Sina's Art from 0 Thread - [critiques/red lines Please!]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
SinaAzad
Veteran
IRC Nick: SinaAzad
Deviantart: sinaazad
Soundcloud: Sina_Azad

Re: Sina's Thread - [critiques needed]

#31 Post by SinaAzad »

I did finish another drawing !
I think it is my 12th or 13th drawing (colored) I have like 7-8 dropped works that never got passed the line-art phase !
Did try making my own way of drawing eyes and coloring , I'm kinda happy with it but after working on it for some time i cant see my faults anymore !

Bed Hair
Attachments
used to be called Random 9 before I name it !
used to be called Random 9 before I name it !
I am very proud to be a part of this generous, nice and friendly community!
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

bosinpai
Regular

#32 Post by bosinpai »

Heya Sina,

Overall this looks good :)

The hair have a "sketchy" feeling (the lines and coloring, but not the crisp highlights) which contrasts to the rest of the piece which is more polished.
I attempted to fix a few other details, let me know if that helps:
- remade chin->neck shadow considering a light source originating from the right
- bumped the top-right of the hair to maintain a round&cute head shape
- lightened hair above the ear as I don't think the front strand would produce this much shadow
- lowered the nose a little bit, it felt quite high (I mean a eye-level nose is probably too high)
- lowered the right shirt fold, which seemed to cut her right arm in half ;)

I like her, who is she? :)
Attachments
sinaazad-1.png

SinaAzad
Veteran

#33 Post by SinaAzad »

bosinpai wrote:Heya Sina,

Overall this looks good :)

The hair have a "sketchy" feeling (the lines and coloring, but not the crisp highlights) which contrasts to the rest of the piece which is more polished.
I attempted to fix a few other details, let me know if that helps:
- remade chin->neck shadow considering a light source originating from the right
- bumped the top-right of the hair to maintain a round&cute head shape
- lightened hair above the ear as I don't think the front strand would produce this much shadow
- lowered the nose a little bit, it felt quite high (I mean a eye-level nose is probably too high)
- lowered the right shirt fold, which seemed to cut her right arm in half ;)

I like her, who is she? :)

Thanks alot for putting time on this and editing it , I knew that some thing is wring with the nose , but couldnt guess what it was , so thanks for fixing it , also the hair , it looks better now !
But I think the shadow is in wrong position cuz the light is emitting form top right side (not that high).

Im gonna fix the drawing soon , thanks again ! :D
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

bosinpai
Regular

#34 Post by bosinpai »

Glad it helped :)
You got me thinking about the shadow (plus I wasn't 100% sure about it) - maybe this is more accurate.
sinaazad-2.png

SinaAzad
Veteran

#35 Post by SinaAzad »

bosinpai wrote:Glad it helped :)
You got me thinking about the shadow (plus I wasn't 100% sure about it) - maybe this is more accurate.
yeah it is more accurate this time , i'd add a bit more shadow to top left tho ... but yeah i should change my shadow a tad bit.

now the next work ... to be honest i have no idea how to do a CLEAN line art. I dont know if it is good to use curve lines tool so I don't use them ...
Attachments
Final 11v3.jpg
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

Miira

#36 Post by Miira »

Such cute art!

Overall when I look at the piece above the lineart isn't bad, I'd say it's a bit "thin" if that makes any sense. Try to vary the thickness of the lines to give the hair more volume and depth. ^^
Also to note is that the color of the lineart is very light, so some parts of the drawing are hard to tell apart. Your other drawings don't really seem to have this problem, but I thought I'd note this here. :D

Personally I don't use any line/curve tools to draw the lineart either, but that's what I'm used to, so just test things out to see what you are comfortable with!

Here's a picture just to demonstrate what I mean with the thickness of the lines, I'm sorry I'm bad at explaining myself.^^'
Attachments
1.png

SinaAzad
Veteran

#37 Post by SinaAzad »

Miira wrote:Such cute art!

Overall when I look at the piece above the lineart isn't bad, I'd say it's a bit "thin" if that makes any sense. Try to vary the thickness of the lines to give the hair more volume and depth. ^^
Also to note is that the color of the lineart is very light, so some parts of the drawing are hard to tell apart. Your other drawings don't really seem to have this problem, but I thought I'd note this here. :D

Personally I don't use any line/curve tools to draw the lineart either, but that's what I'm used to, so just test things out to see what you are comfortable with!

Here's a picture just to demonstrate what I mean with the thickness of the lines, I'm sorry I'm bad at explaining myself.^^'

wow , thanks a lot ! that's whats what I was looking for ... I think I'm gonna play around with it for a bit and see how it goes , one more question , the shadow that you added (specially on the neck) can you explain how it works ? Cuz I'm mainly used to add a new layer and a certain color and then change the opacity of the layer to make it look like shadow.

about the color of line art , you are correct , on this work I was so unhappy with the line art that made me lower the opacity to make it look cleaner ... which resulted in that ... thanks again fo putting time and fixing it !
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

Miira

#38 Post by Miira »

SinaAzad wrote:

wow , thanks a lot ! that's whats what I was looking for ...
Oh sorry sorry sorry I completely missed this!

I'm happy to help. :)
The shadows I put are more of a style thing, so they aren't mandatory, I just like to put a more prominent shadow especially in the neck area. xD
But if you want I can try to explain how I do shading.

SinaAzad
Veteran

#39 Post by SinaAzad »

Miira wrote:
SinaAzad wrote:

wow , thanks a lot ! that's whats what I was looking for ...
Oh sorry sorry sorry I completely missed this!

I'm happy to help. :)
The shadows I put are more of a style thing, so they aren't mandatory, I just like to put a more prominent shadow especially in the neck area. xD
But if you want I can try to explain how I do shading.
haha , thanks again !
It kinda made the work look ... hmmm more ... punk ? nah wrong word .... no idea what it is called but I kinda like the way it ended up !
I went ahead and tried to follow what you had done and ended up with this : http://sinaazad.deviantart.com/art/Rand ... -683679881
It would be great if you explained how you do the shading. :mrgreen:
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

Miira

#40 Post by Miira »

I don't know how it should be described either, but I'm glad you ended up liking it. xD

Yes! You definitely got what I was trying to explain, you can probably see the difference as well. It looks great, you did a good job. :D

Ok I took some screenshots to help me since my english isn't that great sometimes, I hope this helps <3 Sorry this is long post because of the pictures.

So first these are pretty usual places I put some really dark shadows in. It really depends on the clothes too, so if it's a long sleeve or a t-shirt I won't put any black shadows under the arm. Also in this case the small shadow under the ear is an indicator of the shape of her hair in that particular area.

Here's my base color and the color I used to shade. I usually go a bit left (or down) on the color wheel when I pick my shade color. :D

Now, go to the hair base color layer and check a box labeled "Preserve Opacity" and you won't color over the already colored parts. Pick up the shade color, and with the marker tool start shading. This is the part where it's up to you where the light is coming form. xD
Don't worry if your coloring is looking messy! As you can maybe see mine isn't that clean at first either, but it's easy to clean with the base color after you are done. (I actually cleaned it a bit here already it was worse)

The last thing I do is go to my hair lineart layer and do the "Preserve Opacity" to it as well, and still using the marker tool I take a hot pinkish red color and lightly start applying it on the black lineart. And tada! ( Use as big marker size as you can go, it's easier to apply the color that way)

I used hair shading as an example here but this is pretty much what I do. xD

SinaAzad
Veteran

#41 Post by SinaAzad »

Thanks for Putting time and making this guide for , I really appreciate it !
after reading this I think there are some parts that I need to study at some point , first of all , while shading, I should pick bolder colors !
what I do is like "Line art" → "Base color" → "Basic shading" → "Advanced shading" Which includes light and extremely dark parts)
I'm Not really sure what Preserve Opacity does ... I have not seen any option like that on ClipStudioPaint , need to double check it !
I specially like the Last part of your tutorial , what I did before was changing the color of line art entirely using an option , and most of the times picked wrong colors for that !

Once again thanks for putting time and helping out ! o/
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

Miira

#42 Post by Miira »

Oh yeah sorry about that I think it goes by a different name in CSP, if you see an option to lock opacity in the layer manager that's the same thing. I'm using Paint tool sai so it's preserve opacity there. xD
It pretty much locks the parts in the layer you use it in so for example if you lock a lineart layer you can only color the lineart it won't go over the already made lines.

Your way is as good as mine really, you can definitely add more darker and lighter parts as you see fit, but I'm happy if this helped you shape your developing style more! :D

SinaAzad
Veteran

#43 Post by SinaAzad »

A random sketch ...
studying various things !
Attachments
12.jpg
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

SinaAzad
Veteran

#44 Post by SinaAzad »

a quick update , Tried to work on the shadow a bit , im mainly just trying to get used to drawing with surface pro .... somehow it feels harder to draw with it than my old intous small pen and touch .
I've been trying to draw the same character from 3/4 of view if im saying it right .... but im not happy with it.
Attachments
12-2.jpg
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

Miira

#45 Post by Miira »

Hi it's me again~ 8)

Just thought I'd draw a redline to help you with that 3/4 drawing really quick. xD
Attachments
redline.jpg