Trying to learn how to draw [Feedback&Requests]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Hoyuu
Regular

Re: Trying to learn how to draw [Feedback&Requests]

#16 Post by Hoyuu »

Welp, it's been a while since I posted anything so here are some linearts of two characters for a visual novel I'm working on:
The girl name is Cecil and the guy's Johan.
The girl name is Cecil and the guy's Johan.
It's been a while since I did lineart but I think it turned out ok! i'm not gonna say much about the vn since there's a lot of things still missing :'D

Probably gonna post here again after I finish coloring to show you the finished sprites, but what do you think? Did the lineart turn out ok?

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#17 Post by King-sama »

What I think that will make your art look better is to give it some more exaggeration and flow~ 8) you probably just need to practice your hand more often to get that result~ ; D your art is nice overall tho!

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#18 Post by zankizuna »

Your drawings are so nice and clean :3
I just saw how much you've improved since your first artworks :D
Can you try drawing my character 'Flair'?
http://orig15.deviantart.net/d359/f/201 ... 7xr7pi.png

Hoyuu
Regular

#19 Post by Hoyuu »

King-sama wrote:What I think that will make your art look better is to give it some more exaggeration and flow~ 8) you probably just need to practice your hand more often to get that result~ ; D your art is nice overall tho!
Yeah, I really need to practice drawing more bodies, most of the time I just keep doodling faces and hair, probably the reason the flow in my drawings is not the best :´D thanks for the tip tho!

zankizuna wrote:Your drawings are so nice and clean :3
I just saw how much you've improved since your first artworks :D
Can you try drawing my character 'Flair'?
http://orig15.deviantart.net/d359/f/201 ... 7xr7pi.png
Aww, thank you <3!
Yep, it doesn't seem like it when I'm drawing, but comparing my art now to fist attempts really shows that I am improving xD
Still terrible at coloring tho :´D
And sure, here you go~!
Flair.png
Hope you like it, she was really fun to draw <3~!
Was trying to do a pose that I never really tried before, so sorry if she's awkward looking :´D

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#20 Post by zankizuna »

Yaaay! Thanks! She looks cute, drawn by you! Hoped it helped you practice!

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#21 Post by Coren »

Hoyuu wrote:I only saw your message today, sorry for the wait :'D
layner.png
I admit, I only wanted to draw him because of his hair.
I hope you like it, and sorry for having butchered your character, asjknkasj.
Ahh thanks so much for drawing Layner!!! :D

CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

#22 Post by CSV »

Oh, your art improved by leaps and bounds since the last time I saw it. I love your character linearts!
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Hoyuu
Regular

#23 Post by Hoyuu »

@zankizuna: I'm glad that you liked it! And yes, drawing her was good practice :,D

@Coren: You're welcome, it was fun drawing him :3

@CSV: Thanks <3 I don't even know how I improved so much, I don't really practice as much as I should >.<''....

I actually just bought a new (and very cheap :,D) tablet since my old one stoped working and finished the sprites! Here you go~!
Ahahaha, how do I even color??????
Ahahaha, how do I even color??????
And here's the protag! His name's Aiden.
aidenf.png
aidenf.png (89.99 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
As you guys can probably tell, coloring is still not my strongest point... But welp, what do you guys think? Would you play a VN with this art? Kinda generic anime art style but I tried to make them look good at least :,D
Feedback is welcome!

Hoyuu
Regular

#24 Post by Hoyuu »

Just two quick sketch a made to test a new way to color hair and eyes.
His ponytail is a mess, I know, but I only noticed it after I almost finished coloring it... :´D
His ponytail is a mess, I know, but I only noticed it after I almost finished coloring it... :´D
This time I tried to color the hair withouth lineart... It looks messy as heck lol
This time I tried to color the hair withouth lineart... It looks messy as heck lol
Which way of coloring do you guys like most? The one I used on the sprites I posted earlier, or one of these two?
Thinking about making some free sprites for practice with one of those coloring styles, but I'm still not sure which.

There are some super pretty sprites already in the creative commons though, would someone even use mine--

King-sama
Veteran

#25 Post by King-sama »

The new one I like more, tho I can say that you might want to add cell shadings too to skin and hair 8) like this one for example ---> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3HXV ... 4da983.png
It would look nicer in my opinion

I would like to see your future sprites :) your art is nice

Hoyuu
Regular

#26 Post by Hoyuu »

@King-sama: Aww, thank you <3' Your bgs are really, really nice! I kinda want to learn how to draw bgs too, but first I'll wait until I'm satisfied with my character art.
Also, I'll try the cell shading in this sprite and see how it turns out!
When you say you liked the new one more, wich one were you refering to? The one with blond hair or the pinkish one?
I would like to color more sprites with the two styles since they were fun to try! There seems to be more girl sprites in the CC tho, so maybe I'll make a man in one style and a woman with the other...? But then the coloring style would be kinda inconsistent, agh decisions xD

Would be nice if I knew what type of characters people are in need of. Thinking about making a middle aged man or woman since almost all my drawings are of teen or young adults, but then again most VNs are about teens or young adults, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know the halloween is ending already, but drawing a witch, a vampire or even a ghost would be fun, too.
There are so many sprites of people in high school uniforms already tho, so that's the one I definetly don't wanna draw :,D
Probably gonna make the sprite next week since I have lots of things to do in this one, but in the mean time, anyone has suggestions?

King-sama
Veteran

#27 Post by King-sama »

Thanks! XD and trust me, backgrounds are easier to learn than characters lol it's waay more simpler than characters, I am surprised that people keep saying it is hard, it's not. And do you have any insperations?? for character art?? Coz if you wanna get satisfied faster with your character art, having inspirational artist will get you to know what YOU love to see and easier to follow them (coz they will probably have tuts etc lol but even without them having them will still help!)
Post them here coz I wanna see~~ 8D
Honestly, I liked the pinkish more, the way you did hair seem more flowy and smoother than the blonde. You can draw it linelessy and then add lines later if you want lol, but I think it looks alright the way it is
Hmm....since you are still improving, inconsistency is a good thing. If you added the two heads next to each other I won't realize the difference

I am guessing people probably need older sprites (the ones with wrinkles lol) kids, and pets (and probably masculine ones..) since these are rare and everyone is scared to draw them xD
But then people also wanna the sprites to be all with the same style so you can still draw teens and young adults, too
I would love to see the Halloween sprites~ You can make a set of them! 8D this way people are more likely to use them

warmsundae
Regular
Soundcloud: lanterny

#28 Post by warmsundae »

God, your drawings are gorgeous. The colors are nice and something about your style is really comfortable to look at. The white hair seems like a more vector-style drawing, and I kinda like how it clashes with the face. Your character designs look inspired, do you have any artists that you admire in particular?

You could try drawing children, but judging by the visual novels on LSF, they're not in very high demand. Other than that middle-aged people would be cool.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by indoneko »

You could try drawing children, but judging by the visual novels on LSF, they're not in very high demand.
How about drawing children version of renpy mascot characters? I've never seen anyone made them (chibi version doesn't count)
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

King-sama
Veteran

#30 Post by King-sama »

This is the explanation of what I said in August
yay.png
-Dynamic poses look nicer to the eyes. Using S and C and I lines will do
-Same with clothes folds and hair
-Glasses: the thing in the middle (dunno what it's called..) takes the nose shape, and connect with the other parts in the top