z04's art dump [Livestream Off]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Message
Author
User avatar
sorani
Veteran
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm
Projects: What Do You See?, Lok
Contact:

z04's art dump [Livestream Off]

#1 Post by sorani » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:48 pm

Hi~ I'm a wandering artist and I need to draw.
In order to improve, I've been trying to draw everyday, well trying at least.
Just gonna drop everything I draw on the free time here~
Critique is appreciated because my anatomy is sucky and my perspective is lacking, yeah I need to draw.


Finished:
(Quick paintings done during my free time)

shokugeki no souma fanart
Image

WIP: (Everything here is going to be stuff I'm currently working on)

Lok sprites
Image
Faceless Girl sprites
Image
Commission concept art sketches
Image
Attachments
rinima2preview.png
Last edited by sorani on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Image
Flavors.me

Art Dump

Commissions
Projects: Closed
Illustrations: Open

Honest Critique

User avatar
SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2275
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#2 Post by SundownKid » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:32 am

Your art isn't too shabby. I think the main problem I'm seeing is that the linework looks really "sketchy". You should focus more on trying to do everything with single strokes, and that might also make things a bit less stiff since the lines wouldn't be as thick.

User avatar
sorani
Veteran
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm
Projects: What Do You See?, Lok
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#3 Post by sorani » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:23 pm

SundownKid wrote:Your art isn't too shabby. I think the main problem I'm seeing is that the linework looks really "sketchy". You should focus more on trying to do everything with single strokes, and that might also make things a bit less stiff since the lines wouldn't be as thick.
Thanks for the advice~
I'm a bit confused which piece you're talking about, but if you're talking about the last one, then I forgot to mention that those are sketches.
I work mostly by painting, so I start with a thick sketch and while I paint, I'll clean it up.
I've done clean lineart before, but my lineart is pretty stiff, that's why I try to make loose paintings.
But thanks for your comment~
Image
Flavors.me

Art Dump

Commissions
Projects: Closed
Illustrations: Open

Honest Critique

User avatar
chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 694
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:27 am
Completed: http://art.jphi.me/projects
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Organization: spaceNote
Tumblr: chocojax
Github: jenniferphi
Location: California
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#4 Post by chocojax » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Aw shoot, I really like the way you used the colors for the painterly ones. :3c

shokugeki no souma fanart:
- Perspective on his right (our left) arm looks funky. Perhaps it should've been moved up a tad bi tmore, and a little bit more hidden by his chest.
- Shading on his face makes it appear strangely rounded (due to the straight-then-curve-at-the-end shadows). Would be better if it "followed" his face more, or had some more variety in shape. (I'm kinda wording this weird, so I can do a redraw if you'd like. '3')

Lok sprites (left):
- His body looks rather simple below the neck (in comparison to the right sprite), maybe try to exaggerate bumps and curves a bit more?
- His collar on the right extends too far out
- Low contrast between the bottom of his vest (?) and the shawl (?), also the disappearance of indent lines on the vest make it look like vest and shawl are merging

User avatar
sorani
Veteran
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm
Projects: What Do You See?, Lok
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#5 Post by sorani » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:34 pm

chocojax wrote:Aw shoot, I really like the way you used the colors for the painterly ones. :3c

shokugeki no souma fanart:
- Perspective on his right (our left) arm looks funky. Perhaps it should've been moved up a tad bi tmore, and a little bit more hidden by his chest.
- Shading on his face makes it appear strangely rounded (due to the straight-then-curve-at-the-end shadows). Would be better if it "followed" his face more, or had some more variety in shape. (I'm kinda wording this weird, so I can do a redraw if you'd like. '3')

Lok sprites (left):
- His body looks rather simple below the neck (in comparison to the right sprite), maybe try to exaggerate bumps and curves a bit more?
- His collar on the right extends too far out
- Low contrast between the bottom of his vest (?) and the shawl (?), also the disappearance of indent lines on the vest make it look like vest and shawl are merging
Thanks for the critique!
Yeah, I would love a redraw XD body in perspective is a new thing to me haha and face shading is confusing >3>
And yeah those Lok sprites are old, need to revamp them :3
Image
Flavors.me

Art Dump

Commissions
Projects: Closed
Illustrations: Open

Honest Critique

User avatar
chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 694
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:27 am
Completed: http://art.jphi.me/projects
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Organization: spaceNote
Tumblr: chocojax
Github: jenniferphi
Location: California
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#6 Post by chocojax » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:21 pm

sorani wrote:Thanks for the critique!
Yeah, I would love a redraw XD body in perspective is a new thing to me haha and face shading is confusing >3>
And yeah those Lok sprites are old, need to revamp them :3
No probs!
I'm still pretty bad at perspective myself, heee. But, I really hope this helps a little!

Here's a little on face shading. I tried to keep it simple, but I'm not too sure about the tongue shading.
Lines for shading before
Quick shade over, indent around nose, a little bit more on the side of the face since faces curve, and a little bit more clear on the nose?

And for the perspective thing:
Kinda like this? I drew the neck and shoulders to help with placement.
Without underlying image

User avatar
sorani
Veteran
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm
Projects: What Do You See?, Lok
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#7 Post by sorani » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:07 pm

chocojax wrote:
sorani wrote:Thanks for the critique!
Yeah, I would love a redraw XD body in perspective is a new thing to me haha and face shading is confusing >3>
And yeah those Lok sprites are old, need to revamp them :3
No probs!
I'm still pretty bad at perspective myself, heee. But, I really hope this helps a little!

Here's a little on face shading. I tried to keep it simple, but I'm not too sure about the tongue shading.
Lines for shading before
Quick shade over, indent around nose, a little bit more on the side of the face since faces curve, and a little bit more clear on the nose?

And for the perspective thing:
Kinda like this? I drew the neck and shoulders to help with placement.
Without underlying image

Thanks for the help XD I appreciate it~
Here's my corrected img
Image
Image
Flavors.me

Art Dump

Commissions
Projects: Closed
Illustrations: Open

Honest Critique

User avatar
chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 694
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:27 am
Completed: http://art.jphi.me/projects
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Organization: spaceNote
Tumblr: chocojax
Github: jenniferphi
Location: California
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#8 Post by chocojax » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:13 pm

sorani wrote:Thanks for the help XD I appreciate it~
Here's my corrected img
Image
Looks better! There's now a weird tangent between the arm/chest, though. link, #4

User avatar
sorani
Veteran
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm
Projects: What Do You See?, Lok
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#9 Post by sorani » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:36 pm

chocojax wrote: Looks better! There's now a weird tangent between the arm/chest, though. link, #4
Tangents look hard to avoid ;; I guess I need to practice compositions thumbnails to avoid them orz
Anyways, I changed the composition a bit.
Image
Image
Flavors.me

Art Dump

Commissions
Projects: Closed
Illustrations: Open

Honest Critique

User avatar
sorani
Veteran
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm
Projects: What Do You See?, Lok
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#10 Post by sorani » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:14 pm

My cuter style on girls in this new character design commission~
Image
Image
Flavors.me

Art Dump

Commissions
Projects: Closed
Illustrations: Open

Honest Critique

User avatar
Ernestalice15
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:36 am
Tumblr: ernestalice15
Deviantart: Ernestalice15
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#11 Post by Ernestalice15 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Actually, I really like your art a lot. Even though it's sketchy, but it's a style. However, not gonna be able to used in every genre is also the fact. Popular style is popular. Unique style is just for them who understand :D
Free but busy Amateur Illustrator, Amateur Writer, Japanese Translator, and Mobile Game Developer.

You can visit my Deviant Art here : http://ernestalice15.deviantart.com/
And my twitter : @Ernestalice15
And tumblr : http://ernestalice15.tumblr.com/

"May good day always comes to you, and even not so, remember that good day can come to you anytime in the future"

User avatar
sorani
Veteran
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm
Projects: What Do You See?, Lok
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#12 Post by sorani » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Here's my finished commission~
Image
Image
Flavors.me

Art Dump

Commissions
Projects: Closed
Illustrations: Open

Honest Critique

User avatar
chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 694
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:27 am
Completed: http://art.jphi.me/projects
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Organization: spaceNote
Tumblr: chocojax
Github: jenniferphi
Location: California
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#13 Post by chocojax » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:38 am

I just wanted to point out that in the left picture, it looks like the left sleeve's pink part isn't shaded (or not shaded the same way as the white part)? Otherwise, it's a really nice looking drawing, really loving the shading on it. (Especially the back!!)

User avatar
sorani
Veteran
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm
Projects: What Do You See?, Lok
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#14 Post by sorani » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:16 pm

@chocojax Oops O.o I must've missed that part orz thanks for telling me ^^; and thanks for the compliment :D I was worried the shading on the back came out weird XD

Anyways, I'll be hosting a live stream in a few hrs demonstrating my coloring process, if anyone wants to join :D
I'll update this thread and twitter when the time comes~
Image
Flavors.me

Art Dump

Commissions
Projects: Closed
Illustrations: Open

Honest Critique

User avatar
sorani
Veteran
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm
Projects: What Do You See?, Lok
Contact:

Re: z04's art dump

#15 Post by sorani » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:19 pm

OMGGG I forgot to post my livestream OTL https://www.picarto.tv/live/channel.php?watch=Z04
Image
Flavors.me

Art Dump

Commissions
Projects: Closed
Illustrations: Open

Honest Critique

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users