bosinpai's art

Art threads specific to a single artist.
bosinpai
Regular

bosinpai's art

#1 Post by bosinpai »

Hi all,

This is my art dump page, critiques welcome :)

I've also previously posted :
- Little Mauve Riding Hood cartoon backgrounds
- This moderate gore piece
- 14-Day Challenge
Last edited by bosinpai on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bosinpai
Regular

Re: bosinpai's art

#2 Post by bosinpai »

So I've blown the dust from my tablet and did some drawing again :)

After the cartoon-style background from Little Mauve Riding Hood, I decided to do a 180 and draw a realist-style portrait of a fantasy character ;)

I got inspiration from this repented, half-undead, ex-sorcerer Herras character from The Spy of Simraz.
With my profile pic being what it is, I knew I had to do something with it :
herras.jpg
I'm happy enough with the skull part but not so happy with the human side (mainly nose, lips, top hair), and the teeth needs more depth somehow.
Took me 3 days to draw though -_-' - I wonder how much time you guys with more experience would need?

I'm placing this under CC BY-SA just like the book.
Critiques not only welcome but actively sought :)

bosinpai
Regular

#3 Post by bosinpai »

Here's my first go at a complete VN-style character from scratch.
What do you think?
Attachments
VN1.jpg

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#4 Post by King-sama »

Vn-style? you mean anime style? ^^'

hope this helps, tho~
Attachments
VN1.jpg

bosinpai
Regular

#5 Post by bosinpai »

Thanks a lot for the paintover!
Good job with the hair.

Interestingly I was aiming at an anime character, but I still introduced bits of realism (i.e. chubby girl) :3
Plus I picked a 6-heads figure to mimic Uncle Mugen's Eileen and Edgy-tan, which are more cartoonish.
All in all this drifted away from the iconic VN character goal ;)

I shall give this some more thoughts.
Thanks again for the feedback :)

bosinpai
Regular

#6 Post by bosinpai »

After reading Renmiou laud Istebrak's 14-day challenge a couple times, I decided to take it.
This morphed into a 2-month rather than 2-weeks challenge, but this isn't uncommon actually ;)
The community is a bit too centered around the teachings of that one particular artist, but gives peer critique easily enough.

Non-anime, but good exercise nonetheless, especially when it comes to handle digital painting in general:
bosinpai's 14-day challenge
bosinpai's 14-day challenge

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#7 Post by King-sama »

Incredible improvement! Day eight and day ten are the most lively and natural looking from these all. The shadows and eyes in them are the most correct looking to realistic, they are pretty, too 8)

bosinpai
Regular

#8 Post by bosinpai »

Thanks for your input King-sama!
I didn't like 10th much because I was aiming at a female face and it ended up so boyish, so I'm glad it still pleases somebody's eyes :)
8th looks a bit ill but I dig those nice realistic values that I never quite got again, this is a future challenge hehe.

Mellanthe
Regular

#9 Post by Mellanthe »

I completely agree with King-sama actually. Day 10 is the most vibrant/lively while incredibly natural and in my opinion feminine.
That 14 day improvement though-wow!!

bosinpai
Regular

#10 Post by bosinpai »

It's so great when people lend you their eyes so you can better see your own work ;)
Thanks Mellanthe!

bosinpai
Regular

#11 Post by bosinpai »

A little process animation for my Secret Santa 2016 gift :)
Attachments
Process
Process

bosinpai
Regular

#12 Post by bosinpai »

Hey,

Here's a secondary character for a VN that has been in limbo but could well restart due to renewed interest from team member(s) ;)

This is the captain of a noble's guard in a post-middle-age / renaissance epoch. He might be involved in revenge cheating :shock:
captain17.png
I worked in final screen size from the start (no resizing), I wonder if it shows?
My team mate aims at a non-anime style hence I attempted something western-style. I'll probably have to rework the eyes since I can't make them look at anywhere else than straight in front right now :lol:
I'd very much welcome critique about proportions, line art and shading :)

robovelociraptor
Regular
Deviantart: robovelociraptor

#13 Post by robovelociraptor »

Hello! Got a critique for your latest drawing! ^^

Since you're going for a more western/realistic style, I think you should play up the captain's age a bit (more wrinkles), and make the nose more defined. The eyes should be smaller, too, if you're going for a style similar to that of a comic book. Also, the pose he's in currently is stiff and doesn't show much character. Maybe try drawing him in a commanding pose or something, since he's an authority figure?

Here's an example I drew up:
02203.png
Lastly, I think you should make the shading darker, and add highlights to make the drawing really pop!
1238.png
1238.png (30.09 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
For shading use colors not of the same hue, but relatively close. Here's a tutorial/comparison of a sort on this: http://fav.me/d8pnrfa

bosinpai
Regular

#14 Post by bosinpai »

Thanks a lot for the critique robovelociraptor!

I dig the "pose conveys character" concept, much potential for creativity.
I realize that I don't know him so well: as the script is currently a draft, this character is still shallow and undeveloped - and this shows!
People are quite young at that historical period, including the main noble characters, hence I didn't push the age; this breaks the modern reader's expectations though, so I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the shadow&hue pointer, I recently varied saturation in addition to value, and now I see we can vary hue as well, shadows are definitely richer than they seem :)
(and yes, my shadows were VERY light, I chickened!)

robovelociraptor
Regular
Deviantart: robovelociraptor

#15 Post by robovelociraptor »

bosinpai wrote:I dig the "pose conveys character" concept, much potential for creativity.
Yep! Poses are probably just as important (if not more important than) the way the character is styled. (Clothes, hair, ect.)
People are quite young at that historical period, including the main noble characters, hence I didn't push the age; this breaks the modern reader's expectations though, so I'll keep that in mind.
Oh! I forgot all about that, somehow. I pictured him in his 40's or 50's lolol. Sorry about that!! Definitely don't push the age if it doesn't match the historical period!
Thanks for the shadow&hue pointer, I recently varied saturation in addition to value, and now I see we can vary hue as well, shadows are definitely richer than they seem :)
(and yes, my shadows were VERY light, I chickened!)
You're welcome! ^^ This was something I recently learned, too; it's amazing how much more interesting it makes the coloring!