Evy's art - Concrit welcome!

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

Evy's art - Concrit welcome!

#1 Post by Evy »

Ayyy. So, I've been drawing for... a really really long time. Ever since I could hold a pencil, basically. I've been an art student for a pretty long time and I've completed my thesis project for my comic degree in university (I don't have the actual degree yet because... credits). I recently dug up some ooooold art I did throughout the years, and while I was glad to see how quickly I had improved then, I really feel like in the last few years, my progress has been stagnating pretty bad. It doesn't help when month-long episodes of artblock occur like they did recently...

I've been trying to get back on track but I haven't been very daring yet. Plus, I just reformatted my computer in the last 24 hours, and my tablet decided to give out on me, sooooo... I'm stuck.

BUT IN THE MEANTIME I figure I could share some of the things I've already done! Not everything is related to my current VN project and uh, I do draw a lot of Homestuck fantrolls. cough. Oh, also, I do draw sexual nsfw things too - I just won't post any of it here because it's definitely not the appropriate place for that, haha. Also, all the images in this post are linked directly from my tumblr in smaller resolutions, or gyazo screencaps of them.

So without further ado: ART!
A'ight, that should be enough for now.

I'm aware that this selection of drawings doesn't really show much. No backgrounds, dynamic posing, ambient lighting, perspective, etc... and to be completely honest I'm not very adventurous with any of those, haha. I need to kick myself in the butt.

ye...

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Evy's art - Concrit welcome!

#2 Post by Zelan »

I'm not very experienced in critiquing art, so I can't help much with ways to improve. I just wanted to say that your style is gorgeous. c: I love the ones with thicker linearts, but all of it is fantastic. I think my favorite is the 5th one, with all of the headshots, but Gabriel looks awesome, too. (Happy late birthday to him!)

Glitterbark
Regular
Projects: Best Wishes
Tumblr: glitterbarkgaming
itch: glitterbark

#3 Post by Glitterbark »

Ohhh, I really like your art! It's bright, it's eye-catching, there are interesting designs, and the characters look fun. If you're worried about stagnation, I've always found that experimenting breaks me out of an art rut. Perhaps try playing with using colored lineart? I see you've done it a little bit, but you could push it farther. It can really add depth to art and I've seen it used to great effect. Especially in hair!

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing more art from you.
WIP: Image

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

#4 Post by SexBomb »

Absolutely adorable style! You have a lot of strength in character design and developing interesting ideas for outfits, hair, use of colour, etc. My favourite pieces of yours are the ones that look just a little more toony with a heavy black shadow under the chin. So much personality! That said, I do think you could improve your colouring technique a bit, and I would love to see more action/pushed poses. Even simple standing poses could be improved by just adding a liiiittle more activity... maybe just a little more of a hip jut, or just a slightly more tilted turn of the head. It just adds a little more visual interest.

In terms of colouring, your sense of colour is definitely there, but the technique you use for colouring just doesn't do it for me (aside from the extremely heavy black, as I mentioned above). I agree with FoxTrotMuffin that you should expiriment with coloured lines at least for some of your thinner lineart. Also remember to think about texture as you shade and highlight... a lot of your textures don't quite feel like what they are trying to portray, so it's extremely important to understand how light hits every material/angle in your art. Skin is going to react different than cloth, cloth is going to react differently than hair, etc. Just another thing to consider as you move forward and improve your technique and style.

Best of luck! I look forward to seeing more from you. :)

Evy
Regular

#5 Post by Evy »

I can't produce any new digital art at the moment due to technical difficulties, and I'm waiting on my new PC to come in, which should hopefully be later next week. In the meantime, here are some other things from before.
I promise I've drawn more interesting/varied stuff than this, it's just... not always presentable haha;; both in terms of quality and content. whoops

Evy
Regular

#6 Post by Evy »

Whew, haven't looked at this thread in a while. I didn't really think of updating it lately because what I've been drawing is either project-related to be kept under wraps (or posted in their respective threads) or... y'know... not presentable in this part of the forum. But here's some more recent stuff, including some commissions. They're all Gyazo caps because I'm lazy.
I'm thinking of making a commission thread sometime in the future, but I have to revise my price list and come up with more recent samples first.

Evy
Regular

#7 Post by Evy »

Image Image

Redraw (right) of something from 2009 (left).