How would you describe my art style?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

How would you describe my art style?

#1 Post by Katy133 »

I recently updated my yearly artist improvement chart, and I began to wonder once again about what my individual art style is. What makes my art recognisable? What makes my art stand out? I'd really like your thoughts.

It's challenging (for me anyway) to describe my own art style because I'm constantly experimenting and trying different techniques and styles. Yet I've heard people tell me that my work is "recognisable" to them (that they know it was me who drew it before they read the artist's name). My artwork can be found on my online gallery, but I'll also place several pieces below:

ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

Re: How would you describe my art style?

#2 Post by morinoir »

I think I agree with what those people have said. You have distinct anatomy style that I can see quite clearly on first to sixth picture (with exception on second picture). The last 3 pictures also have similar style on their anatomy. I can see that you like dramatic lightning and strong contrast, but I'm sure your coloring technique can be better. Just keep practicing! =)

I'm also those artist that enjoy style experiment so I say it's perfectly alright to do it, ESPECIALLY if you enjoy it. Some people will tell you to stick to one thing and be great at it, but to reach that point, I say experiment is a must. It also don't hurt to start reviewing your works and find out which aspect than can be improved and which skill that you want to learn. Don't worry if you can't define your 'style' right now because it will eventually show up as you progress. The most important thing is to keep drawing.

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

Re: How would you describe my art style?

#3 Post by Fuseblower »

Well, an individual style carries only the name of the individual working in it. The "big" styles (like impressionism, ligne claire, Jugendstil, etc.) are just broad sweeping classifications of techniques or ideas. These two categories of styles are very different things. An individual could work in different styles (or techniques) and still be recognizable for his/her individual style present in the different works.

Having said that : I do see common things in your work. A lot of it is balanced around the middle vertical. Everything is centered and balanced, even the colors. There's also a strong 2 dimensional design about it. It stresses 2 dimensional forms, not 3 dimensional volumes. Objects and figures are standing next to each other, not in front of one another. Space is divided clearly and symmetrically.

All of this gives a kind of stillness (timelessness) and finality to the work (which is probably what you're looking for).

Now, if you want to experiment then I wouldn't change the technique (which you've already done across different drawings) but the composition. Exaggerated perspectives with vanishing points way off the screen, sweeping arcs, unbalanced and dynamic, tilted horizons, etc.