!Opinions Needed!- would you play a game with this type of art?

Art threads specific to a single artist.
HyouryuuNa

!Opinions Needed!- would you play a game with this type of art?

#1 Post by HyouryuuNa »

Hi everyone. I just took an interest in visual novels and thought about making my own. I've made games in Rpgmaker before but the images weren't made by me. This time I've finally decided that I'll make my own character images from scratch cos finding what I need is a lot of work. So... here I am presenting a rough drawing of my character... (the hair and body are incomplete but the face is complete) And I need your opinion about whether I should continue with this style or not. I'm very confusrd because i'm not a professional artist. Please, tell me whatever that comes to your mind.
Attachments
20180613_012434.png

SinaAzad
Veteran
IRC Nick: SinaAzad
Deviantart: sinaazad
Soundcloud: Sina_Azad

Re: !Opinions Needed!- would you play a game with this type of art?

#2 Post by SinaAzad »

Honestly, nowadays any sort of art style works, and I cant see a reason why your style wouldn't fit in, It is actually a good style to go with visual novels (at least that's what I can see from the way the characters face looks.)
I am very proud to be a part of this generous, nice and friendly community!
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#3 Post by morinoir »

I don't see why you should not continue with your current style. It's actually pretty unique compared to usual anime style. The only downside to this style is you need realistic body proportion to match the semi realistic facial style, as well as realistic expression. So if you think you got that covered, I say go for it. Let us see the rest of the drawing (body, outfit, etc) so we can give you better suggestion.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

It can work, though I would recommend for his left eye (from our viewpoint) to have the iris more in the centre and for the right eye to not perfectly line up its corners with the hairline. Putting extra attention in making sure the eyes are perfect is worth it, those are one of the biggest factors that the people will look at and gage the character's appearance with. Nice lips though, I know from experience that making those look good like that isn't easy.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

HyouryuuNa

#5 Post by HyouryuuNa »

SinaAzad wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:09 am Honestly, nowadays any sort of art style works, and I cant see a reason why your style wouldn't fit in, It is actually a good style to go with visual novels (at least that's what I can see from the way the characters face looks.)
Thank you for your opinion. :) Now I feel more confident to continue with this style.
morinoir wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:16 am I don't see why you should not continue with your current style. It's actually pretty unique compared to usual anime style. The only downside to this style is you need realistic body proportion to match the semi realistic facial style, as well as realistic expression. So if you think you got that covered, I say go for it. Let us see the rest of the drawing (body, outfit, etc) so we can give you better suggestion.
Thanks for your suggestion! You are right. I need to keep stuff like body proportion and facial expressions in mind... I use 3d models for reference so hopefully the proportions will be ok. But as for facial expressions.... I will need to experiment a little.
Mammon wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:33 am It can work, though I would recommend for his left eye (from our viewpoint) to have the iris more in the centre and for the right eye to not perfectly line up its corners with the hairline. Putting extra attention in making sure the eyes are perfect is worth it, those are one of the biggest factors that the people will look at and gage the character's appearance with. Nice lips though, I know from experience that making those look good like that isn't easy.
Thank you so much. I was thinking that the eyes seemed a little off and you think so too. I've tried to fix that but alas! I just can't get the right angle. The eyes don't seem to glare at me lol.

Update! Hair is completed. :) But I haven't fixed the eyes yet. The face needs more work... :/
20180613_211518.png

Draziya
Regular
Completed: this was for you. [NaNoRenO 19], Acetylene [AceJam19], Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World [MonJam 18], I Don't Have A Clue [QRMJam 18], Cautionary Tale [NaNoRenO 18], OP Dodge Cross [GGJ 18], Acetone [AceJam 18]
Projects: I'm a love interest in my childhood friend's reverse harem!!
Organization: Watercress
itch: Drazillion

#6 Post by Draziya »

You have quite a nice style, and I would definitely play a Visual Novel with art like that! I agree with everything that has been said.

This might already be the case but, I would like to add that you should make sure most parts of the face (eyes, mouth, maybe the hair) should be on seperate layers from each other so you can easily change expressions on the sprite. Your face is so nicely blended with itself that if you haven't taken that into consideration with the way you shade and layer everything, it could cause problems for you further down the line!