Sprite Art Pricing

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Chaolio
Deviantart: Chaolio

Sprite Art Pricing

#1 Post by Chaolio »

Hello!
I've been on this website for a while now in hopes of becoming a visual novel artist. I am doing illustration commissions that are kind of on the pricier side, and I am worried how to incorporate my prices when it comes to outfits, poses and expressions. Here's my art btw:

I thought maybe I should lower my price for visual novel art commissions only, but that wouldn't be right. Can anyone give me some pointers on this? Do you guys price your illustration commission art the same as your visual novel art commissions?

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

Re: Sprite Art Pricing

#2 Post by puppetbomb »

Here's a list of what is generally the most to least expensive sprite modification:

Pose
Even if it's just a change in a single arm, a character has multiple outfits needs every single clothing item with an arm to be redrawn to fit the new pose. If the head is angled differently or moved on the canvas, new expressions have to be drawn. A full body pose change is basically creating a new sprite.

Clothes
Most of the time, this will involve practically redrawing over half of a sprite.

Expressions
The most price-savvy way of creating many emotions.

I'm not super familiar with prices people are willing to pay here, but I would suggest having a base price similar to your commissions and let clients choose a la cart how many expressions, outfits and pose changes they want on top of that.