Kirt. Updated Work

Art threads specific to a single artist.
jane_runs_fast
Regular

Kirt. Updated Work

#1 Post by jane_runs_fast »

Just recently started commissions for backgrounds, character sprites, and some painterly work- these are mostly the result of that. I feel all of the work has dramatically improved my art skills. Am uploading images here and a few other places to store/display because I am freeing space on my laptop. Most all of the images below have been commissioned. If you are interested in commissioning check out my deviant art or type 'character sprites' into the fiver search bar.

comments and critiques are appreciated, hope some peeps enjoy looking through whats here. Will update this in about a month- thank you for your time.

Backgrounds
office1.jpg
MALL_NIGHT2.jpg
dellyjay91_hall_day.png
school hall.jpg
clinic_day.jpg
example3.jpg
cafe day.jpg
forest1ex.jpg
g2 mc room day.jpg
Sprites
Illustration.png
exp1.jpg
the sprite on the far right was unfinished at the time of making the preview below
fomom.JPG
mandielsexpdone.jpg
Illustration3.jpg
horse1.png
preview.png
Painterly
stand alone.png
vampires bride2.png
We Happy Few Postcard Entry 2018
Joyful Welcome.png
Last edited by jane_runs_fast on Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

Re: Kirt. Updated Work

#2 Post by Fuseblower »

Hello, JaneRunsFast.

Your work looks great but you wanted a critique and there's something I spotted in your sprites : whenever one of your sprites tilts its head forward, it tilts its head sideways by the same amount. It's as if you want to keep the eye line and the vertical axis of the face perpendicular under all circumstances.

Here's what I mean :

With a tilted head there is only one viewing angle (apart from full frontal) under which the vertical axis and eye line are drawn perpendicular. In other words : it's a little bit too coincidental to have a sprite tilt its head forward and sideways in such a way that the vertical and eye line just happen to be perpendicular under the current viewing angle.

The result of such coincidences is a "stiff feel". There doesn't seem to be anything wrong but somehow it feels stiff (symmetry is another thing that can make a drawing look stiff).

On the other hand : in "Bride of the Vampire", you don't do this thing. It's only in your sprites. I don't know if you're aware of it, it's easy to enforce perpendicularity subconsciously, so I just though I'd mention it.

For the rest : your work looks great :D

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#3 Post by jane_runs_fast »

Thank you, Fuseblower, I appreciate your critique!

I do understand viewing angles, as you noted from the painterly images.

I create my sprites in sections, purposefully keeping their shading and angles as neutral as possible so the sprite body parts can have more versatility and subtle movement range- because that is my preference. I enjoy seeing the full face of a character. But as you noticed above, I am fully capable of creating dynamic poses and shading and do so- only at the buyers' request.

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#4 Post by jane_runs_fast »

Here are two WIP samples for an Adult Coloring Book titled Fantasy men- these images are samples and do not have their backgrounds yet-
mcb 1.png
fantasy2.png

DrKittenPHD

#5 Post by DrKittenPHD »

I think the two images you just posted above for the coloring book my favorite. I'm a sucker for B&W art, and the details and craftsmanship of your lines are incredible. I wanted you to know that I admire your art.

Every so often, your art has some off proportions. For example, the 12th image in the first post. The sprites heads look a little small in comparison to their bodies. I find my eye drawn toward their torso and crotch (heh) because their heads seem so small in comparison. Especially for sprites, whose faces and expressions are a focus, this could prove to be an issue. It's not major, though, and honestly I'm just providing trying to provide something productive besides "OMG I LOVE" (which I do).

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#6 Post by jane_runs_fast »

DrKittenPHD wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:29 pm I think the two images you just posted above for the coloring book my favorite. I'm a sucker for B&W art, and the details and craftsmanship of your lines are incredible. I wanted you to know that I admire your art.
Thank you for your compliment and critique!
Heres another line work since the above ones were your favorites!
Fantasy_Men4.png

DrKittenPHD

#7 Post by DrKittenPHD »

I am loving that sexy genie! His face is incredible. So seductive. What kind of tools do you use to create these coloring book pages? I want the coloring book when it comes out.

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#8 Post by jane_runs_fast »

DrKittenPHD wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm I am loving that sexy genie! His face is incredible. So seductive. What kind of tools do you use to create these coloring book pages? I want the coloring book when it comes out.
Hello,

I use traditional pencil and paper to doodle out where I want everything to go, and then I primarily use Clip Studio Paint Illustration software for everything else.

I outline everything using their basic line tools, as shown in the image below.
curvetool.JPG
I use a mapping pen for detail work.
detaillinework.JPG
If I need the image symmetrical or have to use alot of lines I use the ruler tools.
rulers.JPG
For the background work, I sometimes make thick lines using the line tools (and ruler tools) on a raster layer- and when I am finished I convert it to vector (which creates some neat little patterns)
vector.JPG

Let me know if you need a more in-depth explanation, I would be glad to show you how.

Also, the coloring/Activity book will be around 40 pages long, and available on Amazon within the next few weeks- I am using the profits to fund my WIP game.

DrKittenPHD

#9 Post by DrKittenPHD »

Thank you so much! I actually use Clip Studio, as well, and I really appreciate that you included images of the tools/settings you use. I was wondering how you did all that lovely detail work, and you've made me aware of a few tools (the ruler tool) that I've never tried before.

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#10 Post by jane_runs_fast »

DrKittenPHD wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:44 pm Thank you so much! I actually use Clip Studio, as well, and I really appreciate that you included images of the tools/settings you use. I was wondering how you did all that lovely detail work, and you've made me aware of a few tools (the ruler tool) that I've never tried before.
OOOhhhhh! You HAVE to try the rulers! They are so much fun! Try the symmetrical ruler with a higher line count (the above photo of the rulers should have the symmetrical ruler selected) and you will end up with some AMAZING designs!
filler12.png
filler10.png

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#11 Post by jane_runs_fast »

Rough character sheet for discoverjcro if I find out what game the character is for I will update.
roughcharsheetmain.png

DrKittenPHD

#12 Post by DrKittenPHD »

I like her a lot. Her poses make her seem sweet. Lovin the glasses the most. She looks great with them.

I love those designs you made, and you've inspired me to give the ruler tool a try. I love when people give me tips like this.

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#13 Post by jane_runs_fast »

DrKittenPHD wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:35 pm I like her a lot. Her poses make her seem sweet. Lovin the glasses the most. She looks great in them.

I love those designs you made, and you've inspired me to give the ruler tool a try. I love when people give me tips like this.
Thank you!

I stumbled over that bit by accident XD

I know a good deal about Clip Studio by bumbling my way through for years, so let me know if you want more mind-blowing "how did I not know this" type tips (because I have a legit list- clip studio has blown my mind ALOT.)

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#14 Post by jane_runs_fast »

dreerytowndry.png
Just posted this one and two variations of it in the free section, so be sure to check it out~

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#15 Post by jane_runs_fast »

roomlight.gif
Rooms made for dellyjay.