Looking for an art feedback buddy

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Spoon
Completed: Wings of Dawn

Looking for an art feedback buddy

#1 Post by Spoon »

Heya,

As the titles says: I'm looking for someone who can provide me with the occasional useful feedback on my game character sprites. Be it by email or skype or whatevs. And I'd gladly return the favor, it doesn't have to be a one way street. (Though I don't know how good I'll actually be in providing feedback myself, since I have no experience) Just bounce me back honest opinions.

I've been an active modder for the greatest space sim of all time, Freespace 2, which recently resulted in the release of the stand alone game, Wings of Dawn. An anime inspired space opera, with lots of pew pew and dakka dakka. (It's free and doesn't require an installation of Freespace2) I've got great modding buddies who I've worked together with for years. Unfortunately, none of them are the artistic kind. (I mean, sure, they can make great 3D spaceship models, but they can't draw). So whenever I try showing them something new it usually just gets me a "neat" or the ever helpful "Something's wrong", "well, can you be more specific?" "I don't know, something."

So yeah, I've been dying to get in contact with someone (more skilled than me) who can actually go into a bit more depth on how I can actually improve.
With the side note that my method of drawing is... unconventional. Basically I do all my drawing with just the mouse and the pen tool in photoshop, and with reference help of 3D models. It's slow and has plenty of drawbacks, but I'm 'old' (28) and too set in my ways now. So if you gracefully decide on helping me, please note that I'm not really interested in hearing "well, why don't you get a tablet and draw normally then!" :p
I don't make myself any illusions that I'm a good artist (far from it, I might even be a 'hack'), and I have no education in it or anything either (I might not even know all the proper terminology). But I'm trying.

The work I do for Freespace is mostly limited to animated face portraits (or headani's as we call them) And the visual novel segment sprites. I recently discovered emofuri and have been dabbling with it. Though the headani's currently in the game don't use that yet.
An example of a WoD headani (as they currently are, in their pre-emofuri state):
One of my early emofuri tests
And more recent work that I'm doing for Just Another Day (a freespace 2 mod of a good friend of mine)

For the WoD VN segments I've been using a 'characters facing each other' kind of approach

For JAD my friend said he didn't really care either way so I decided to kill two birds with one stone (poor birds) and draw the whole VN sprite and crop just the head area for the headani's in emofuri.

(Yes, nothing but females. I am terrible at drawing males and take no pleasure in it)

So yeah, first post on this forum and it's a "Hello people I dont know, plz halp". Please accept my apology for this lack of decorum.

(Also, when I tried to register today I discovered I had already done so back in 2009. Such ahead planning on my part.)

Spoon

Re: Looking for an art feedback buddy

#2 Post by Spoon »

44 views, 0 replies. Well, it was worth a shot...

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#3 Post by mitoky »

I dont mind helping/being art buddies, though i dont know if i qualify so you can take a look at my gallery (deviantart, left side) if its fine please write me ^^

Spoon

#4 Post by Spoon »

Heya, thanks for the reply
Your art looks pretty good to me, I just don't know if our interests really align. Since I'm not into BL myself.

alberte
Veteran
Tumblr: klaruga
Deviantart: Klaruga

#5 Post by alberte »

I don't mind that you don't have a tablet, here's an artist who only uses a mouse in his drawings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDYPFuSfqKw.

I'm also looking for an art feedback buddy, I like to draw females as well.

If you're intrested I could pm you a drawing i'm working on.

:D.

Spoon

#6 Post by Spoon »

That's some skill right there.
And sure, show me your moves.

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#7 Post by mitoky »

Spoon wrote:Heya, thanks for the reply
Your art looks pretty good to me, I just don't know if our interests really align. Since I'm not into BL myself.
Ah no is ok dont worry ^^ I was thinking of general art talks, not genere related or anything.

Drew
Regular
Projects: SW-SEG
Tumblr: makefox
Deviantart: makefox

#8 Post by Drew »

Hi,
I'm not that familiar with the style or animation that you're going for and I'm certainly not experienced but you look like you've got a really strong idea of what you're after and a good drive to it.

Hey, 28 isn't old (28 is a distant memory from where I'm sitting - ha ha) so I wouldn't worry about being set in your ways. I used to use a mouse but once I tried a tablet it was like a dream, I'd say you should try one if you can (then at least you know if you like it or not) but at the end of the day use whatever you feel comfortable with. Certainly there are some brilliant artists out there using mice.

Keep it up!
Peace!

My art blog: http://makefox.tumblr.com/

Spoon

#9 Post by Spoon »

This thread was a succes btw, feedback buddy found. :)

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#10 Post by King-sama »

Like how feedback buddy should be like? (I don't draw much tho....