Lairis' Art Thread. CRITIQUE PLEASE!!

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Lairis
Tumblr: lairis-invertedperspective
Deviantart: Lairis

Lairis' Art Thread. CRITIQUE PLEASE!!

#1 Post by Lairis »

Hi! I'm Lairis!
I'm looking to improve my art, so criticism is more than welcome! :) I've been practicing sprites and CGs, and I would really appreciate some feed back! Here are three mock up male sprite designs I've been working on recently:
sprite pracc 2wm.jpg
sprite prac 3.png
sprite practisewm.jpg
and some older female mock up sprites (more just character deisgns really)
sprite 2.jpg
sprite.jpg
As for CGs, I've designed some for a game that hasn't come out yet and they contain spoilers, so I'm just going to post some other illustrations I've done (again, criticism is really appreciated)
flurtt3.jpg
yukia.jpg
cheese_in_the_trap__jooyong_and_heo_by_lairis-da5nhhc.jpg

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

Re: Lairis' Art Thread. CRITIQUE PLEASE!!

#2 Post by Mama J »

Your CGs are really good! I especially like the second to last one ^^
If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were a professional at first glance! Keep it up and I wish you luck on your future work~

Lairis

#3 Post by Lairis »

Mama J wrote:Your CGs are really good! I especially like the second to last one ^^
If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were a professional at first glance! Keep it up and I wish you luck on your future work~
Thank you so much for your comment! It made me feel really good! :D
Although I'm faaaaaaar from professional!

guzy
Regular

#4 Post by guzy »

Lairis wrote:
Mama J wrote:Your CGs are really good! I especially like the second to last one ^^
Thank you so much for your comment! It made me feel really good! :D
Although I'm faaaaaaar from professional!

I don't know why you say that, you're art is so eye-catching

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#5 Post by King-sama »

In "flurtt3" are they on a cliff??

Anyways, This is for the first male sprite:
sprite pracc 2wm.jpg
And this is for the second one:
sprite prac 3.png
Hope it helps ^^

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

Lairis wrote:...
and some older female mock up sprites (more just character designs really)
sprite 2.jpg
If I had to guess the character's age, I would say it's somewhere between 18 and 25.

I mainly thought about the character's outfit. As far as I can tell, it consists of...

* An elaborate earring
* A necklace with a large hoop
* A lavender shirt with a ruffled neck
* A black undershirt
* A belt which seems rather large
* Three wristbands
* Athletic shorts
* Tights (stockings?)
* Lavender boots which don't seem to have laces or clasps

The outfit isn't necessarily bad. However, it has a lot of details. So many aspects of it seem to call for the viewer's attention. Does the character need, or even like wearing, all of the accessories? Does her outfit make sense in her fictional world? Does it make sense regarding the character's personality?

I don't mind how there is a gap between the character's shorts and tights ("zettai ryouiki"). However, I'm not sure if it's necessary.

Lairis

#7 Post by Lairis »

Thank you so much! ^_^
"In flurtt3" are they on a cliff??
That one was a fan art, so I wasn't really thinking about it in terms of naturalism, but rather in terms of stylistic composition. So, honestly, I'm not sure where they are, lol.
Anyways, This is for the first male sprite
sprite pracc 2wm.jpg
I realized now I should have changed the rest of the shirt when I redrew the pose, haha. Also, I just realized that I didn't use a reference for the shirt at all, which I'm
not sure what I was thinking! Although the tie is supposed to be short (I was using a reference for the tie and the pants--he's not specifically supposed to be a business man, he's slightly more causal, so I wanted the tie to be shorter and the pants and shoes aren't business pants and shoes, but I realize now that should make that clearer within the picture, as people do assume these things from the rest of the visual cues).
And this is for the second one:
sprite prac 3.png
Hope it helps ^^
Oh, that's how you get the glowing effect, thank you! And yeah, I wasn't really thinking about what ears they were supposed to be, I should have used a specific animal as a reference! I was just thinking about a generic Kemonomimi, though I choose to refer to him as a cat in my head afterwards, because that is the closest to what he looks like!

Also I realized now there were a lot of mistakes that I was aware of when I was drawing them, but I became too lazy to fix up while I was coloring it, or that I neglected to think about while drawing them, and I thought nobody would catch them! I'm glad somebody did, it makes me more motivated to fix them while actually drawing them, rather than wave them off as unnecessary! I also forget some times that people can't read my mind, and I should make it clearer through visual cues what kind of person they are.

Also--yes! Thank for the expression advice, it's something I've specifically had a problem with!

Thank you again for your advice! It was super helpful! :D
Last edited by Lairis on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lairis

#8 Post by Lairis »

If I had to guess the character's age, I would say it's somewhere between 18 and 25.
I never really considered what her age was now that I think about it, but I guess that's about right? (If you're referring too the "older" part though, I meant I did them awhile ago, not the character's actual age, though if you got that, it's fair enough, I should have worded that better).
I mainly thought about the character's outfit.

As far as I can tell, it consists of...

* An elaborate earring
* A necklace with a large hoop
* A lavender shirt with a ruffled neck
* A black undershirt
* A belt which seems rather large
* Three wristbands
* Athletic shorts
* Tights (stockings?)
* Lavender boots which don't seem to have laces or clasps

The outfit isn't necessarily bad. However, it has a lot of details. So many aspects of it seem to call for the viewer's attention. Does the character need, or even like wearing, all of the accessories? Does her outfit make sense in her fictional world? Does it make sense regarding the character's personality?

I don't mind how there is a gap between the character's shorts and tights ("zettai ryouiki"). However, I'm not sure if it's necessary.
Yeah, you're right! I did this one when I was trying to figure out how to do more "interesting" out fits (also when I was first figuring out how to use Sai paint Tool). However I kinda remember getting so caught up in finding different things to put on her that, reflecting back on it now, it all became a bit Hodge-bodged. :?
I'll definitely keep that in mind when designing future designs!
Thank you so much for your feed back!

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#9 Post by King-sama »

Lairis wrote: Oh, that's how you get the glowing effect, thank you! And yeah, I wasn't really thinking about what ears they were supposed to be, I should have used a specific animal as a reference! I was just thinking about a generic Kemonomimi, though I choose to refer to him as a cat in my head afterwards, because that is the closest to what he looks like!
Yeah, better to take a bit of time to plan things before starting lol you will end up with less mistakes
Lairis wrote: Also I realized now there were a lot of mistakes that I was aware of when I was drawing them, but I became too lazy to fix up while I was coloring it, or that I neglected to think about while drawing them, and I thought nobody would catch them! I'm glad somebody did, it makes me more motivated to fix them while actually drawing them, rather than wave them off as unnecessary! I also forget some times that people can't read my mind, and I should make it clearer through visual cues what kind of person they are.
Lol you made my day! Yeah, some mistakes should be fixed and some others not coz sometimes "mistakes" make things look nicer, like the exaggerated expressions I talked about or sketches look nicer than final lineart
Lairis wrote: Also--yes! Thank for the expression advice, it's something I've specifically had a problem with!
We all had a problem with it lol I found something interesting in the past but now can't find it that could help you...
But, found something similar---> https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 106704.jpg
This is also helpful--> http://img01.deviantart.net/7386/i/2009 ... mcohen.jpg
I know you don't draw animals but this can also clear what I mean --> https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... b76ac8.jpg
Cartoons can be very helpful with exaggerated expressions. This one is nice one --> https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... d81440.jpg
Lairis wrote:Thank you again for your advice! It was super helpful! :D
Welcome~

Lairis

#10 Post by Lairis »

Update: please feel free to critique!
Tai sprite 2.png
mika sprite sheet.png
sprtiz_by_lairis-db6ks2x.jpg