Would you be interested in BG art like this?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Celianna
Veteran

Would you be interested in BG art like this?

#1 Post by Celianna »

Since I'm making my own BGs for my game, I've decided on a minimalist style so that I can create more of them, and fast. It suits the art style of my own game, but it's very different than what most people are used to in backgounds for visual novels.

I realize these backgrounds are fun to make, and don't take too long (about an hour and a half for each?), and I could probably create backgrounds for general use, such as classrooms, school buildings, bedrooms etc.

What do you think? Would you like to see backgrounds in this style? They are 1109x624 in resolution, but upscaling them wouldn't reduce quality due to the simple art style.

How it looks like in my game.

Bigger samples here.
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

Re: Would you be interested in BG art like this?

#2 Post by pyopyon »

They're gorgeous! Clean lines, simple without looking empty-- I can't imagine any problems had with using them in a game.
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#3 Post by Scribbles »

these are a nice style, it would probably depend on the feel of the game and sprite art, but I could see these types of BGs in lots of games. nice work!
Image - Image -Image

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

If they'd all be in the same style (as opposed to having to use a different style bg or even a photo for part of the bgs in the project) then most definately I'd like to use them depending on the project. This would go great in VN, especially in slice of life or if those VN have simpler/more basic sprites as well. And a hour and a half? You work fast.

Yes, if you make enough of generally needed backgrounds for this style to cover most stories' demands then I can see many people using it instead of Photosketchers and Uncle Mugen's bgs.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Celianna
Veteran

#5 Post by Celianna »

Mammon wrote:If they'd all be in the same style (as opposed to having to use a different style bg or even a photo for part of the bgs in the project) then most definately I'd like to use them depending on the project. This would go great in VN, especially in slice of life or if those VN have simpler/more basic sprites as well. And a hour and a half? You work fast.

Yes, if you make enough of generally needed backgrounds for this style to cover most stories' demands then I can see many people using it instead of Photosketchers and Uncle Mugen's bgs.
Yep, that's the thing; keeping backgrounds all in the same style. That's why I'm making my own to begin with.

If people are interested, I will make some more common backgrounds in the same style, and release them for people to use in their visual novels. Why hog them all to myself, right?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#6 Post by Mammon »

Whoops, didn't phrase that properly. I meant that, if the bgs you're offering would cover the needs of my project, then I'd use them. If I would really need a toilet bg for example but there's not one in the list, and the same goes for a few others, then it'd be a problem. But that seems mostly a matter of looking how to cover all general needs best, and looking what subjects other bg sites cover.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Celianna
Veteran

#7 Post by Celianna »

Mammon wrote:Whoops, didn't phrase that properly. I meant that, if the bgs you're offering would cover the needs of my project, then I'd use them. If I would really need a toilet bg for example but there's not one in the list, and the same goes for a few others, then it'd be a problem. But that seems mostly a matter of looking how to cover all general needs best, and looking what subjects other bg sites cover.
Hmm, well, that will always be an issue with 'common' backgrounds - you'll never really find anything that will 100% fit in your game, you'll always have some special demand.

My own special demands are:
- Car dashboard for the inside of a car scene
- Electronics store with cellphones on display
- A clothing boutique

But that's why I'm making my own! Once I'm finished with them, I'm sure I'll have covered a wide variety of subjects for backgrounds. One part of my game will involve a college and dorms, so I'll be making plenty of backgrounds for that - who knows, maybe a toilet background haha.

I understand your point though, if there's one thing you're missing, then it's hard to justify yourself to switch over from the BGs you're currently using.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

Moved to Personal Art.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira