HELP US - How to Develop our GUI (textbox)??

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Helyees
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts

HELP US - How to Develop our GUI (textbox)??

#1 Post by Helyees »

Hi Good Folks!

Do you have any ideas/suggestions how to iterate on our GUi (namely the textbox in the picture)? The plot takes place in a war factory
so we thouhght about a rusty steel color on the gui. Does it feel odd or misplaced in some way?

The games theme is an alternative WW2, Adventure, Romance & Drama.

Any suggestions could be very valuable <3

skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

Re: HELP US - How to Develop our GUI (textbox)??

#2 Post by skyeworks »

It's looks really good to me though...it's kinda bothers me that the text sitting outside of the text box. Other then that, it's fits really well!

Helyees
Regular

#3 Post by Helyees »

Thank you skyeworks for the feedback! The text must be editet ASAP - that is true. I will also try to make the gui textbox a bit more red to stand out a little.

Follow Panzer Hearts!

Last edited by Helyees on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qwxlea
IRC Nick: qwxlea
Github: Qwxlea

#4 Post by Qwxlea »

The text fonts are too modern, you might look at some additional fonts: WW2 fonts. Some of these posters could give some ideas, I personally like this one:

I like the Gothic text for the German soldier, it would be nice to use something fitting for others as well. If, as previously stated, the text would fit in the text boxes, and the main font would be replaced with something more fitting to the time-period, the whole thing would look quite OK. Well done!

Helyees
Regular

#5 Post by Helyees »

Thank you for the idea on fonts Qwxlea! Your font suggestion does not show, but I try to came up with alternatives. Thanks again!
Last edited by Helyees on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#6 Post by sasquatchii »

I'm wondering why the text for the name & dialogue don't line up inside of the boxes, and are floating awkwardly between textbox & background. It looks misaligned - and like a mistake.

If you pushed the text over to the right a bit, it would look a lot cleaner & easier to read (like this):

I would also recommend making the font for the names bigger. I increased the size slightly in the image above but you could probably go even a little bit bigger than this. Since it is a display font - meaning they are meant to call attention to something & should not be used in long blocks of copy) - they are not always legible at smaller sizes.

Another thing that I'm seeing is the quick menu at the bottom - it's a little bit hard to read (though I'm guessing you probably did this to show the button's inactive/idle state). You might want to consider darkening either the button backgrounds, or the icons to create more contrast and make it easier for players to see and read each button.

If you want to go above and beyond, consider having either all icons or all text for the buttons. Right now, you've got a mixture of both, which is inconsistent. For save & load icons, there are free sites you can use to find them such as flaticon and freepik, as long as you give credit to the creators. I would recommend icons over text since the buttons themselves are already quite small and icons are a lot easier to read than text will be in this situation.

You could also try desaturating the redness of the textbox - right now it seems to be the most vibrant and saturated thing on the screen - whereas the other art assets are a little bit more muted.

Here's a rough example I created to show the difference with a less saturated/slightly darker textbox:

Hope this helps! The tone you achieved with the rusted/faded background and metal gear button elements are quite nice and lend themselves to the art assets and atmosphere of the game.
ImageImage

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Threads on art by one single artist go into the Personal Art forum.

Moving.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Helyees
Regular

#8 Post by Helyees »

Thank you so sos soo much sasquatchii<3 <3 <3 :D :D Your professional tips really gave us something to think about! Very valuable feedback!
I will a post an update soon. :)

Follow Panzer Hearts!

Helyees
Regular

#9 Post by Helyees »

Made some changes suggested by the awesome sasquatchii and skyworks! I think the GUI is much better now.

We have been getting quite a lot critique from the VN players of our character art. Let´s see how it goes :)