Can I get some quick anatomy/pose help on this sprite?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Yunou
Regular

Can I get some quick anatomy/pose help on this sprite?

#1 Post by Yunou »

Hey! So, I know everyone is busy participating in NaNo right now, but I was wondering if anyone had the time, if someone could please help me by possibly doing a quick redline over her posing issues, particularly in her hands and shoulders. I'd appreciate it forever!

I've been staring at it for hours after a friend of mine pointed out her arm looks weird but I just can't figure it out myself and I sure as heck don't want to start coloring until I can get this sorted out.

Thanks for any possible help!

(Also, good luck to everyone this month!)

EDIT - Also, do you think her head is too big even stylistically? I was told her head looks a bit big and when I scale it down a hair, it looks just fine but I think I prefer the size it is now stylistically.

updated fixed version http://i.imgur.com/9zyCo8n.png
Last edited by Yunou on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Can I get some quick anatomy/pose help on this sprite?

#2 Post by indoneko »

Her right hand pose doesn't feel natural... at least not with her torso fully facing forward like that.
The solution? Either change her hand position (rotate her upper arm joint or move her right elbow a little further from her body), OR make her upper torso twisted to the right if you want to "hide" her right arm.
Attachments
doesn't her hand look uncomfortable here?
doesn't her hand look uncomfortable here?
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Yunou
Regular

#3 Post by Yunou »

indoneko wrote:Her right hand pose doesn't feel natural... at least not with her torso fully facing forward like that.
The solution? Either change her hand position (rotate her upper arm joint or move her right elbow a little further from her body), OR make her upper torso twisted to the right if you want to "hide" her right arm.
Thank so much! Yes, I think I will just go head and change the hand position so that her arm is farther from her body.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by indoneko »

EDIT - Also, do you think her head is too big even stylistically? I was told her head looks a bit big and when I scale it down a hair, it looks just fine but I think I prefer the size it is now stylistically.
I've seen several animes where the character's heads are as big as the one in your picture. And instead of the head, I'm more concerned about her hip/pelvis. Assuming that she's an "adult" female, her hip should be a little wider than her shoulder.... right?

Here's a sample from "Gochuumon Wa Usagi Desu Ka?"
Attachments
a typical adult female curvature
a typical adult female curvature
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Yunou
Regular

#5 Post by Yunou »

indoneko wrote:
I've seen several animes where the character's heads are as big as the one in your picture. And instead of the head, I'm more concerned about her hip/pelvis. Assuming that she's an "adult" female, her hip should be a little wider than her shoulder.... right?

Here's a sample from "Gochuumon Wa Usagi Desu Ka?"
Haha, yes, you are absolutely right! The funny thing about this is that originally her hips were very wide but I scaled it back because I thought I was going overboard and in my head she is a very thin character (I prefer very curvy characters so I thought I was just projecting that onto her).

I'm going to do some work on her hips tonight as well (I think I need to pull up her right hip a bit and adjust her legs a tad). Thanks for pointing that out!

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#6 Post by ISAWHIM »

In the original picture, also...

The breasts are "front-view", but her shoulder is obviously "back".

Thus, her (left-drawn), breast should be more of a side-angle view, not a frontal view. (To signify that her collar-bone has pulled it back, up and to the side. (For true "realism", both breasts on the upper torso, should have a similar "tilt-angle", with the (left-drawn), breast still having slightly more angle and "lift" or "sag", due to the collar-bone skin-tension.)

Attaching a rendered 3D model, in roughly the same pose. (Tried to match body/style as much as possible.)
pose1.png

Yunou
Regular

#7 Post by Yunou »

ISAWHIM wrote:In the original picture, also...

The breasts are "front-view", but her shoulder is obviously "back".

Thus, her (left-drawn), breast should be more of a side-angle view, not a frontal view. (To signify that her collar-bone has pulled it back, up and to the side. (For true "realism", both breasts on the upper torso, should have a similar "tilt-angle", with the (left-drawn), breast still having slightly more angle and "lift" or "sag", due to the collar-bone skin-tension.)

Attaching a rendered 3D model, in roughly the same pose. (Tried to match body/style as much as possible.)
pose1.png
This is incredible. Thank you so much for this!

I don't know anything about 3D modeling, would you mind explaining what software/how one would go about doing this sort of thing? I don't think my computer can handle 3D modeling right now but I eventually would like to be able to do something like this for help with posing issues so I don't have to keep asking people for help.

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#8 Post by ISAWHIM »

Get Daz3D, it is free, with the default models you can easily pose and render them how you like. I use it for 2D and 3D stuff. Easier then trying to roll the dice in google, looking for poses.

P.S. There is tons of legal free things too, for Daz.

Doesn't take much to run. It is just a posing tool, not a 3D modeling tool. However, most clothing fits and conforms to almost every model. Plus, you can adjust most shapes to fit your needs.

Posing is done with simple sliders for each body part, or prefab controls for groups of things, like fists and twists and sitting... It's like game-sliders for adjusting your characters looks, but it also does body motions.

Generic overview of Daz3D

Poses (Advanced stuff)

Yunou
Regular

#9 Post by Yunou »

ISAWHIM wrote:Get Daz3D, it is free, with the default models you can easily pose and render them how you like. I use it for 2D and 3D stuff. Easier then trying to roll the dice in google, looking for poses.

P.S. There is tons of legal free things too, for Daz.

Doesn't take much to run. It is just a posing tool, not a 3D modeling tool. However, most clothing fits and conforms to almost every model. Plus, you can adjust most shapes to fit your needs.

Posing is done with simple sliders for each body part, or prefab controls for groups of things, like fists and twists and sitting... It's like game-sliders for adjusting your characters looks, but it also does body motions.
Dear goodness, thank you so much for this info. This is what I've been looking for for years now. I'm really excited to try this out!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#10 Post by Imperf3kt »

I like using MMD for my posing images. But thats just down to preference.

The opening post image, clearly the right arm was at an odd angle (way too low, making her arm look long with her elbow really close to her wrist) but thats not the only issue I saw.
Personally, the midriff looks too small. She looks like she should be leaner, but its as if somebody put a giant rubber band around her stomach and its all bunching up in one point.

I dunno, maybe once its colored it'll look right.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Yunou
Regular

#11 Post by Yunou »

Alright, so I tried fixing the pose and used the 3D model as an overlay and guide. The legs are not 100% like the model because placing her legs so close together looked awkward in the picture. I also ended up somehow upping her cup size? Anyway, I hope this looks a little bit more natural.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#12 Post by Imperf3kt »

That looks a lot better, much more natural looking.

<nosebleed>upping cup size isn't necessarily a bad thing</nosebleed>
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Yunou
Regular

#13 Post by Yunou »

Imperf3kt wrote:That looks a lot better, much more natural looking.

<nosebleed>upping cup size isn't necessarily a bad thing</nosebleed>
Thanks! Yeah, I think I'm digging the change myself. <3

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#14 Post by ISAWHIM »

Yes, you can see the subtle curve changes, and proportions depth.

The legs are fine. There was a slight gap in the model, but the hips were rotated to the pose of the cross-legs. More youthful models have a bigger gap than the older models. (Naturally) Without seeing your feet, I couldn't really tell what her stance was. (If I put a youthful morph on the model, it shrank the breasts too. I wasn't too concerned with her hips. There was hip-morphs and thigh-morphs as-well.)

With color/shade, that will complete the look.

You can use the 3D model for assistance with that too. Just blur the heck out of it, then reduce the colors to 16-colors. (Ghetto way to do cell-color/shades, with a color-picker.) Just tint the skin as needed.

You can also load any of the skins into a paint program and paint-on your outfits and guide-lines to see the curves better on the rendered model.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#15 Post by Taleweaver »

Moved to Personal Art.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira