Hello again! New art thread.

Art threads specific to a single artist.
bluemayonase
Regular

Hello again! New art thread.

#1 Post by bluemayonase »

Hello. It's been a while since the last time I posted my artwork here... Looking back at the abominations I drew before, make me cringe. During the time that ive been inactive, I was working on an animation for a school project, while studying figures and anatomy. Now im going to draw more, applying all the news things iv'e learned, and submit it here. I noticed that I have a problem with static poses when I draw. I plan to improve upon that as I go along. Also, there's something im missing that I need to gain to become a better artist, and I hope to find it here. Please leave any kind of feedback/critique.
Attachments
Hopelessness sketch.jpg
Wolf Drawing practice.jpg
Perspective Drawing practice.jpg
Neko Face Profile.jpg
Neko Expression 1 .jpg

january

Re: Hello again! New art thread.

#2 Post by january »

You're off to a good start! And poses are a large hurdle to get over when it comes to drawing, so kudos to you for working on them. I also like the eyes of the bottom images a lot--the animalistic nature is definitely coming through.

A few things that stand out as being off:

In the third drawing, the hand on its own looks good but combined with the rest of the image, it's too large even for the perspective you're going for. Search up "holding hand out to camera" or something along those lines in Google Images and you'll notice that generally, the hand in that pose is still only around the size of the person's face, while the hand you've drawn is notably larger.

When it comes to hair, you'll want to focus less on shading the edges of the clumps of hair that you've done in the fourth picture. I can tell you're on the right track when it comes to shading hair, as you're taking the lighting into consideration and have some halo-shapes going on, but the hair still has an oddly flat look to it like it's not being placed on a proper round head. I think in this case, the glow around the edge of the entire hair is actually working against you. That's a technique that generally only works (as the sole source of highlights, as you've done) if the lighting is behind the object as a back light, which doesn't seem to be the intention here. Also, for the middle strand/clump in his bangs that has shadows on both sides of it--I'd advise shortening the shadows on the left side (or remove them entirely) to emphasize that the lighting is coming from the left.

Keep up the work!

bluemayonase
Regular

#3 Post by bluemayonase »

@january

Thank you! I appreciate the advise, it really helps! Motivates me to do better. Yeah looking at it again and after looking at google images, the hand is definitely off. The body behind should've distort proportionally with it if it were to be that big. Hair has been my enemy for a while, lol... I guess im still confused on what exactly I should shade when I draw it out, I can't figure out how to shade it in, in a way, to show that it's builded up in strands and that it goes around the skull.

So I tried drawing out a full body of the cat char iv'e been drawing. I'l call her Neko I guess, lol. I researched how the shirt goes into pants when a belt is tied around and found out there is barely any crinkles. Is my anatomy good? Is there any other elements the I need to fix on the clothes? I want to make sure the drawing is good before I ink or color it in.

The next is, three quarter perspective. Had trouble with this perspective in the past, but now im trying to get it down. Anything off? Hair? The the eyes?

I should be able to upload another pose pretty soon. It's going to be hard to use a cat pose on a human body, but il do it regardless.
Attachments
Head in diff angle
Head in diff angle
Neko Char front
Neko Char front

bluemayonase
Regular

#4 Post by bluemayonase »

Colored in the head, tried to make an improvement on the shading on the hair and skin.
Attachments
Neko three qaurter head colored shaded.png

bluemayonase
Regular

#5 Post by bluemayonase »

Did some body anatomy practice for Neko in a rest pose. Next im going to do some anatomy sketches for other characters, practice shading.
Attachments
Body Anatomy Neko.jpg

bluemayonase
Regular

#6 Post by bluemayonase »

Drew some new characters in a different style in different poses. Though they are all for the upper body. The next pose i'l draw is going to have a bigger emphasis on the legs, and maybe perspective.
Attachments
Anatomy Horns.jpg
Anatomy Guy.jpg

bluemayonase
Regular

#7 Post by bluemayonase »

Another pose practice drawing.
Attachments
Sit Anatomy Final Colored.png

bluemayonase
Regular

#8 Post by bluemayonase »

Did some more anatomy sketches. Il try to redraw over them and finalize them later. Still trying to figure out how to draw the hair on the head when its turned properly.
Attachments
Guy Anatomy pose 1.jpg
Gun pose practice 1.jpg

bluemayonase
Regular

#9 Post by bluemayonase »

Finalized the gun pose. I spent some time on this, but im not sure if my anatomy is right. I made sure to measure the legs and the upper body, the char is supposed to be 5 heads tall. But something seems off but I don't know what it is.
Attachments
Gun Battle Pose Line.jpg

bluemayonase
Regular

#10 Post by bluemayonase »

Did some more poses, finding a style, ect. Also Have a head turn animation that im going to submit later too.
Attachments
Battle Pose Pose 1.jpg
Head Anatomy
Head Anatomy
Realistic Styliezed face
Realistic Styliezed face

bluemayonase
Regular

#11 Post by bluemayonase »

http://imgur.com/iQeGCos
Really Rough wip of head animation.