Kirroha's Sketch Request Thread [7 Apr] [Closed]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Kirroha's Sketch Request Thread [7 Apr] [Closed]

#1 Post by Coren »

Art Dumpage Here.

Latest Work:

Requests:
1. Tag- (Completed, Page 4)
2. HanaMori (Completed, Page 4)
3. SilverxBlue (Completed, Page 4)
4. JustAnotherMe (In progress)
5. MiSi
Attachments
hanamorifinal.jpg
Last edited by Coren on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:03 am, edited 19 times in total.

Kael
Regular
Projects: Roaming, Red Snow??? Some others as composer.

Re: Kirroha's Artworks

#2 Post by Kael »

Euphemia looks lovely, overall they all look good in my opinion.

Miss-Mae
Regular
Projects: Waiting on Love
Organization: Kinki Skiddles Productions

#3 Post by Miss-Mae »

Your style is super cute! :D
Come visit me, if you like, at: http://www.miss-mae.deviantart.com / http://www.kinki-skiddles-games.deviantart.com <3 or on my NEW game making blog, which you can find here: http://kinki-skiddles.tumblr.com/ <3

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo

#4 Post by Coren »

Thanks ^^ Here's another one I've done today for V-Day:

http://daydreamy-stupor.deviantart.com/ ... -197390041
Ushiromiya Battler and Beatrice from Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Miss-Mae
Regular
Projects: Waiting on Love
Organization: Kinki Skiddles Productions

#5 Post by Miss-Mae »

Nice work on those side views! I have always had trouble drawing them, but it looks like you've mastered them quite well.

Happy Valentine's Day, by the way. :D <3
Come visit me, if you like, at: http://www.miss-mae.deviantart.com / http://www.kinki-skiddles-games.deviantart.com <3 or on my NEW game making blog, which you can find here: http://kinki-skiddles.tumblr.com/ <3

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#6 Post by Coren »

Thanks! Here are some more stuff:

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#7 Post by Alera »

Would you mind if I give some honest constructive criticism? ^^lll I'm asking because some people don't like what they would hear about their mistakes and so on...

But all I want actually is to help! :'D
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

nefferinthia
Regular

#8 Post by nefferinthia »

I'm not really a fan of the style you have mastered, the shading puts me off a bit to be honest but you could've done a lot worse. Adding eye-white or whatever you want to call it seems like a good idea. I've noticed you draw legs like they have no bones in them, it looks really unnatural. Perhaps you should practice that some more. I also think it would help to look up some clothing folds tutorials/references? But really, you're off to a good start n____n

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#9 Post by Coren »

Yeah, I'm trying to improve of course ^^ Everyone starts off somewhere.

And of course I'd like to hear some criticisms other than "oh it's cute" and etc.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Alera »

Ok! XD So get prepared...

Your style lacks a little...uniqueness. I've seen A LOT of other artists drawing in like-the exactly same style. Yes, it's cute but when people see your drawings they can't say like "Hey! I know that style! It's ...'s!" They are more likely to wonder "Is this...'s? Or was it ...'s? Or even...'s???" O.o

I'm not telling you to completely change your style. This is a nice base. You could develop from here on and create your own original style.

Another thing: your characters themselves are not unique enough just if we look at your drawings. Imagine if you remove the hair and different colours and they would be exactly the same. This might be a little hard to control and many artists have that problem, but it's actually easy to be avoided! You have to pay more attention to the details. Like the exact eye shape. Or the whole face-frame. Different noses? Easy stuff like that. It's not just the hair, or glasses that make your character unique. Different details can represent different parts of their personalities too.

I'll skip the talk about anatomy-you have to be really careful there, make more references with reality and just practice a lot.

I'll move to the colouring. It lacks details. And shadows. Just the white lights don't make your drawing look good. I would recommend you to take a look of this tutorial of mine here: http://fav.me/d2pvc1e and this one too: http://fav.me/d2fb5f7 Looks at how many details of shading you should add to make it look more realistic and convincing! (Wow, I haven't made any tutorials in ages! Literally. >.>)

I hope this helps!!! If you have any questions- just say. ^^lll I know my explanations can be confusing.
Games:

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#11 Post by Coren »

Thank you very much for the help! :D Using a mouse is hard, but I hope I should be able to do fine. Need to improve on my drawings first.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#12 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Wooh, I see myself in you. ^__^
I was once a mouse artist too, until I bought a tablet and changed that XD

First off, I like your style. But as Alera said, sometimes I see some artists with similar style. Well, be like me. What did I do? I used other people's styles to develop my own style. Well, I don't even know if my style is unique XD

I remember when I was a kid before, like when I was 9 years old, I keep on mimicking ANY style I see which is better than my previous one. I suggest you try to do the same. Kinda like getting information from a book and paraphrasing it to make the piece yours, but the info other people's property. Same at drawing. :D

Then... I don't have my tablet right beside me now, so I can't give a full critique with the drawings, but I just want to say something about your eye whites. They're barely visible, if there is any. I saw some whites on that Lunair drawing, but it's... lacking D: I suggest putting eye whites. It gives the drawing more life :D

The Yasu drawing is good, but the hand is kinda too small for the whole body. The hand is almost as large as the face. That's why sometimes I make my faces small XD There's no problem with the hair (I like the way how you do hair actually).

Then lastly your latest drawings. I like the way you did them, but never use gradients on skin :? Because they tend to look off when you shade them. Then the eye whites, and more shading on the hair (no shadows? D:) and put lenses on her glasses XD (Make it look more GLASSY! :D)

Hope you find my critique fair :D

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Alera »

I know using a mouse is hard, but the tablet isn't like a magic wand. XD If you know some good techniques and little tricks you can make your mouse work just as good as a tablet. It would just take you some more time. ;p But if you really care about you art- it should be all worth it,right?
Games:

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#14 Post by EternalDream »

Yeah, that's true. Though I would imagine coloring with a tablet would be less time consuming (Can't say for sure since I don't have a tablet myself ;_;)

As the others pointed out, gotta color those eye whites. Since it's been pointed out so much times, I'm gonna skip that lol Even though it didn't occur in all of your art pieces, I'm just gonna point out that shoulder lengths should be around the same width on both sides if the character is facing directly towards the camera (meaning no angles)

Those little problems aside, I'll start with my real critiques. For the legs, the upper one is supposed to be thicker than the lower one, and not just a little big thicker. Look at your own leg for reference. Also, the first time I saw your art... it gave me the impression that you used the burn tool a lot. (Or is it gradient?) IDK. But either way, that's not an effect I think CGers should aim for ^^;; I know burn or gradient seems like a very convenient tool to use to shade, but try to select colors instead. When you're shading... shade with more detail. For example, don't just make the bottom of the hair darker than the top and you're done with it... Also shade in the strands, etc. That aside, the red hair guy's ears is in the wrong place I think, and it's too small lol (I know that was pretty rdm...) For your most recent drawings, be sure to select proper skin colors. Your last 2 girls has a... not lively skin color <.< I'm not sure if that was part of the effect you wanted us to have or something but usually, people have a peachier color? (Okay... I wasn't sure about the peachier color part lol...) Lastly, be careful when drawing the shape of the faces. (Ex. Yasu's face shape is... not great)

Sorry if my critique seem like it's all over the place D: As a side note, my favorite out of all of them is Shuang (In the first pic) but I don't know if it's just 'cuz she's upside down lol (Even though that's got nothing to do with it.) I like her best since her face shape is alright, her ear is in the right place (also looks about the right size) and I think her shading is the best out of all of them. (Don't attack me if I'm wrong people... that's just my opinion ^^;;)

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#15 Post by Coren »

Thanks for taking the time to critique, everyone. It's really good to be able to know where to begin making changes. :D