Nosterion's bacground arts: transforming real life photos into VN bacground.

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Nosterion
Deviantart: Nosterion
Github: Nosterion

Nosterion's bacground arts: transforming real life photos into VN bacground.

#1 Post by Nosterion »

Hi Guys,

Instead of writing a little novel here, let me jump into the middle.

Main points:
  • I love visual novels.
  • I love digital arts.
  • I love photography.
  • I have zero talent for drawing, maybe less.
So, taking the above into account, I decided to transform my real life pictures into digital arts.
After experimenting a bit, I went with colored pencil transformation and oil painting transformation.
I have a website in the making on which you can vote on your preferred style, but finishing it will take some time, and I just wanted to feel the excitement of sharing and receiving feedback as soon as possible. (Yeah, I know, patiance is not my strong suit. Beside, coding both the frontend and backend side of the webpage is a bit of a challange for me right now. But I'll get there eventually.)

So, here comes a few early example in sets of three. The first one is the original picture, the second one is made with colored pencil, and the third is oil painting. I would love to hear the community's opinion about which style would fit a visual novel more as a background art. Naturally the style would effect the character design too, so it is important to establish the base style as soon as possible.
Please keep in mind that these are early designs and I will keep improving making them. Also, the originals are 2000 px+ wide, I reduced their size to comply rules here.
IMG_7834.jpg
IMG_7840.jpg
IMG_7834_Painting_colpen_gel70.jpg
IMG_7840_Painting_colpen_gel80.jpg
IMG_7834_Painting_oil_overlay85.jpg
IMG_7840_Painting_oil_overlay85.jpg
IMG_7844.jpg
IMG_7963.jpg
IMG_7844_edited_Painting_colpen_gel80.jpg
IMG_7963_Painting_colpen_gel50.jpg
IMG_7844_edited_Painting_oil_overlay85.jpg
IMG_7963_Painting_oil_overlay55.jpg
IMG_7946.jpg
IMG_7956_mod.jpg
IMG_7946_Painting_colpen_gel70.jpg
IMG_7956_mod_Painting_colpen_gel50.jpg
IMG_7946_Painting_oil_overlay70.jpg
IMG_7956_mod_Painting_overlay70_light20.jpg
IMG_7889_mod.jpg
IMG_7875.jpg
IMG_7889_mod_edited_Painting_colpen_gel_85.jpg
IMG_7875_edited_Painting_colpen_gel55.jpg
IMG_7889_mod_edited_Painting_oil_overlay65.jpg
IMG_7875_edited_Painting_oil_overlay70.jpg
IMG_8009_mod_edited.jpg
IMG_7935_mod.jpg
IMG_7935_mod_edited_Painting_colpen_gel70.jpg
IMG_8009_mod_edited_Painting_colpen_gel70.jpg
IMG_7935_mod_edited_Painting_oil_overlay85.jpg
IMG_8009_mod_edited_Painting_oil_light60_overlay40.jpg

YaminoOkami
Regular
Projects: 17th Astral

Re: Nosterion's bacground arts: transforming real life photos into VN bacground.

#2 Post by YaminoOkami »

I think they still look a bit too realistic/photograph-like to fit nicely with digital art drawn characters (Unless characters too would be super realistic).

I don't know much about transforming real life photos into digital art so I can't offer you much of advice, but I did try playing a bit with one of your photos:

I think you should go for at least this much for photos to nicely fit the characters.

Nosterion

Re: Nosterion's bacground arts: transforming real life photos into VN bacground.

#3 Post by Nosterion »

YaminoOkami wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:36 am I think they still look a bit too realistic/photograph-like to fit nicely with digital art drawn characters (Unless characters too would be super realistic).

I don't know much about transforming real life photos into digital art so I can't offer you much of advice, but I did try playing a bit with one of your photos:

I think you should go for at least this much for photos to nicely fit the characters.
Thank you for the honest critique. I too, had a feeling that they don't really fit the usual visual novel character style. I was thinking about something of a meshup between anime and painting style. At least it would be original. :) I even found a few artists whose character designs would fit perfectly with the oil paintings. But I am painfully aware that I need to keep working on my skills. :( I made a few new pictures though, they are also available on my deviantart page. https://www.deviantart.com/nosterion

But they are still too lifelike....hmm...
Maybe I should switch from Corel Painter to Photoshop.
What software did you use for your sample?

YaminoOkami
Regular

#4 Post by YaminoOkami »

Nosterion wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:24 pm Thank you for the honest critique. I too, had a feeling that they don't really fit the usual visual novel character style. I was thinking about something of a meshup between anime and painting style. At least it would be original. :) I even found a few artists whose character designs would fit perfectly with the oil paintings. But I am painfully aware that I need to keep working on my skills. :( I made a few new pictures though, they are also available on my deviantart page. https://www.deviantart.com/nosterion

I used this online photo editor witch was specifically designed for transforming photos to artwork:
https://www.befunky.com/create/

It's seems pretty easy to use considering this was the first time I used it or tried doing something like this and I didn't get a terrible results. True I doubt it has as many options as Photoshop (Of course true you could always use both).

I usually only use Krita and while it is a great program for drawing I don't think it's very suited for what you are doing.

Nosterion

#5 Post by Nosterion »

YaminoOkami wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:23 pm
Nosterion wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:24 pm Thank you for the honest critique. I too, had a feeling that they don't really fit the usual visual novel character style. I was thinking about something of a meshup between anime and painting style. At least it would be original. :) I even found a few artists whose character designs would fit perfectly with the oil paintings. But I am painfully aware that I need to keep working on my skills. :( I made a few new pictures though, they are also available on my deviantart page. https://www.deviantart.com/nosterion

I used this online photo editor witch was specifically designed for transforming photos to artwork:
https://www.befunky.com/create/

It's seems pretty easy to use considering this was the first time I used it or tried doing something like this and I didn't get a terrible results. True I doubt it has as many options as Photoshop (Of course true you could always use both).

I usually only use Krita and while it is a great program for drawing I don't think it's very suited for what you are doing.
Wow, Man! You showing me that site will certainly cause me a few sleepless nights. :)
I instantly fell in love with the graphic novel transformation settings of that site. I played around a bit with a few pictures. What do you think?
garden_3.jpg
castlehill_2.jpg
temple.jpg
church.jpg

YaminoOkami
Regular

#6 Post by YaminoOkami »

Nosterion wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:10 pm Wow, Man! You showing me that site will certainly cause me a few sleepless nights. :)
I instantly fell in love with the graphic novel transformation settings of that site. I played around a bit with a few pictures. What do you think?
While they could still use some work, I think they certainly look a lot better/more painting like now.
I especially like the first one, true if it was me I would lower transformation % on trees on top left.
Oppositely in 3rd one I would increase transformation on tamale only since one colored buildings seem to need higher transformation to look just as paint like as the rest of the photo, while the parts with a lot of small details need lower % so they don't get too blury.

Here I did a quick job of this to show you the difference.

I didn't see an option to transform just a part of a photo in that site but you can still do that by doing two versions of the same photo and then cropping/pasting the parts that you want different level of transformation for (True I did it pretty quickly so I didn't fit parts the best and you can still see a bit of disorder where I cut if you look at it, sorry a bit short on time at a moment as I am behind a schedule with my own VN project :oops: ).

But all in all, with some more work I think you can get what you want and are on a nice track. It's not far from something witch would decently fit digital art characters, especially if you find artist for character with a matching style.

Nosterion

#7 Post by Nosterion »

I kinda feel like I leveled up. :)
Below are a few examples of the new images.
Thank you YaminoOkami for the guidence and showing me that awesome webpage. ;) I practiced a lot and now I more or less get the hang of it.
Garden_1_GNDLX6080100_CRT5_607040_comp.jpg
Garden_2_GN6080100_CRT5_557040_comp.jpg
Garden_3_GNDLX6080100_CRT5_707040_comp.jpg
Garden_4_GNDLX6080100_CRT5_707040_comp.jpg

Nosterion

#8 Post by Nosterion »

And here is a few new ones with different scenery.
Castlegarden_1_vbr100_gn7080100_crt5_707040_comp.jpg
Citylost_crt5_comp.jpg
Citysunset_vbr80_gndlx7080100_crt5_207040_comp.jpg
Church_2_vbr100_gndlx7080100_crt5_507040_comp.jpg

Nosterion

#9 Post by Nosterion »

Just a few new, more refined ones.
Citybuilding_ed_crt5_comp.jpg
mansion_crt5_2_comp.jpg
Citysunset2_crt5_comp.jpg

alberte
Veteran
Tumblr: klaruga
Deviantart: Klaruga

#10 Post by alberte »

Hi, I see your trying to turn photos into backgrounds for a visual nove, cool.
Here's my attempt to turn a photo of yours into a drawing-like image BG for a visual novel

Nosterion

#11 Post by Nosterion »

alberte wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 pm Hi, I see your trying to turn photos into backgrounds for a visual nove, cool.
Here's my attempt to turn a photo of yours into a drawing-like image BG for a visual novel
Hi Alberte,

Thank you for your effort playing around with one of my pictures. :)
It looks good on small screen and I think it fits visual novels. Although on bigger screens I think it is a bit too blurred/pixelated.
Currently I face the same, but reversed problem. Looking at it on big screen or zooming in makes my transformed photos fitting for certain style of visual novels I think (at least my latest attempts do), but if you look at them on small screen, they are still a bit too lifelike.
Maybe we can find some middle ground for them with practice. :)

Have a nice day!
Cheers ;)

Nosterion

#12 Post by Nosterion »

UPDATE

Just updating this post, because I think I was able to improve a lot since I started this thread.
I realize that my pictures still only fit into a very niche category when it comes to visual novels, but I haven't given up hope that with the right team we can create something unique and worth the effort. Besides, one never stops improving and learning new things. ;)

So here comes a few of my latest works in 1920 x 1200 px resolution.
Countryside_river_2_wp.jpg
grapewall_final_wp_2.jpg