Chell 's Art ~ PLEASE critique! ♥

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Chell
Tumblr: schneizel
itch: lycheegames

Chell 's Art ~ PLEASE critique! ♥

#1 Post by Chell »

Hello, ntmy!

First things first, I consider myself to be a game designer first (as in designing fun environments in digital games, a writer 2nd and maaaybe an illustrator 3rd (...but when you take all things into account I'm probably like an illustrator 20th) so please try to be respectful and don't come in expecting too much lol.

I do post fanarts and pixel art stuff on my art tumblr, which is over @ http://tachibunny.tumblr.com for now. This topic is going to be for my WIP Ren'py games only!

For now, I'm seeking a lot of help on these characters. I had a slump a while ago (and by "a while" I mean 3 years) because my games were doing OK and I started to put too much pressure on myself, and haven't been able to finish any games since then, so now I'm just doing this silly BL game for fun, and I'd like help in... everything really. :P I haven't drawn a lot since then either, so I'm kinda back to basics lately. Please?

These are 7/8 main characters/routes/"lovers" of the game:

PLEASE CLICK FOR FULL IMAGE

Please help me with proportions and whatnot. I want to make them bishounen but it's hard lol.

Anyway, thanks loads for coming!
Last edited by Chell on Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DecoyTactics
Projects: High Elo Girls
Organization: Split Fate Games
Tumblr: reality-ajar

Re: Chell 's Art ~ PLEASE critique! ♥

#2 Post by DecoyTactics »

Hi Chell!

You've done a fantastic job establishing different character personalities! Even without most clothing you can get a sense of what kind of people they are from their basic poses! There's a diversity of poses heights and body types that makes the characters pop!

In terms of proportions, the fifth character is the only one who immediately strikes me as in need of any kind of revision? Their biceps don't quite 'join' to their pectorals, and the pecs feel like they might be a little low?

You've definitely delivered on the character's personality, you can tell they have a kind of 'gentle giant' kind of vibe, and really nailing down the details of their musculature will help sell the appeal of them being the ripped character in the cast!

I hope that makes sense! I'd really love to see these characters in costume!

Chell
Tumblr: schneizel
itch: lycheegames

#3 Post by Chell »

DecoyTactics wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:32 pm Hi Chell!

You've done a fantastic job establishing different character personalities! Even without most clothing you can get a sense of what kind of people they are from their basic poses! There's a diversity of poses heights and body types that makes the characters pop!

In terms of proportions, the fifth character is the only one who immediately strikes me as in need of any kind of revision? Their biceps don't quite 'join' to their pectorals, and the pecs feel like they might be a little low?

You've definitely delivered on the character's personality, you can tell they have a kind of 'gentle giant' kind of vibe, and really nailing down the details of their musculature will help sell the appeal of them being the ripped character in the cast!

I hope that makes sense! I'd really love to see these characters in costume!
Hey! A bit late but thank you sooo much!!

I am feeling uncomfortable about his proportions as well. Glad to know I'm not the only! Will try to review them later this week! Really happy the personality is coming across as well!!! :)

Thanks A LOT for your feedback really!!

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#4 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Hello Chelle!
I agree with this, I can see that every pose and characters are well defined in terms of their characteristics. I still struggle with anatomy and proportions as well but I think I can give a few pointers to help you out in general.

For me personally what stands out from your drawings are the legs, they didn't have good shapes and a bit blocky/square-ish (except for the 3rd guy, his legs looks quite decent compared to others), I think if you define/shape them more it'll improve the drawings greatly. I'm bad at drawing them as well but I keep practising so they looked a bit decent now-- but I still made mistakes :oops:

I'd recommend searching for more references (it can be from real-life male models or other drawings), also don't be afraid to make mistakes!

Here are some quick videos that I think will help: (they're not a perfect study but I think it'll help you out for beginning studies)

For basic shapes of the legs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6mTU4Ise00

More basic shapes for the feet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ7PQ5P-BGE

A bit more dynamic and with more muscles study:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u57U5L9lRKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmu5otddlxI

There are more that I'd like to point out, but I think it'll be better for you to fix the current ones before I point out more so it'll not overwhelm you. As for the rest, it's already pointed out by Decoytactics.