Nerupuff's Art Improvement Thread (critique appreciated)

Art threads specific to a single artist.
nerupuff
Veteran

Nerupuff's Art Improvement Thread (critique appreciated)

#1 Post by nerupuff »

Hi, everyone!

I've just started drawing (both digitally and traditionally) this November and I could really use some feedback for what I've recently created (just yesterday!), since I'm thinking of pursuing this sort of style for a visual novel I'm planning on creating in the near future. :wink:

Check it out here:
- https://nerupuff.deviantart.com/art/Ins ... -718185733

At the moment I'm looking at tutorials on coloring and shading since I'm not particularly used to that yet in digital art. I hope you can share tips and tricks for me to improve. Thank you so much!

[edit: I've changed this into my art improvement/critique thread (a showcase of some sort) so that I don't have to make a new post for it, since this was previously titled Looking for feedback! Do you think this style of art will work for a VN?.
Last edited by nerupuff on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: [Looking for feedback!] Do you think this style of art will work for a visual novel?

#2 Post by fleet »

I see no reason why your style of art would not work in a visual novel.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Harick
Veteran

Re: [Looking for feedback!] Do you think this style of art will work for a visual novel?

#3 Post by Harick »

Would be nice to see some more stuff you've made to get a better picture of what you can do, but from what you have I see no reason why it wouldn't be able to use that style, it looks good!

Only thing is that the style you use in a vn will affect the mood of and if the story is aiming for a different tone it could be quite bad, but tbh you could pull off anything as long as you are aware of what you are doing.

nerupuff
Veteran

#4 Post by nerupuff »

fleet wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:57 pm I see no reason why your style of art would not work in a visual novel.
Ah, well I suppose I asked this because most of the VNs that I've played or come across use the particular anime/manga style, and while most of my art influence lies within that, I've tried branching out because I find it hard to draw and digitally color like that. But thank you for the input!
ImageImage

nerupuff
Veteran

#5 Post by nerupuff »

Harick wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 pm Would be nice to see some more stuff you've made to get a better picture of what you can do, but from what you have I see no reason why it wouldn't be able to use that style, it looks good!

Only thing is that the style you use in a vn will affect the mood of and if the story is aiming for a different tone it could be quite bad, but tbh you could pull off anything as long as you are aware of what you are doing.
I haven't really done a lot of digital art (I just started on November!) so tbh this just my second art piece that I've uploaded on my deviantart. I see, I'm planning on a fantasy VN so maybe I feel if I polish up my art style like this it might work. Thank you!
ImageImage

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: Nerupuff's Art Improvement Thread (critique appreciated)

#6 Post by nerupuff »

Hello, everyone!

I've been drawing recently and I've made OCs (for a contest that I joined ((the cpcontest for dicesuki)) just this month) and these are my new works. I would appreciate critique. :) Maybe I'll be able to make progress with sprites now.

Although, spriting is no easy work. :oops:
ImageImage

anirhapsodist
Regular
Completed: All For You
Projects: Written in the Sky, Seduce Me: My Princess, Blind Men, Carpe Diem: Reboot, All For You
Organization: Home
Deviantart: anirhapsodist

#7 Post by anirhapsodist »

What tools and software do you use?

n_n b

nerupuff
Veteran

#8 Post by nerupuff »

anirhapsodist wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 am What tools and software do you use?

n_n b
Hi! I use a small-size Wacom Intuos Comic and Clip Studio Paint that came as a bundle together! I'm honestly not too good at body proportions yet so I managed to make this with the assistance of built-in 3D models in Clip Studio Paint that I posed into the character's bodies. :D
ImageImage

Harick
Veteran

#9 Post by Harick »

I think it looks good! As long as you keep practicing the things you aren't comfortable with you'll notice improvements in no time. The only thing I can say is that you might want to make the shadows a bit darker, as the contrast with the light and dark isn't that big, and doing so will make it pop out a bit more if that makes sense

nerupuff
Veteran

#10 Post by nerupuff »

Harick wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 pm I think it looks good! As long as you keep practicing the things you aren't comfortable with you'll notice improvements in no time. The only thing I can say is that you might want to make the shadows a bit darker, as the contrast with the light and dark isn't that big, and doing so will make it pop out a bit more if that makes sense
Harick, I appreciate the feedback! It does make sense. I'll make it a point to do some studies on lighting and shadows, and perhaps some cel-shading because I've been doing soft blending for shadows, which maybe limits the amount of contrast seen. Thank you! :D I'll be sure to practice more
ImageImage

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#11 Post by Fuseblower »

Hi, if you want to practice then make lots of "5 minute sketches". Of course, such sketches will be simple line drawings and not fully colored ones.

Concentrate on postures and don't use a mannekin for that but real life references. One thing I used to do was pop in some 50s musical movie, pause it on interesting poses and quickly draw those. Musicals from that era are best because they showed everything in wide shots (full body) with clear lighting.

The thing with practice is that you have to do it a lot. Drawing a 100 sketches in a single day will teach you way more than spending that day carefully coloring 1 drawing. Also, "life" in a drawing is in the posture, not in the color.

Of course, it really depends on what you want to achieve. Some artists just want to draw beautiful clothes. In that case concentrating on how folds work and light and shadow are important.

But the main thing is to draw a lot and this can only be done by concentrating on 1 thing at a time. It's also easier to spot errors that way.

nerupuff
Veteran

#12 Post by nerupuff »

I made a sketchy fanart of Aura from Locked Heart. :lol:

I think it's cute. I didn't focus on lineart for now.

I'll probably do some realistic figure as practice now. It just really feels nice to do something stylized, imo. But I gotta go start w/ basics.
Fuseblower wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:33 am Hi, if you want to practice then make lots of "5 minute sketches". Of course, such sketches will be simple line drawings and not fully colored ones.

Concentrate on postures and don't use a mannekin for that but real life references. One thing I used to do was pop in some 50s musical movie, pause it on interesting poses and quickly draw those. Musicals from that era are best because they showed everything in wide shots (full body) with clear lighting.
Yes! I looked for some reference books already which may help with postures and body proportions while I sketch. I've decided to buy a new sketchbook specifically for quick drawings and the like. Thank you for the advice! :D
ImageImage