Cakey ART [critique and advices desired]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Cakey
Regular
Deviantart: Ilsaaaaa

Cakey ART [critique and advices desired]

#1 Post by Cakey »

What do you think? What would you change? Is there anything you want me to draw or see here more? What do you like the most in characters and what is least favourite thing? What would you advice me about coloring?

I want to post one graphic per week so be prepared ;)
Attachments
Maybe looks too manly?<br />First time coloring blond hair.
Maybe looks too manly?
First time coloring blond hair.
At first I wanted to make fairy. Fairy-like eyes stayed :)
At first I wanted to make fairy. Fairy-like eyes stayed :)
Last edited by Cakey on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cakey
Regular

Re: Cakey art dumpage(critique and advices very welcome)

#2 Post by Cakey »

Introduce you to my new creation, meet Takuya :D
This time just sketch :)
Attachments
Takuya.png

Cakey
Regular

Re: Cakey ART [critique and advices desired]

#3 Post by Cakey »

Midori
Attachments
Midori clean.png

CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

#4 Post by CSV »

Your art is cute! =) I like the would-be fairy girl the most.
If you want advice/critique:
- In the first picture, it's a bit odd that the lines in the hair are colored but all the other lineart is black. There could also be some more definition in the neck area. She doesn't look to manly, though, at least not to me.
- In the "fairy" picture, the eye shapes are too different from one another. (But it's sill a really cute picture.)
- In the latest picture (Midori) there seems to be some improvement; however, though the head/face/shoulders/breast look good, the lower part of the torso is too narrow.
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Cakey
Regular

#5 Post by Cakey »

CSV wrote:Your art is cute! =) I like the would-be fairy girl the most.
If you want advice/critique:
- In the first picture, it's a bit odd that the lines in the hair are colored but all the other lineart is black. There could also be some more definition in the neck area. She doesn't look to manly, though, at least not to me.
- In the "fairy" picture, the eye shapes are too different from one another. (But it's sill a really cute picture.)
- In the latest picture (Midori) there seems to be some improvement; however, though the head/face/shoulders/breast look good, the lower part of the torso is too narrow.
- Yeah, coloring is my weak spot but I am working on it ;)
I am a little scared to do details in the neck area. I don't get how anatomy works there. I'll try better next time.

- Oh, you are right! I didn't notice difference in the eeyes before! Is it unnatural or just could be more even?
This was my first pictuure with color and she ended up really cute. I am trying to get out from my comfort zone all the time so this is rare case of drawing my favourite type of girl :)

- Is it too narrow comparing to ideal model of person or is it unnaturally narrow? I used to do very hourglass and curvy ladies but this one was described as more athletic so I tried a different bodytype.

CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

#6 Post by CSV »

Cakey wrote:- Yeah, coloring is my weak spot but I am working on it ;)
I am a little scared to do details in the neck area. I don't get how anatomy works there. I'll try better next time.

- Oh, you are right! I didn't notice difference in the eeyes before! Is it unnatural or just could be more even?
This was my first pictuure with color and she ended up really cute. I am trying to get out from my comfort zone all the time so this is rare case of drawing my favourite type of girl :)

- Is it too narrow comparing to ideal model of person or is it unnaturally narrow? I used to do very hourglass and curvy ladies but this one was described as more athletic so I tried a different bodytype.
I cannot give much advice on digital coloring, seeing as I cannot do it myself.
As for neck details, I suggest you read some tutorials on anatomy and the collar bone/muscles on the neck. Here is an in depth look at the matter (which I should probably read myself OTL) and here is a really simplified version. Looking at photos of real people's necks also helps.

You could try drawing the eyes in a more symmetrical way. Flipping the canvas usually helps to spot this sort of problem.

About the Midori picture, it seems to me as if the top of the body is in a different proportion than the lower part of the torso, and that is maybe why it looks too narrow.
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#7 Post by MaiMai »

In terms of coloring, you should find a tutorial that you can try following so you can see what techniques you like working with.

Color choice wise, your skin tones are very dull and grey. This can work for some styles, but right now like in the Midori sprite, the skin looks washed out and muddy. The link below might help make you think about skin tone colors with a different perspective so you can think about approaching selecting colors differently:

http://hanjihye.deviantart.com/art/Skin-Tones-453067403
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Cakey
Regular

#8 Post by Cakey »

MaiMai wrote:In terms of coloring, you should find a tutorial that you can try following so you can see what techniques you like working with.

Color choice wise, your skin tones are very dull and grey. This can work for some styles, but right now like in the Midori sprite, the skin looks washed out and muddy. The link below might help make you think about skin tone colors with a different perspective so you can think about approaching selecting colors differently:

http://hanjihye.deviantart.com/art/Skin-Tones-453067403

Thanks! I'll try it :)