background coz....still nooby ^^') if you got a sec..//if you like to see me improve..

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

#27 Post by hiko27 »

I'd like to actually add a bit into Pytom's explanation about the moon (because I'm such a nerd for astronomy): The moon's phases isn't just influenced by the Sun, but also by the positioning of the Moon itself. Here's a drawing depicting the moon's phases depending on where its position is. And I think the weird shape of your moon can pretty much be fixed by referencing from the image I linked to. And also, as he mentioned, you won't be able to see them, but I'd like to correct you WILL see them in darker areas (more specifically at the edges of your drawing, if the moon is small enough/not in the picture), except near the moon. The moon is reflecting the light of the Sun, hence why it glows. And because most of the stars in the sky are a million light years away (with exception of Sun, closest is actually Alpha Centauri, which is ~4 light years away), it's going to be hard for you to see most of them the closer they are to the moon's glow (that is, it really depends on where your setting is, as I'll explain in the next paragraph). Because the moon's reflected light is much closer (hence, much brighter), it'll drown out the light from the stars close to it. (Another, more scientific, nerdy way to explain why the star's light is drowned out is because of the inverse square law, which pretty much says that the farther the light travels, the more spread out it will be, and because of that, the less bright it will be when the light finally reaches you; Moon is closer, hence light covers less distance where you're at, while the star's would have most likely covered a million miles by the time it gets to you). This would apply to all other types of sources. Because light sources here on Earth are closer to you, they'll drown out the star's lights (hence why I mentioned light pollution below).

And another is you also gotta be mindful of where your drawing is. If you're away from all the light pollution (pretty much cities), you're going to have a darker sky (by that, I mean you'll have black around the edges), and be able to see more stars (as well as elevation; the higher you are, the more stars you'll see. You'll most likely see the Milky Way as well). If your drawing is set in the city, you'll barely see any stars at all because of all the light. So I suggest to figure out where your setting is.

Also, as for the clouds, seeing as the perspective is from the bottom left, you might see hints of the moon's reflected light shining on top of the clouds, but most of the time, it'll be a really dark grey for the bottom of the clouds. Also, it's probably just me but that Moon looks way too close. That is, unless they're on top of a tall mountain. I'd also like to mention the direction of your clouds. They're too perpendicular if they're going into the same vanishing point. If the vanishing point is actually in between those two clouds, the wispy, cirrus clouds should be in the direction of that vanishing point. Idk if this makes sense, but if it doesn't, I'd be glad to redline if that helps. Drawing the vanishing point might also help you with the size of the moon.

Hope that helps. And sorry for me going on about astronomy, I get too excited whenever it comes to that topic. As for a suggestion, I'd actually like to see you try painting a daytime scene of something, with the clouds visible. Sun doesn't have to be in the picture, but it's up to you. The perspective can be from either above the clouds, or below. The scene can be anything, but I personally like anything that's very peaceful (aka somewhere in nature, or maybe a quaint cottage in the middle of the grasslands with forests and mountains in the back, or maybe perspective from above the clouds, looking down onto the ocean with birds flying closeby). I'm not sure if you used Photoshop's premade gradients in those samples you recently posted, but it seems like it to me. I'd suggest to do the gradient manually (or at least, don't use their premade gradients). If not, that's fine.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

King-sama
Veteran

#28 Post by King-sama »

Wooooooooooow! this is the longest feedback I have ever received! O,O I need a video about what you were saying to better understand it..
You are like a library! O.o seems that I will always find it too hard to draw moons since a lot of people love them....oh gosh... especially also that I know nothing about them myself ^^'
Sure I would like to see a redlining/color over, it will help a lot! 8) (that if you still feel like doing it, if not then, it's ok~) and thank you for your novel like comment XD you really know a lot!

OK, daytime of relaxing scene it is! (too lazy to draw right now..but I will later ^^")
and nope, I didn't use photoshop's premade gradients...otherwise I can't call that a 'practice', right?

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#29 Post by Didules »

Hello!!
Sorry I don't have much of a critique to say, because your skies (and your tree) looks really good! I'm deeply impressed, honestly! I love the way you use such saturated colors, it looks great!
King-sama wrote:I saw a cloud tutorial so tried this o_o (I forget about the brushes I made..last year)
Sorry to bother you but I was wondering... would you please (please please please) share this tutorial? (I know it won't make my clouds look as awesome as yours because it needs practice and will to achieve such a result, but I'm curious ^^)
Anyway thanks for sharing your artwork, and please keep on the good work! =)

King-sama
Veteran

#30 Post by King-sama »

Didules wrote:Hello!!
Sorry I don't have much of a critique to say, because your skies (and your tree) looks really good! I'm deeply impressed, honestly! I love the way you use such saturated colors, it looks great!
King-sama wrote:I saw a cloud tutorial so tried this o_o (I forget about the brushes I made..last year)
Sorry to bother you but I was wondering... would you please (please please please) share this tutorial? (I know it won't make my clouds look as awesome as yours because it needs practice and will to achieve such a result, but I'm curious ^^)
Anyway thanks for sharing your artwork, and please keep on the good work! =)
Well, I am still a beginner with backgrounds ^^' but thanks for your nice words! 8)
Sure! it's not a bother at all! ^^ here it is! http://www.mclelun.com/blog/2015/01/smu ... ime-cloud/
If you really wanted to improve you need to have faith in yourself firstly, so don't be so hard on yourself <3