Harick's Art

Art threads specific to a single artist.
DrKittenPHD

Re: Harick's Art

#61 Post by DrKittenPHD »

I browsed this thread, and, like others, your improvement is impressive. If you keep posting, it'll be cool to see where you are in 2 more years.

Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but how do you practice coloring? You actually started out with what seemed like a decent idea of coloring and shading, but your more recent stuff displays a pretty sophisticated understanding, and I was wondering how you got to that point. I especially appreciate painting.png with the creepy skeleton guy. The way the the shadows envelop the figure of the girl and creepy guy are skillful.

As for your most recent drawing (Aesir.png), I like her face and design. I find her pose a bit stiff, however, particularly her shoulders. The individual parts of her figure look good (her face, her arms, her lips, etc.), but they don't seem to come together into a logical, cohesive whole. For example, she appears to be gazing at her nose, and she doesn't seem to be posing in a natural, fluid way.

Harick
Veteran

#62 Post by Harick »

I accidentally deleted my reply, so I have to re-write it :cry:

So first off, thanks! I hope my progress continues to be deemed impressive :wink:

So for the color question, most of it happened through experimenting with a bunch of different stuff like using only one layer, trying to make the shadows black, blending different ways, using different colors for the shadows, shading the line-art, etc. I usually focus on one thing at a time, and when I'm comfortable with it, I try to use several techniques at once which works well for me I think. On top of just experimentation, I also got a critique a short while ago that pointed out that I used a lot of colors in the same range, so I've been trying to add splashes of really saturated colors which I think has been going well.

And lastly, I do agree with your assessment of Æsir.png, though I think the issue was more me forgetting what I was going for midway through. It actually started off with me practicing drawing poses, the original intent for the image was for it to look up to the character as she was looking down on the "camera," which is why her eyes are pointing down. I messed up, however, because I wanted to capture the character design and before I knew it the perspective was gone. I'm not the brightest tool in the shed.

DrKittenPHD

#63 Post by DrKittenPHD »

Thanks for answering my question about how you practice. It sounds similar to how I've been working through coloring practice, and it helps me to read how others work through it. Coloring is something I specifically struggle with oftentimes.

My critique of Aesir.png is pretty fixable. Moving the iris and pupil would go a long way.

Harick
Veteran

#64 Post by Harick »

Ugh, I haven't drawn for over a week now so now it's hard to get anything down.

Anyway, I actually tried moving where the eyes were looking, but it just seemed weird, don't remember how though so maybe I just did it badly

Anyway, this is the most I've managed to draw lately, a sketch
Attachments
nineteenhunderedandtwo.png

Harick
Veteran

#65 Post by Harick »

Another thingy, it's a part of a bigger image but it might be obscured there so I decided to just make a separate image, just because
Attachments
Helf.png

Harick
Veteran

#66 Post by Harick »

I finished that big piece but it turned out bad so just forget about it! Here are some simple things instead!
Attachments
mjenstar.png
robit ghost.png

Harick
Veteran

#67 Post by Harick »

Two versions of the same image
Attachments
Robotic invasion bad.png
Robotic invasion small.png

Harick
Veteran

#68 Post by Harick »

Another robot thingy
Attachments
Divider.png

Harick
Veteran

#69 Post by Harick »

Oops, forgot to post this one here
Attachments
oyes.png

Harick
Veteran

#70 Post by Harick »

Some stuff!
Attachments
Shape Shifter bad.png
dressman twå.png
dressman wan.png

Harick
Veteran

#71 Post by Harick »

Myeh
Attachments
tired and smol.png

Harick
Veteran

#72 Post by Harick »

Dragon
Attachments
bangladeshi.png

Harick
Veteran

#73 Post by Harick »

I got on a Bob Ross binge and wanted to draw some landscapes and ho boi I have no idea how to draw mountains
Attachments
Qr qode.png

robovelociraptor
Regular
Deviantart: robovelociraptor

#74 Post by robovelociraptor »

wow, i remember seeing your first post in this thread years ago now and you've improved so much, my goodness!! wonderful work you've been producing as of late. i really like your landscape, it's painted in such a soft manner, it makes me feel relaxed looking at it. ^^ amazing improvement upon your human figures as well, your poses are a lot more dynamic and interesting and your anatomy has improved tenfold, particularly in the face. keep up the great work!

Harick
Veteran

#75 Post by Harick »

Gosh, thanks! I don't look back on the stuff I've drawn before that often so it's nice to hear that I've actually improved (and looking back at how painful my older stuff is to look at I have!) I really hope I'll keep improving at the same rate going forward!