How to improve the logo?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

How to improve the logo?

#1 Post by runeraccoon »

Hi guys. I feel like I've been talking a lot in the forum, I hope you don't mind.

This time I came bearing a logo draft. Can you tell me some ways to improve the overall look? The VN will be a family drama surrounding a woman's search of an ideal love. Thanks for your help!
Attachments
HTLAS2.png

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

Re: How to improve the logo?

#2 Post by puppetbomb »

Here are a list of suggestions I have you can pick and choose from:
  • Keep the look consistent with the texture/color of the hand (teal text, no outlines)
  • Choose a thick, chunky font for the text
  • Take out the dark outer outline and just use the drop shadow.
  • Simplify the top and bottom edges of the thick white outline
  • The logo can also work without any outlines if you set it on a blurred shape for a backdrop, if you wish
  • Play around with text sizes. Maybe make "Love" and "Stranger" larger, maybe even in a different font than the rest of the title
I notice that most of my struggle is finding a good font. You can browse Google Fonts. Berkshire Swash seems like a nice, subdued kind of romance. But if you'd like a more formal look, Serif fonts can help give the logo a more mature feel :3

runeraccoon
Veteran

#3 Post by runeraccoon »

puppetbomb wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:49 am Here are a list of suggestions I have you can pick and choose from:
  • Keep the look consistent with the texture/color of the hand (teal text, no outlines)
  • Choose a thick, chunky font for the text
  • Take out the dark outer outline and just use the drop shadow.
  • Simplify the top and bottom edges of the thick white outline
  • The logo can also work without any outlines if you set it on a blurred shape for a backdrop, if you wish
  • Play around with text sizes. Maybe make "Love" and "Stranger" larger, maybe even in a different font than the rest of the title
I notice that most of my struggle is finding a good font. You can browse Google Fonts. Berkshire Swash seems like a nice, subdued kind of romance. But if you'd like a more formal look, Serif fonts can help give the logo a more mature feel :3
Oh, those are nice. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions!
I wanted a handwritten font for an indie, personal look, but I'll try to see what fits better for the theme of the VN. Plus, I think it doesn't command enough attention, unlike chunky fonts. :(

Could you elaborate on blurred shape backdrop? As in, maybe the hand could work in the background, slightly blurred, or are you talking about something else?

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

#4 Post by puppetbomb »

So something like this:

I would recommend it if you have a busy background. If you reserve a blank space on the title screen for the logo, however, you won't need many effects outside of a glow or a drop shadow.

The reason I suggested chunky fonts was because the hand/heart image in the logo is very heavy, visually. The shape is very bold, and a more delicate font would be overwhelmed by the hand.

This could be a good thing if you want the hand to be the focal point, arranging the text around it. Or, as you suggested, putting the hand behind the text. It's bold enough to serve as a backdrop, and with some blur or transparency, it can help bring together the logo.

runeraccoon
Veteran

#5 Post by runeraccoon »

Thank you for the lovely example!
I know some theories, but not enough to actually put them into a concept, so your suggestions are really valuable. So far I got two routes to choose from. Either using a blurred background (of my VN, I assume) plus only using glow/drop shadow in the title screen, or... rearranging the hand so that the fonts will pop out more.

Once I'm done playing around I'll put them up here, thanks again!

Ermytarya
Regular
Projects: I am working on something, dunno about how to name it yet.

#6 Post by Ermytarya »

Hello, o/
i think it look good as it is, but if you really want to make it a little more eye appealing, i would make the first letters biggers and put the 'a' in the middle, then add another type of texture to the hand, here a lazy edit of what am talking about. >.< hope the image is visible.

runeraccoon
Veteran

#7 Post by runeraccoon »

Ermytarya wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:50 am Hello, o/
i think it look good as it is, but if you really want to make it a little more eye appealing, i would make the first letters biggers and put the 'a' in the middle, then add another type of texture to the hand, here a lazy edit of what am talking about. >.< hope the image is visible.
Thank you! I definitely see what you mean and how the larger first capital(?) balanced out the bold hand on the right. Will probably apply that in the change I'm thinking about. I appreciate your response~

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

Moved to Personal Art.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift