What do you honestly think of my art?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
YaminoOkami
Regular
Projects: 17th Astral

Re: What do you honestly think of my art?

#16 Post by YaminoOkami »

skyeworks wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 pm It's more of the method then program. I asked for the program so I can tell you how to avoid that. (Photoshop has the exact same problem as well) Basically those spaces are because of of anti-aliasing; pixels of lighter colors are generated along edges in order to make it look smooth. (So like your lines are actually a black line with grey so it looks really smooth.) The paint bucket doesn't fill those other colors, just the empty pixels.

I never used Krita so I don't know how to fix it...but if there's an option to use increase the tolerances for paint bucket that might help. I usually use the colors on a separate layer with the magic wand tool (Easier to clean up those white lines without messing up the black ones. ) AND IF THATS FAILS, you can always draw really big and then scale it down.

Here's an example of using my work.Excuse the terrible animation, I'm no animator. (See no white, and it was made from a huge image so even if there were, you can't really tell.
In Krita selection/wand toll actually leaves even more of those lines then bucket so I had already been doing what you suggested (Drawing big, mostly around 4K and doing color on a separate layer so I can fix it easier without messing up a linear.) I could try going even bigger, but that would increase lag/freeze as bigger resolutions also put more strain on PC and Krita has a very high PC requirements, especially since I use auto save function witch saves everything every couple of lines since while that does increase freeze/crash it also makes sure that if something happens I don't lose any of my work.

True now that I quickly googled for bucket tolerance it does seem that Krita has something like that, will have to give it a try, thanks for letting me know about that.

PS: Animation aside, your work looks pretty great.

skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

#17 Post by skyeworks »

YaminoOkami wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:32 am
In Krita selection/wand toll actually leaves even more of those lines then bucket so I had already been doing what you suggested (Drawing big, mostly around 4K and doing color on a separate layer so I can fix it easier without messing up a linear.) I could try going even bigger, but that would increase lag/freeze as bigger resolutions also put more strain on PC and Krita has a very high PC requirements, especially since I use auto save function witch saves everything every couple of lines since while that does increase freeze/crash it also makes sure that if something happens I don't lose any of my work.

True now that I quickly googled for bucket tolerance it does seem that Krita has something like that, will have to give it a try, thanks for letting me know about that.

PS: Animation aside, your work looks pretty great.
Aww, goodness, sorry. I wished I knew more about Krita. But the auto save functions sounds really handy! lol. I did a quick google and found this
In most cases the fill-tool can’t deal with the anti-aliasing(the soft edge in your lineart to make it more smooth when zoomed out) In Krita you have the grow-shrink option. Setting that to say… 2 expands the colour two pixels.

Threshold decides when the fill-tool should consider a different colour pixel to be a border. And the feathering adds a extra soft border to the fill.
I don't know if that would work but it sounds like it would. (Sounds like how I use the magic wand tool, I usually feather stuff or just paint it manually.

Haha, Thanks you so much. You have a nice style, yourself! It's very cute.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#18 Post by Steamgirl »

I think your art is cute, if a bit wobbly! The second character I liked especially, nice colours (I know you mentioned it's not your original design but you still replicated it nicely). I would probably give a VN with that kind of art a chance if it was free to play and I knew the writer was good. ^_^

I prefer the lighter ones, since you asked. ^_^

As for how real life reference can help improve drawings - I think most people are talking from an anatomic perspective. But even when you move past that stage, I still use real life reference all the time. Here is an example of the reference I used for the elbow creases alone:

If I had only used anime references I don't think I could have achieved the same level of depth as I have by using real life references. It also means I can retain my own style AND make the lines more realistic, because sometimes other artists don't get it right. I see it all the time, they draw the creases in the arm always going from where the sleeve starts toward the elbow, but actually, if you look at real life reference, sometimes the creases go the other way, depending on the position of the arm.

Is it going to totally ruin the image if I don't use real life reference? No, of course not.
Do I learn something new as an artist each time I use real life reference? Yes.
Do I think my art looks better because of it? Yes.

Anyway, I just thought I'd add this here because I know it can be hard to motivate yourself to learn from real life when what you really want to do is draw anime style. ^_^ Don't worry, whatever you do, the more you draw the better you get at it. So if it feels too much like work and not enough fun, maybe life drawing isn't for you at this point in your art journey. You can get better without drawing from real life. It just takes longer. ^_^

Hope this helps!!

Steamgirl

YaminoOkami
Regular
Projects: 17th Astral

#19 Post by YaminoOkami »

Steamgirl wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:11 am Steamgirl
Firstly thanks for feedback! Sorry for my late replay, for some reason I thought I replayed already.... guess not.

Firstly did you see my updated drawings too or just the first ones? If not could you check them as well, would like to hear your opinion on them as well.
YaminoOkami wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:06 am I had been drawing a lot and had improved some points in my art, I would like to get some feedback on my improvement if possible.

https://image.ibb.co/mismhF/5_5.png
https://image.ibb.co/iKBwhF/6.png

As for that kind of real life references, I am completely ok with that and I see how they can help, I have noting against using real life references for objects, rooms, close, nature, etc. I am only against using real life references for people/characters, this is because I worry my drawing could start resembling real people and that's number one thing I want to avoid. I am not talking only about most obvious differences between anime character and real people like big eyes and small nose but also other differences that are often missed, like shape of hands and feets, like real people tend to have more bony and curvy hands and feet while anime characters have more perfect, doll-like hands and feet and I have problem drawing those like I want even without using real life people as references so I worry if I use real life people as references that it will just push my drawing furder away from style i like and want to draw.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#20 Post by Steamgirl »

I can really sympathise with the dilemma of using stylised art as reference vs real life, when you're still trying to learn the style. Eventually, when the style becomes second nature, you'll automatically "translate" into your own style as you draw while using real life reference, but I can see how it's tricky early days. I think, if you used stylised reference for your images that's probably fine for now, but if you fancy doing some targeted work like improving how you draw hands, it's useful to do studies like these:

https://taileendenvers.deviantart.com/a ... -341963756
https://emisuzu.deviantart.com/art/prac ... -189660589

You can do a similar thing for practising stylised features, for example this was a nose study I did a couple of years ago, when I was trying to figure out what style most suited me for colouring noses:

https://steamgirlgame.deviantart.com/ar ... -487616775

Anyway, about your latest two pieces. I think they both have some great features. The demon looks like you've put a lot of effort into getting the shapes and proportions to your liking. The colour and shading are weaker aspects. While the second one has lovely colour and shading, but some of the lines and proportions are weaker. It looks great from the chest down, though - there is lovely volume to the clothes. The hand is a bit small and I'm not personally a fan of "no nose" type drawings. The eyebrows seem rushed. But the shape of the hair and ears is lovely. You might be able to improve that image if the hair highlights come from the same light-source as the rest of the drawing. :)

Warm wishes,

Steamgirl