Eiramired's Art Thread [Critiques and Feedback Appreciated!]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
eiramired

Eiramired's Art Thread [Critiques and Feedback Appreciated!]

#1 Post by eiramired »

Hello folks; welcome to my art thread!

I don't usually post my art anywhere, but I thought it'd be nice to be able to keep track of my art journey as I (hopefully) improve. It'll also probably be useful to have everything in one place so I can reference it in the future.

Critiques and general feedback are welcome and appreciated! I know I've got a long way to go, and I'm totally fine with honest critique, so don't be shy. :)

-
This is a slightly older sketch I did. I was testing different coloring and lineart styles, and I think this is the point where my coloring style really started to turn into what it is currently.
This is a slightly older sketch I did. I was testing different coloring and lineart styles, and I think this is the point where my coloring style really started to turn into what it is currently.
-
This is from the same "coloring testing" sketch era as the previous image.
This is from the same "coloring testing" sketch era as the previous image.
brunhilde.png (114.63 KiB) Viewed 5542 times
-
Also an older work. Testing different brushes!
Also an older work. Testing different brushes!
-
Here's a reference for one of my characters that I did for this year's artfight!
Here's a reference for one of my characters that I did for this year's artfight!
-
This is my most recent piece and the first proper sprite I've made! I'm not sure if I want to keep this style for future sprites or go for a more clean look.
This is my most recent piece and the first proper sprite I've made! I'm not sure if I want to keep this style for future sprites or go for a more clean look.

eiramired

Re: Eiramired's Art Thread [Critiques and Feedback Appreciated!]

#2 Post by eiramired »

I've been doing more sprite practice and coloring tests. Here's the first completed sprite(with multiple expressions, etc.) that I've ever made!

I also decided to make my practice sprites available to use for free under the CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 license, so here's a link to my free assets thread in case anyone's interested!

I tried using a softer shading style and brighter colors, though I'm not sure how successful that was? I've found I tend to gravitate towards darker, more desaturated colors, and that's a habit I'm trying to break out of.

DecoyTactics
Projects: High Elo Girls
Organization: Split Fate Games
Tumblr: reality-ajar

Re: Eiramired's Art Thread [Critiques and Feedback Appreciated!]

#3 Post by DecoyTactics »

The colours and shading are looking really great! The colours in particular are super pleasing! The subtle purples of the pants really punch up the off-white/cream of the undershirt and blue of the jacket, which in turn accents the blue of the eyes, and makes them really piercing!

My only real critique is that the gesture is maybe a little ambiguous? This might just be due to the limitations and requirements of a sprite, but it's hard to tell if the arm positioning is supposed to read as a kind of nervousness or more obstructive/terse attitude, or if the arm is being clutched in pain to support it?

It's mostly the limpness of the free arm and the corresponding hand that sort of reads as wounded, but the casualness of the clutching arm that contradicts that, if that makes sense?

This might be beyond the scope of the sprite or practicality, but if you wanted to sell the gesture as a nervousness or a closed-off expression, some restlessness in the loose hand, like a sort of fidgeting of the fingers in a loose fist (or a tight fist if you wanted to express a more severe frustration!) might get that across? And likewise, for a pained gesture, emphasising the tightness of the clutched hand with a wider grip, and more deformation and creases emanating from that hand could make it look more severe and attention-grabbing!

I hope that makes sense!
Artstation - Tumblr - Twitter
Currently performing art duties on High Elo Girls- an esports VN, Demo coming soon!