Sprite opinions please!

Art threads specific to a single artist.
AriaAi
Regular
Projects: Go! Youth!
Deviantart: JunnChii
Soundcloud: JunnChii

Sprite opinions please!

#1 Post by AriaAi »

Hello! Sooooo---
I've gotten pretty obsessed with my own idea for an otome game recently.
I've been working on it nonstop lately LOL. Being this motivated about one of my games is probably a first for me, so I'm really excited to see what will happen when I pull through!
Okay, moving on though--
I've created some sprites that I would like some of your guys' opinions on!
If you could answer some of my questions I would be very grateful//

1. Could you get a feel of the characters' personality through their poses?
2. Do you feel that my art style is consistent through each of the sprites?
3. Are the characters different enough that you're still be able to tell them apart if I made them grayscale?
(Okay basically do I have same-face syndrome is what I'm trying to ask here AHAH;;; )
4. Also, (just for fun) which character do you think would be your favorite? ^ q ^)/

And that's basically all I would like answered for now!
Thanks! ^ q ^)/

Ah! Also keep in mind that my coloring and etc. is all sketchy right now! These are all works in progress ww//
** ALSO, do you have any advice for sprite expressions? I always seem to get stuck there. I never seem to know how many expressions I should have. When do I have too many expressions? I have about 14 expressions for the girl as of now, but I'm sure the number will go up once I begin coloring (bc y'know blushing faces are an otome game's key point HAHA.)
I would appreciate any advice for this!
Attachments
Screenshot_7.png

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

Re: Sprite opinions please!

#2 Post by hiko27 »

Rarely do I reply to a thread but I had to for yours cause BEAUTIFUL GUYS UGH.
(On a sidenote, I know the feel of suddenly getting pumped up to work on your game)

1. Could you get a feel of the characters' personality through their poses?
Not that much tbh. I can get a feel of it through their clothing choices though (mostly the guy on the right), as well as the hairstyles. Also on a sidenote, the girl's right hand looks very awkward.

2. Do you feel that my art style is consistent through each of the sprites?
For the guys yes, but that's probably because the lines for the girl was polished and cleaned, but ignoring that aspect, yes they do.

3. Are the characters different enough that you're still be able to tell them apart if I made them grayscale?
(I think we all have that, the same-face syndrome that is lol)
Well, the hairstyles definitely set them apart from each other. Aside from that, their uniforms do as well. Maybe adding in different lengths of hair will set them apart even more.

4. Also, (just for fun) which character do you think would be your favorite? ^ q ^)/
RED HAIRED GUY DEFINITELY. Mostly because I like his braids. Idk why I'm more attracted to those types of guys.

As for expressions, definitely up to you. If you're doing the writing as well, you can probably get a ballpark estimate as to how much you need. Or you can just base it on the character's personality (like what would be expressions that that character would most likely do). If you want, you can make it easier on you and do things on layers. Like for blushing, you can put that on a different layer and have varieties of every expression. Usually, starting out with about 5-10 is fine. You can branch out from there, but pretty much the common expressions: happy, mad, sad, neutral, surprised (that's all I can think of right now).

Good luck on your game. Will definitely try hunting it down once you've made a thread for it.

...And is that Kuroko as your avatar?
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

ffocal
Deviantart: ffocal

#3 Post by ffocal »

In case you want to show the full body in your game, try to cut down the excess hip length -

Otherwise, I think you could experiment a lot more with the costume design. It's not enough to just differentiate them from each other, but also from the myriad of other schoolboys and schoolgirls in uniform out there.

AriaAi
Regular
Projects: Go! Youth!
Deviantart: JunnChii
Soundcloud: JunnChii

#4 Post by AriaAi »

hiko27 wrote:Rarely do I reply to a thread but I had to for yours cause BEAUTIFUL GUYS UGH.
(On a sidenote, I know the feel of suddenly getting pumped up to work on your game)

...And is that Kuroko as your avatar?
Ahh!! Thank you so much for your feedback! I appreciate it a lot!
Yesss--- I knew someone was going to point out her awkward hands LOL.
To be honest I slacked a little with her anatomy since I was only going to show her headshot in game anyway //terrible I know
The fullbody for her was more for future reference--
AAAA And I'm glad you like the red-head/// Most of my friends were picking the silver-brown haired boy, so I was getting worried the other two didn't have as much appeal or something! Haha!

And yes-- my display picture is Kuroko. HAHA///
ffocal wrote:In case you want to show the full body in your game, try to cut down the excess hip length -

Otherwise, I think you could experiment a lot more with the costume design. It's not enough to just differentiate them from each other, but also from the myriad of other schoolboys and schoolgirls in uniform out there.
Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate the redlining! I knew her anatomy got messed up somewhere in there. Her legs looked off as I was base coloring, but as I said before----
I was only going to show her head shot in game anyway, so I didn't go back to fix it. //terrible
Thank you again! I really appreciate the feedback!

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#5 Post by King-sama »

My fav is red head! 0,0
And about advice for sprite expressions....you could just do different eyebrows, mouths, eyes in several folders and then mix them up later however you wish~