tatapb's artsy stuff [feedback appreciated]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
tatapb

tatapb's artsy stuff [feedback appreciated]

#1 Post by tatapb »

M'kay guys I recently started writing / arting for my otome and it's been a doozy. Up until now my style has been more on the cartoon-y side and I've never actually produced a finished piece (I get frustrated at how not THERE I am yet) but I've been doing a lot of deliberate practice in the past two weeks to nail an anime style.

So this dude below is one of the otome's LIs. I was wondering if you guys could maybe critique / give feedback about the overall style / look. I still need to give him a decent lineart and paint him but I wanted to get feedback before I dive into that super time consuming process.

jasper.png

Feedback I'm looking for:
  • What type of personality does he strike you as having?
  • If this guy were in an otome would you feel attracted to him? Like is he cute / hot enough?
  • Anything that you think might be relevant for me to change / do...? Like "his waist is too thin" or wtv. Structural changes.
Feedback I'm not looking for:
  • Anything pertaining to it's unfinished / unpolished status. Trust me, I know it needs work before it's usable.
Thanks!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: tatapb's artsy stuff [feedback appreciated]

#2 Post by Zelan »

What type of personality does he strike you as having?: Laid-back, not exactly lazy but more like... he doesn't do things if he doesn't see any point in doing him. Probably pretty flirtatious.
If this guy were in an otome would you feel attracted to him? Like is he cute / hot enough?: Yeah! ^_^
Anything that you think might be relevant for me to change / do...? Like "his waist is too thin" or wtv. Structural changes.: I'm probably not the best person to answer this because I'm not trained in art so I tend to miss more subtle stuff, but I don't see any glaring issues. (:

It looks really good! You're doing well. ^_^

DecoyTactics
Projects: High Elo Girls
Organization: Split Fate Games
Tumblr: reality-ajar

Re: tatapb's artsy stuff [feedback appreciated]

#3 Post by DecoyTactics »

Zelan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:38 am What type of personality does he strike you as having?: Laid-back, not exactly lazy but more like... he doesn't do things if he doesn't see any point in doing him. Probably pretty flirtatious.
If this guy were in an otome would you feel attracted to him? Like is he cute / hot enough?: Yeah! ^_^
Anything that you think might be relevant for me to change / do...? Like "his waist is too thin" or wtv. Structural changes.: I'm probably not the best person to answer this because I'm not trained in art so I tend to miss more subtle stuff, but I don't see any glaring issues. (:

It looks really good! You're doing well. ^_^
I second all of this!

There's a very attractive, languid energy to the character! The way he's adjusting the gloves gives him a showy, 'not-in-any-hurry' vibe; that wouldn't be there if say, his arms were closer or more compact into his body.

Details like, the loose collar and tie, wrinkles in the tucked shirt and feathery hair add to that casual vibe! Like, he's exactly as neat and put together as required, and not an iota more! So like, contrasted with the flourish in the hand gesture adds a certain amount of relish to the action? Like, whatever is prompting him to put on his gloves is something he's taking his time to enjoy?

I hope that makes sense!

In terms of any possible adjustments, the only thing that strikes me is that the 'V' of his neck (a quick google-search says it's the 'Sternocleidomastoideus' I think?) looks just a little off? Those muscles tend to converge towards the collarbone in a sharper 'V' angle, where this one is a bit more obtuse, almost a 'U', so it could give it the appearance of a strange bulge? But I'm not an authority on anatomy, and could just be me reading the image strangely!

I hope that's helpful!
Artstation - Tumblr - Twitter
Currently performing art duties on High Elo Girls- an esports VN, Demo coming soon!