Yuuki's Art Journey [Feedback Appreciated!]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

Re: My drawing and coloring, Crtic please!

#76 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

JustAnotherMe wrote:LEN!!!!
huh? len? OAO??

@monopiero ahaha xD yeah I try to sketch though.. a lot ;A; and orz I feel bad deleted all of it
like I'm erasing my child (?) LOLOL xDD #justignoreme
@poppyrocks thank you! LOL xD jelly!
I like jelly with chocolate flavor :9

=3= hmm.. I think I'm failed at the proportion again..
someone said the head is too long.. and also her foot...
>A</ yosh! I'll do better next time!

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#77 Post by JustAnotherMe »

huh? len? OAO??
Yeah! Your Len!!! OmGod, I really love your Len!!!
Yeah, the proportion still a bit off, but I'm sure you can overcome it!! I've seen much improvements!!! XDDD
Gut luck to both of us!!! /^3^/
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

MonoPiero
Regular

#78 Post by MonoPiero »

YuukiCrossPudding wrote:
JustAnotherMe wrote:LEN!!!!
huh? len? OAO??

@monopiero ahaha xD yeah I try to sketch though.. a lot ;A; and orz I feel bad deleted all of it
like I'm erasing my child (?) LOLOL xDD #justignoreme
@poppyrocks thank you! LOL xD jelly!
I like jelly with chocolate flavor :9

=3= hmm.. I think I'm failed at the proportion again..
someone said the head is too long.. and also her foot...
>A</ yosh! I'll do better next time!
Lol when i fail the proportion, It usually just make the character look different from the age I wanted it to be(So you can just correct it by just changing its age xD) My proportion's are really off when I do other people's character ;v; It hardly happens when I draw my own >_< I wonder why lol. (Cos I did a bad job of them I wanted to delete them from my dA argh.. I hope they already saved the file.. Idk when I will delete them ;o; informing them seems lame cos my art is badz) Deleting is okz, I used to delete everyone of them too ;o; Its only recently that I finished one without deleting (The first thing uploaded to my dA.) Now, I also 'delete' them alot.. xD But I need to throw it instead of deleting it off my laptop. (cos its on paper.) As for the hands, to make it look better, you must remember to make the pinky finger smaller than all the others, and make the thumb bigger than others. You must also take the fact that all fingers have different lengths into consideration when you draw your hands. You will draw better hands that way.. Even if it just improves a little. (I think the hands are the most important thing other than the face and hair lol)

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#79 Post by Cidz »

YuukiCrossPudding wrote:also my hand shaking when I use the mouse, so some lines are bit yah...
wait...you drew and colored this with a mouse!? O_O thats pretty impressive!

i think the girl sprite is cute. the anatomy and coloring looks pretty good. i'm not really an artist so i cant offer anything useful, but i like to look at peoples art anyways lol and comment/compliment them. ~

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#80 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Uhmmm, if you're drawing with mouse, I think you still can make a good line art. In fact, a very neat line art. Do you know SAI? If yeah, use curve tool. Then pressure tool, and edit tool. I've read some tuts about it, and actually it's pretty easy.
(Me myself haven't tried it, haven't got the chance, but I wanna use it after I got back home. Using mouse to draw it is. Although I might color it with my tablet ^^)
0.3 second lunch

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?

#81 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Hi there >A</
I'm having my final exam for this year now OTL
but I'm joining a competiton to make a poster about HIV too, and I think I need some advices and I have some questions! ;A; if it's not troubling you all...

1. Is this meaningful enough? I'm confused what should I write on the poster.. I thought I'll write a poem, a short one about HIV
so to make people who see the poster think about helping those who have HIV...

Actually I want to draw children, they're holding hands and there's a writing like " If I have HIV, will you still be my friend?"
but yeah, =A= idk why suddenly my drawings come to this...

2. Is the poster design good enough? I think I want to draw the cause of HIV near the girl, but I only can draw the needles... and maybe medicine like drugs? orz

3. What kind of poster do you want to see? maybe it'll give me some ideas etc.
hiv2.jpg
(the skeletons lol I forgot to give black color to the eyes so it looks transparent, I'll fix it later)
Um.. I think I want to win this one, because I already lost my confidence to join competition a long time ago, now I want tot try it again. I want to prove... to myself and to other people that I can actually make something with my hands... to draw something useful for people...so thank you so much in advance just by reading this >u</

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#82 Post by JustAnotherMe »

First, sorry for the harsh and direct opinions, since I can make a comment on designing poster (I usually can't comment on things good enough to be called comment)

I remember what my prof said to me 1 week ago: KISS (keep it simple, stupid ;please! Don't get offended! He's telling me)
So yeah, he's telling me to make all my design to be as simple as I can (and a simple thing usually have much more impact in a poster.)
Imagine this: how many people will take a time to see your poster? What is the main attraction of your poster (in here, please use JUST one object as the main attraction, either it's typography or a drawing, so to emphasize the effect of the attraction. Two or more main object will confuse the audience)? What is it that will attract the attention of people, even though just for a second?
Imagine yourself as the audience, when you walk down a road, or driving, will you be attracted to SEE (not read first) a poster? Because when you're attracted to see a poster, then you'll start reading it. But how many percent of those 'passing bys' will see the posters while they walk, or doing something?

Ask yourself these questions: Why, When, Where, What, Who, How?

I myself find a poster is interesting enough if they're something like a guerilla poster or marketing though usually it's not using a poster as its media, but it can be used with a poster too. Just think differently and creatively.

And, uhm, just my opinion though. Your poster might be better if you erase the... uhhh... rose petals (?) and erase the woman and the skulls. Maybeeeee, just draw a crawling hand from the bottom, show the bones and veins so it'll show that the hand really try to get a help, really try to get out of the darkness. Maybe with the red ribbon tying the hand to the darkness. The hand try to reach the light. Make the color of the hand to be just black and white, that could emphasize the red ribbon. Maybe, make the ribbon glowing? Or, well, out of the box, make the ribbon not a ribbon, but a red chain that have the same shape with that HIV logo? (And these all will make your poster just not your poster anymore...) Well, just my opinion ^^
Hope I can help ^w^
(Sorry for too many reference pictures)
Attachments
plasticsur-706670.jpg
polepositoinstreetillusion.jpg
red_cross.jpg
guerilla-marketing-posters-main.jpg
images.jpg
images.jpg (10.19 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
hiv+aids+awareness+posters.jpg
hiv+aids+awareness+posters.jpg (12.82 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
Closer.jpg
Closer.jpg (9.19 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
487.jpg
0.3 second lunch

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#83 Post by TsukiShima »

I think JAM also said everything there is about posters. Poster is not really my specialty, but I guess I should give my opinions.

The poster did caught my attention, if it would be paste on a wall, I would look at it, but I wouldn't understand it at first. And I think the red ribbon is too high, maybe it should be a bit lower and it would be fine. And at first sight, I only saw the girl and the ribbon, I really didn't see the needle until I read your comment.

I think you could use your creativity and try to make more design. But I understand it would take time.

I hope you can win the contest! It's actually already good to me, so I'm sure you can do it.

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran

#84 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

@JustAnotherMe : Thank you so much for the advice and etc. ;A; thanks for everything!
I didn't change my design though.. OTL no time to fix it again, my stupid... argh dumb teacher told me that the deadline is not on 10th of December but 1st December =A= he's so... OMG

God sorry that I hate him so much for telling me the wrong date orz
*A* I'll take note of what you said and remember it my whole life! I decided to take design for my subject in university anyway >u< I think this will be useful

@Hanamori Thankiiess~
I hope I'll actually get in... maybe 2nd or 3rd place is enough for me lol
>_> I envy my friends.. they got their father to make the poster or pay people to make posters for them so they can join the competition lol xD

and~ just random sketch+color x3
it's like... before color and after color lolol

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran

#85 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

~/o/ tried to polish my coloring skills
not good enough though QAQ
I appreciate any critics and advice >A</

and I tried to color some BGs too...
is there any technique to color BG? I found myself quite confused at it ;___;
maybe simple is the best? ._.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#86 Post by Nuxill »

I think it would be good to experiment with your colors and shading a bit. You seem to tend to shade your pictures with a slightly darker, a tiny bit more saturated version of the color you used for the shadows. That's not always a bad thing! But using it over and over will do nothing to help you. The worst thing it can do is make your pictures look dull and/or flatter. Try changing the hue of the color you use to shade a tiny bit before you lay it down. I personally like to use a slightly warmer shade most of the time, but that's just me. Also don't shade whites with a neutral gray. Use something that's desaturated but has enough color to pop.

It's an older picture but the girl with the pink hair's shading is way too saturated. It makes the hair look unnatural. Same thing with the shading on the skin. It's too orange; skin tends to have a more pinkish hue since it's colored by our blood.

For coloring bgs it's best to start out with large shapes of color then define details all around the canvas at the same rate. You'll also want to work with reference pictures, especially if you're just starting with bgs. You'll probably want to work with reference pictures all the time in all your pictures, because they'll help you with things that aren't in your visual library yet.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#87 Post by chocojax »

Yeah, basically what Nuxill said about the colors/bg thing, lol.

You could try to do color studies of photos/your backyard/people you see everyday. Try to look at the shadows/highlights and see if there are any other hidden colors in there, why is it like that, etc. Also, think about what places are being hidden by the light source, and what places are being hit directly by the light source. Thinking in three dimensions in your head tends to help out, at least for me.
Also, the way that you shade and the outlines make him seem kinda flat. Like the bandage on top of his left eye, there's this one part that goes diagonally, but suddenly "disappears" as if it's being folded underneath the under bandages? Which is not done, I believe, lol. Try to think about how certain objects wrap around certain things. Do studies of folds too! Or watch videos by people who've already mastered these sorts of things.
Though, the way that you shaded his hat makes it seem pretty three dimensional. :V
I'm kinda assuming that his shoulders are amazingly small because of the stylistic choice, but it seems very strange.

For backgrounds, you should usually draw the background first before the people and whatnot, because it keeps things in the correct perspective. Blocking out colors in a bg also helps with perspective if you're too lazy to actually put in details in the background first like me, lol. Videos would also help. :v

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran

#88 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Hiya! It's me, who rarely even post anything here anymore :lol:

I.. kinda finished all of exams for my high school-terms
and now I just have to wait for the results if I'll make it or not ><
While waiting until August to come and I'll roll on to the college (I decide to take Design & Visual Comm. subject ^^)

Again! I post my drawing here, I miss the time I posted many things here and many kind ppl will give me advices ;u;)/ I can't make it to this place without you guys and this forum!
I know how to draw digitally from here, I met my precious friend who taught me many things here too! basically this place builds my dream to learn more about art and taught me the hardships of life
also sorry for my English, I think I've become rusty since I rarely studied grammar while being busy with school.
I'm also sorting out my feelings too after some incidents happening and things have been lil' crazy for me

I don't know if there're ppl who still remember me but I thank you guys
and sorry if I did some mistakes I didn't mean to

Alright, here goes to my latest drawing! I hope I progressed even just a bit than the last time ^^;
although this one is pretty... um.. mature? I think? I'm not sure myself though
So be careful, alright? DA already told me to filter this one lol
it's pretty confusing with the new sub-forums, names and everything
I hope I could get the hang of it and maybe will be active(?) like I used to be lol

also sorry again for the long-rant lol

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#89 Post by Tempus »

I don't know anything about drawing, but that looks really nice. I'm glad you posted it as an attachment first or I might have not looked :-|
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran

#90 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Tempus wrote:I don't know anything about drawing, but that looks really nice. I'm glad you posted it as an attachment first or I might have not looked :-|
That's because I think the drawing is a bit too mature :oops:
I'm too focused to make a different drawing than I did before this lol
Thank you for the compliment! :D