Rukuai's Art Thread

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Rukuai
Deviantart: Rukuai

Rukuai's Art Thread

#1 Post by Rukuai »

Hello, I'm Rukuai, and I've been lurking around in the forums for too long. I've recently started drawing digitally, and am looking to improve. I thought I might post some of my art here. Feedback and critique is appreciated!

Edit: fixed the image sizes

Rukuai
Deviantart: Rukuai

Re: Rukuai's Art Thread

#2 Post by Rukuai »

Outlines for a character before coloring.

YaminoOkami
Regular
Projects: 17th Astral

#3 Post by YaminoOkami »

Hi,

You say critique is appreciated and as someone who's also learning art myself and appreciate critique myself I am going to give you my opinion, just keep in mind that I am no professional artist so this is an opinion from someone who is learning things himself.

In your color images, especially in first two I think there are too much of those smaller/thiner lines witch makes hair look messy (Not in as a messy hair, but as in drawn messy). Your last image before coloring looks way better regarding this so I am not sure if you noticed and fixed that yourself or if it is in process of coloring that you add those lines. It is a same case for hands on a second and 3rd image, and some smaller lines on dress on second image seem to also be off.

All of those problems seem to fixed on your last uncolored image. In fact every next image seems to be a lot better the previous.

The only negative thing I would have to say regarding last image is about feet. Feet on right leg seems a bit to thin and then wide around part where fingers connect to feet and it looks a bit too long. Feet on left leg, thumb seems a bit off and a line going to thumb seems a bit too big and sharp. Sorry I can't really really describe it well, I am not sure if you will get what I mean.

Generally speaking true I think it looks very good, better then my own art.

PS: Feel free to to let me know what you think of my own art if you feel like it.
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=46410
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=44863

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#4 Post by King-sama »

I like the third dude image o:

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

Your proportions are good, and your female character(s) are definitely visually appealing. I think the main issue here is simply the shading, it doesn't feel like it's blended well enough, and the shadows are "off". You are trying to give the effect that the guy wearing the cap has his face in shadow, but it looks more like it's covered in soot and the girl's skin on her body looks splotchy. Painterly shading CAN work with anime, but not like this. You have to be a lot more discretionary with where you add texture and what you leave perfectly smooth. Only add texture where there actually IS texture.