Sasquatchii's Art Thread (Critiques & Constructive Criticism Requested) [NSFW]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

Re: Sasquatchii's Art Thread (Critiques & Constructive Criticism Requested) [NSFW]

#16 Post by Steamgirl »

Wow, good work! She looks very natural. You've really grasped directional lighting and volume well. :)
I love the shading on the (left) coat!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Re: Sasquatchii's Art Thread (Critiques & Constructive Criticism Requested) [NSFW]

#17 Post by sasquatchii »

Steamgirl, thank you so much for the kind words & encouragement!! I actually really struggled with the coat. There were so many intricate folds and creases in my reference that I just loosely followed a reference rather than drive myself crazy with trying to be accurate xD

Here is a recent digital work I've been working on, again using a photo reference but taking some liberties with the lighting and proportion.

I spent a great deal of time on this- quite a few hours, though I'm not sure exactly how many since I worked on it on & off over the course of 2 weeks and didn't exactly time myself.

The hands are off proportionally, and I struggled with them a lot but in the end just kind of did them more loosely and less detailed than the face. I had a lot of fun working on this, but I still have a long way to go and much more to learn if I want to become a better artist.

Any critique or feedback on this would be much appreciated!!

I've been feeling down recently about my art & my artistic ability. Does anyone else ever feel like that? I really struggle with my confidence & being patient in my ability to improve. I know it takes time, but I have been watching drawing tutorials recently and really envy other artists' ability to draw with such ease. I really hope that with more time and practice (and patience), I will one day become as good as them!
ImageImage

Steamgirl
Veteran

#18 Post by Steamgirl »

Oh sas, I have been there so many times over the years. I think what especially gets me down is when I don't see any progress. I want to be at point C but I'm at point B and even thought that's further along than point A, I am not happy enough from that. I just can't seem to move from B to C, and feel like I'm stuck in a hamster wheel, running and running, but not getting anywhere.

Usually, if I'm stuck in a rut, it helps me to focus my attention on something specific rather than generally drawing full images to the best of my capability. So for example, I might do a hand study, or experiment with different nose art styles. I then apply my study to a few paintings like this one and this one. (Gosh, feels to weird to look at old art again!) Or I take a couple of requests, just to feel like I'm drawing for a different purpose (to make someone else happy). Or I try a completely different art style to what I normally draw. Or I go back to making doodles in my usual art style (like make four 15 minute doodles), drawing completely from memory/imagination rather than trying to study something. Another one I like to do to perk me up is a Draw Again, when I dig out something I did 10 years ago and do a new and improved version. Basically, I look for something that will feel like a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, I actually think the hands came out pretty good in the picture above! It's the connecting arms that are a bit of a weird angle? The one on the right looks a bit like it bends where the bone should be straight? It's a really nice picture though, really great light study.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by sasquatchii »

Thank you for the feedback, Steamgirl~! I can't believe I missed the weirdness in the arms, I agree that they're a bit off, especially the right as you pointed out. I think I just stared at it for so long over time that I got used to it looking that way and it didn't register anymore ;_;

I LOVE the hand and nose studies you did, you are seriously so talented! I think I might have to give that a try. It would be beneficial to do eyes, lips, and faces, and ears, I think. Those are things I seem to struggle with a lot.

Thank you so much for your critique & feedback!!!

Below is another piece I tried in a different style - inspired by both disney and anime and lots of other cartoonists I like.

I could NOT figure out how to properly color this one... so I just gave up and did white + black lineart + purple xD
ImageImage

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#20 Post by King-sama »

Ohh really like that last one o: the style is nice

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by sasquatchii »

King-sama wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:59 pm Ohh really like that last one o: the style is nice
Thank you so much for the kind words!! I have been exploring various styles and mediums lately, it means a lot to hear encouraging things about my work (sometimes I fail spectacularly when trying new things xD)

Here's a self portrait I've been working on recently:

I thought it would be neat to show a bit of the process behind it - from a really rough doodle to completion. I really like dogs and used to foster dogs for various rescues in my area. I have 2 dogs of my own that are very sweet and like to cuddle - and wanted to do a doodle of me with one of them :)

Any feedback / comments / constructive criticism on this piece would be much appreciated!
ImageImage

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by sasquatchii »

I recently created the UI Kit for a commission!

I usually create "UI Kits" to suggest what an entire UI could look like - so basically the skin / aesthetic for everything. I try to focus on type, texture, color palette, and design elements & motifs!
ImageImage

Steamgirl
Veteran

#23 Post by Steamgirl »

Bit late to the game, but I love your self-portrait!! So cute! I actually associate it with your "signature" style... as in... when I think of you as an artist it's those little doodles that I think of, and the kind of art that you used in A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread. Or the little bee for the podcast you used to do (which I very much miss by the way!!!). I guess the colours have a lot to do with it? Somehow, they leave the biggest impression and stay in my memory. I don't know why, but they do.

I bet your doodles would do well in the deviantart adoption scene... but maybe I'm biased, hehe! :)

The UI looks nice if kinda massive?? I guess it's for high pixel density screens or console?

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by sasquatchii »

Thanks so much for the kind words, Steamgirl!! The UI is pretty big because I rescaled it to use in this thread (it's 800px wide). I thought it'd be cool to show off as much detail as possible. Though this is not the actual UI to be used in the game, just what the aesthetic and style will be. Once I get started on the textbox (which I am working on today) it'll look a lot better scale & size-wise.

And you're totally right... I never thought about it before but a lot of those things you mentioned use the same color palettes (yellow, brown, white).

And now that I'm thinking of it the piece I came back here to post also uses the same colors!!!

I made this pattern because I wanted to create something for the banner in my twitter profile. I also LOVE dogs and they bring so much joy to my life. I used to foster dogs for various rescues and, if I ever get a house, will probably continue on with that. At work I am known as "the dog whisperer" because of all the dogs I used to foster & find homes for.

Above are probably my top 2 all time favorite foster pups.

Both were strays, and Chompy (left) was pretty much a walking skeleton and in very bad shape when he was picked up. He was probably around 4 - 8 months old, and also had SO many ticks I had to pull off him when we first got him. He would have been euthanized if we had not taken him because the shelter was at full capacity. He was an amazingly sweet dog and it was awesome to see him put on weight and come out of his shell. He was probably the most chill / easiest pup ever, as he was laid back and smart - quick to potty train and quick to learn tricks. I would have kept him myself, except most apartment complexes will not let you have pitties or bully breeds, and I knew that could be a problem later on when we moved. He was adopted by a guy in his 20s that loves him to bits and pieces!! We called him Chompy because he was teething when we got him. He loved to nom on anything attached to a human - including arms, fingers, and legs. Funnily enough he never destroyed or chewed on any actual objects or furniture like some of our other fosters did, he just liked to chew on people for whatever reason.

Corra (right) was a year old when we got her, and was all around extremely sweet and good natured. She got along great with all other dogs, and we were considering adopting her when a family with young girls, 2 dogs, and a farm put in an application to adopt her!! We only had her 2 weeks (lol).

Sorry this got a bit long, just thought I'd share a bit about our past fosters (though all of our fosters were amazing and we were lucky to have met them)!!
ImageImage

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by sasquatchii »

More practice! CCW welcome

ImageImage

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#26 Post by Fuseblower »

Hi Sasquatchii,

if you're shading your work then you'd want to use at least 3 shades. With 2 shades you can only model in the light part of the face, with an extra dark you can also model the shadow part of the face.

Practicing shading requires good references (sunny photos). Look for the 5 major shades :

- Highlights, by far the brightest of the shades, typically small in size. The sharper the edge and the smaller the size of the highlight, the shinier the material is. Position of the highlight is essential and depends on the viewing angle. It's light that's bounced directly into the eye of the viewer. Color depends on the material but basically : if it's a metal (electrically conducting) then the highlight is the color of the metal (yellow highlight on a gold bar), if it's not then it's the color of the light.

- Middle tone, this is the part of the object that receives direct light. Color wise it's a mixture of the object's color and the color of the light source.

- Reflected light, this is the shadow part that doesn't receive direct light but light that's bounced off the environment. The color is a mixture of the color of the environment and the color of the material. Because of the difference in color, this is where the cool light/warm shadows and warm light/cool shadows come from. The reflected light parts can become saturated in color where flesh meets flesh, it becomes quite red.

- Shadow accents, this is the shadow part that doesn't receive direct light and also doesn't receive reflected light. It's the darkest of all the shades and sits between the middle tone and reflected light parts (it's very visible on the nose when the light comes in from one side).

- Cast shadows require special attention. The grow lighter in shade and the edges become softer the further away the part gets from the part that casts the shadow.

Although within each of the shades there can be variation, the following goes : a middle tone is never as light as a highlight, reflected light is never as light as the middle tone, etc.

And, of course, for all these parts goes that you have to look at the edges (are they sharp or fuzzy?) and how the contrast between the different types of shades works. This informs the viewer of the material. A smooth silk shirt works very differently than an old leather jacket.

Also : if you use shading then you have to shade everything. You didn't shade the eyes. If you fully shade the face but leave the eyes white then the eyes will look flat as cardboard cut outs that are glued on the face. Despite the white color of the eyes, the eyes are typically quite dark because they're in the shadow of the eye lids.

I'd lose that upper lip ridge line you've drawn. That ridge is typically a highlight in reality.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by sasquatchii »

Thank you, Fuse blower! These are all really great points. 100% agree with all of them, especially regarding the eyes (must make a note to self not to do that again in the future)!! I will continue studying lighting, shading, highlighting, and reflective light, but I really appreciate you breaking these down for me in a way that is easy to understand :D

I wanted to post another drawing I recently worked on, of a "dust bunny" character:

I recently bought a book for practicing drawing skills which has a ton of really cool exercises in it, and one of them was to draw a dust-bunny type character. For some reason, this was very therapeutic for me. I loved making his hair/dust/fur/fuzz/whateveryoucall it!!! Making these kinds of marks is really nice. I am really bad at drawing fur on animals but hope to improve that with time!

As always, CCW welcome.
ImageImage

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by sasquatchii »

Recently did an exercise where I created a character based on 3 attributes that described me. I chose clumsy, peaceful, and kind! I decided to draw inspiration from an animal and chose a manatee because I feel like they embody those traits perfectly (seriously they don't fight anything and happily approach people swimming in the wild in Florida - my family that lives in Florida has actually had manatees come up to them!!).

I had fun creating this guy, who I named "Manny" :)
ImageImage

Steamgirl
Veteran

#29 Post by Steamgirl »

Aw, that's so cute! He does look peaceful and kind. I wonder if there's a way to incorporate "clumsy" into painting like this without losing "peaceful"? Hmmm...