My Art Thread. I want to be come better! Please critique!

Art threads specific to a single artist.
bluemayonase
Regular

Re: My Art Thread. I want to be come better! Please critique

#16 Post by bluemayonase »

MaiMai wrote:I'm sure other people can probably give better direction than me, haha. Not because there's nothing to critique, but rather there's so many directions I could point towards, but it all really comes down to experimenting with coloring. A lot of experimenting, a lot of coloring, a lot of drawing. But you already know that so keep at it. :)

What I can point out so far about your latest pic:
I tried making the eyes it's own thing, but im not sure if that was the right approach to make.
They don't look quite finished, you can probably add more to them.
I feel that the head is alright, but the clothes seem way off.
The red of the clothes is really, really bright and there's no depth to them since you're sticking with basically one hue of red, with only a darker shade of red for the shadows. This is kind of a matter of design though, so you may want to look up actual jackets to see what other elements you can add to make it more accurate/creative. (That's another thing; collect reference images!)

Overall, maybe you need to get some color theory knowledge?
Thanks Mamai! :D It was really helpful seeing what i needed to learn and improve upon. I tried to give the clothes more colors to blend with, added details to the eyes and made another few more adjustments.

Also did a quick sketch to experiment with hand poses.
Attachments
So lame, haha
So lame, haha
antonomy char 1 update 2.png

bluemayonase
Regular

#17 Post by bluemayonase »

Hello! Its Been a while. Recently I have been getting heavily invested in 3d modeling. I want to get myself out there and experience many different mediums of art. I'm studying the hell out of anatomy, making model sheets, and spend grueling hours in maya and zbrush. I'm working on a private game project of my own and thought that I would like to show off my model base to see if there is anything I need to approve upon. I also thought it would be good to use it as a base for when I draw. Modeling and concept art feels easier and more rewarding to me personally lol.. I know it may not seem that great, im still learning, but please don't be afraid to tell me what you guys think.
Attachments
Clothes in maya
Clothes in maya
Athos Model Sheet.jpg
head model sheet.jpg
render 9.png
render 8.png
render 7.png
render 6.png
render 5.png
render 4.png
render 3.png
render 2.png
render 1.png

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#18 Post by MaiMai »

I think the 3D models you're working on have a lot of character. I'd definitely encourage playing around with those more alongside practicing 2D drawing.

The only thing I would ask/point out is about how the arms on the 3d model is a tad bit too skinny? It's probably a matter of style though so it does translate better in 3D than 2D, but even so, for the former, maybe try increasing the width and volume a little more?
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

bluemayonase
Regular

#19 Post by bluemayonase »

MaiMai wrote:I think the 3D models you're working on have a lot of character. I'd definitely encourage playing around with those more alongside practicing 2D drawing.

The only thing I would ask/point out is about how the arms on the 3d model is a tad bit too skinny? It's probably a matter of style though so it does translate better in 3D than 2D, but even so, for the former, maybe try increasing the width and volume a little more?
Thanks MaiMai! Lol, having a model to use would definitely make learning different poses and views more easier and accurate.
I agree with the arms, didn't see it until you pointed it out. I also fixed the shoulders, rounded out the neck, and made the waste more defined.
Attachments
fix anatomy.png

bluemayonase
Regular

#20 Post by bluemayonase »

New update. I used the 3d model as reference to make dynamic poses. Tried coloring/shading. It doesn't seem like an improvement but im still learning how everything works. Especially them hands. Have a long way to go.
Attachments
orig sit front.jpg
sit front.jpg
Tried doing long hair. Doesn't seem right
Tried doing long hair. Doesn't seem right
referenced all my drawings from this one
referenced all my drawings from this one
crouch pose.jpg
stand.jpg
sit behind.jpg