Pixel Sprites Big n' Small.

Art threads specific to a single artist.
ChillTaco
Regular

Pixel Sprites Big n' Small.

#1 Post by ChillTaco »

Yea. That tittle kinda makes me sound like an Attention Horse. And I am. I like attention. But that's beside the point, I mostly am kinda concerned. You see my experience with sprite making is usually of these itty bittsy things used in 24-16bit games.

Im not so good at making my uhh.... full on art stuff into sprites, like stuff made in sai or Photoshop. All around its just easy for me to continue using the art program I used for other games. But Im not used to turning my tiny lil sprites into big guys. Ill just put a couple up for now.

The face is cut off, only cause I messed it. Ill fix that later. I put da little wan tuuu Image

And heres some random junk I made On my wii U gamepad. I thought about Using that to make sprites... than I changed my mind only cause I would never be able to build a good bg to match it, and cause they taaaake waaaay to long to draw. Just posting it cause why not? Lol.

Last edited by ChillTaco on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

Re: Opinions Please

#2 Post by Dylan_Bain »

Well, it is most certainly good to know that you can do 16 bit sprites, many people find that extremely difficult.

As for what you have done, I think you have done well. It is clean and sticks to the original piece.
The way that many artists do it (like in pokemon and so forth), is they will make either the small sprite or the big sprite, and then resize that. They will then clean it up, but they have the basic shape right.

Hope i could help!

Dylan Bain
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Thirteen
Regular
Completed: A Walk in the Woods
Projects: Unamed Game
Tumblr: houseflesh

#3 Post by Thirteen »

Personally I come from a spriting background art wise, and if this is you're first attempt at trying to make pixel based biggie sprites I think you did a really nice job! The dithering and shading is A+

Can I give you a little bit of friendly advice though? I think it would look really nice if you make the outer lines of the biggie sprite thicker. Sorta like a Yoshi's island deal. I think that would help your work flow a lot better, and you won't have to worry about thin lines looking off when they do the thing
gross pixel line thing.png
gross pixel line thing.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
That thing.

Overall I think a VN with a sorta pixel-y style would be super appealing visually. I'd definitely dig it.

ChillTaco
Regular

#4 Post by ChillTaco »

Yea, I hate it when the lines do that thing. I think thicker lines would probably suit it better. When I think about it.... bigger dude means more pixels so I should add more pixels. Alrighty, I better go clean some stiff up. Thank you guyz 4 da opinions.

Im also pretty stoked that you think my dirty pixels look A+. My confidence is bananas right now. So thanks.

ChillTaco
Regular

Re: Pixel Sprites Big n' Small.

#5 Post by ChillTaco »

Decided to rename dis wan. Anyway recently I was told that my Baseball boy was kinda poo... and it was. LOL>SO I changed it abit. I think its less stiff. Gota admit it was pretty stiff though. Looked like he had to poo real bad before... and all around I was lazy with it.

Before
Image Image
AFTER

I got some really generic sprites done bigger. The images are kinda dirty but OH WELL. The skin color was on purpose. This is only 2 out of 15 different poses. 2 out of 25 different expressions I plan to make so cut me some slack...

The robot is done... ish. Its 1 out of 18 different poises. 1 out 9 different expressions. His face is supposed to make you uncomfortable.

And I guess a concept piece cause, yea, these poises are really generic....

Im thinking about animating the small sprites in the background for different scenes in a VN, probably the hole of the VN. Would you guys find something like that attractive to play?

ChillTaco
Regular

Re: Pixel Sprites Big n' Small.

#6 Post by ChillTaco »

Some of these guys are really tall. Im going to have to shrink all of my sprites I think to fit. I cant even get leg action with the tall ones. Thunder cowboy is one of my favorites. Only cause He is so simple and has a fun ability, like being able to move his fingers weird like thunder... broken bones 4thewin? Pose 1 of 12. Expression 1 of 5.

I screwed up the shading.