The Madness [Official hint guide]

A forum for the posting of official and unofficial EVN walkthroughs. Each thread must start with a walkthrough - requests will be deleted.
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

The Madness [Official hint guide]

#1 Post by Greeny »

Welcome to the official hint guide, for those of you who want just a little push in the right direction of solving the arguably mind-boggling and maddening puzzles of The Madness!

As a quick reminder, be aware that easier difficulty settings have puzzle-skip available on certain puzzles. Just pause the game and select fast-forward when facing a puzzle that can be skipped. It won't reveal the solution, so that way you can progress through the game and come back later to puzzle some more on it.

That said, I commence the hint guide!
Most puzzles have randomized solutions, so I won't be providing any of the actual answers.

General tips:
- Everything could be a puzzle.
- Anything could be a puzzle.
- Most things relate to a puzzle.
- There are puzzles.
- Most puzzles are designed to be misleading.
- This entire game is designed to make you go nuts.
- Each area has a number of puzzles. They can be solved in any order. Except when they can't.
- When a puzzle kills you, it means it has reset. This is to prevent brute forcing. (changed with update)

Area #1: The Ego

Welcome to the Madness! Have a look around. Make yourself uncomfortable. Try not to touch anything that has eyes. Hint: Everything has eyes. Everything is watching you. Judging you. Try to drown out the voices with some music or tv. It won't help. Sooner or later you'll want to follow their instructions. That's okay. You are weak.

Puzzle #1: Game Over (easy)
On easy mode, this puzzle is automatically won.
Hint 1
The very fact that I'm naming this as a puzzle is a hint in and of itself.
Hint 2
It is a puzzle with only three possible answers, one of which is correct.

Area #2: The Id

Darkness settles in. The primal self speaks to you. It wants out. It wants blood. Hint: Do not give it blood. You'll want to turn off your lights for this area. The visuals are hard to see otherwise, and some things are best left in the dark. Some urges are best left in the dark. Some sins are best left in the dark. You'll find a book. Let it be your guide. The drawings foresee your fate.

Puzzle #2: The Machine (easy)
Downstairs, you'll find a strange machine with all sorts of buttons and bobs. What does it do?
How do you activate it? Why does one of the levers electrocute you? Who designed this anyhow?
Hint 1
You'll need to activate the parts in the correct order to complete the activation.
Hint 2
The book may have the answers you need.
Hint 3
There's a poem with five verses, exactly the number of actions to complete the sequence.
Hint 4
Notice how the five senses are used as a theme.
Puzzle #3: The Piano (medium)
The piano is slightly out of tune. That's okay. Your mind will be, too.
Hint 1
It almost goes without saying you'll need to play notes in a certain order.
Hint 2
Look at the tv. Considering it's placed here, it most certainly relates to the puzzle.
Hint 3
A piano has notes from A to G. Not necessarily in that order.
Hint 4
You can make words with letters. Letters A to G.
Hint 5
You'll need to repeat this three times. Try not to let the mannequin distract you.
Puzzle #4: The Plumbing (hard)
Try not to activate the pumps haphazardly. You will get killed arbitrarily. I'm not sorry.
Hint 1
You'll need to place each valve in one of three positions; Left, Right, or distinctly Vertical.
Hint 2
Try to look for four things that indicate these positions.
Hint 3
Figuring out which relates to which valve is a bit more tough. Look to the book for insights.
Hint 4
Down here, you'll find no starlit sky with beautiful constellations. You'll have to make do for lights.
Puzzle #5: The Escape (easy)
Now that you've solved one or more of the previous puzzles, you'll have some candlelight to guide your way out.
Hint 1
Your candlelight keeps flickering. Must be drafty in here.
Hint 2
If you follow the wind, you might find the right exit.

Area #1 ...again

Welcome back into the light. This time you will have to get around to solving those puzzles. You must go deeper. You must find the source. I promise it won't be the death of you. Well, that depends. Actually, nevermind. I can't promise you that. Pay close attention to your surroundings. Do not listen to the voices. Trust noone. Hint: You are not alone.

Puzzle #6: The Map (medium)
In what used to be an empty room, you will now find a map, and a globe. Obviously it is a puzzle.
Hint 1
You can place marks on the map. You'll need to find a clue that indicates positions on a grid.
Hint 2
You'll find a new clue that wasn't there before. Somewhere in the house. I was going to have it be available from the beginning, but that idea was scrapped.
Hint 3
Notice how the chess bord has changed positions.
Hint 4
The new clue, a poem, refers to positions on the board. Try to decipher it.
Puzzle #7: The Safe (hard)
It is not actually safe. Avoid it at all costs. Unless you have the solution.
Hint 1
There are a lot of numbers to be found. They won't work by themselves. Gather up all the information you have.
Hint 2
If you've found all the notes, you'll have found 12 dates. Choose one.
Hint 3
Each date only fits within a certain timeframe. Where can you find twelve timeframes?
Hint 4
Now that you have the Date, you need the Place. Look at your chosen clue again. What other numbers are in the picture?
Hint 5
Look closely at the photographs. Very closely. You'll see numbers.
Hint 6
Combine the right date with the right numbers to create your personalized 8-digit code!
Puzzle #8: The paintings (hard)
You may have noticed the paintings changing over time. Spooky!
Hint 1
You'll need to arrange the right paintings.
Hint 2
Try to figure out what actions cause which changes in each painting.
Hint 3
You still need to figure out which paintings are the right ones. When in doubt, look for a book.
Hint 4
The story will tell you all you need to know.

Area #3: The Therapy

Did you just have a traumatic experience? Would you like to talk about it? Tell me about your feelings. I sense that you had a rough childhood. Tell me everything. I won't judge you. I don't need to. You do it yourself. Hint: You've gone insane. Let me help you. Tell me everything.

Puzzle #9: The Test (???)
You may have heard of the Rorschach test. Have a look at these inkblots.
Hint 1
Don't mess around. Tell me what you really see.

Area #4: The Descent

Welcome to your mind. You've been here for a while now. This is what it really looks like. Hint: He's out to get you. Don't run, it's futile. He will get you. It will hurt. It's a metaphor. The pain was already inside of you. It is already consuming you. Can you still hear the voices?

Puzzle #10: Navigation (scary)
Finding your way through this labyrinth may be intimidating at first. It doesn't get better.
Hint 1
Look closely at the cards. They may provide a clue to notable locations.
Hint 2
Your first goal should be to find the exit.
Puzzle #11: Game Over (again)
Hint 1
Don't be fooled

Area #5: The Super-ego

Something feels off. Yet strangely comfortable. I could understand it if you wanted to stay here forever. Hint: You might. This is your mind. This is how it works. Yours is broken. You are hopeless. Watch your step.

Puzzle #12: The Planets (mysterious)
You'll find some rotatable disks. It looks suspiciously like a puzzle.
Hint 1
Look at the name of this puzzle.
Hint 2
Planets have a tendency to orbit.
Hint 3
You'll need to figure out how to position the planets.
Hint 4
As usual, there's a poem about it.
Puzzle #13: The Mermaids (sexy)
Looks at those paintings. Seductive, aren't they? Try not to get lost.
Hint 1
Appreciate good art from centuries past. These paintings are in the public domain.
Hint 2
Appreciate electrical engineering.
Hint 3
Observe the effects of electrical current on mermaids.
Hint 4
Try to balance your maids.
Puzzle #14: The Monsters (in your closet)
Find the book. You'll find depictions of things you do not want to encounter in the dark.
Hint 1
Head into the dark forest. Encounter them.
Hint 2
Take note of which you see. Also, find your way out. Somehow.
Hint 3
Each monster has a theme.
Hint 4
You'll need to combine the right chemicals into the receptacle for a positive reaction.
Puzzle #15: The Terrible Fate (nightmarish)
There are three doors. One always lies, one always tells the- no, wait, wrong puzzle.
Hint 1
You'll need to pick the right door.
Hint 2
The game is messing with you. As am I.
Hint 3
Give up. You won't get it right.
Hint 4
Light a matchstick.

Area #4 Once More

Welcome back. I've missed you. Head back into the hallway. I'm waiting. Hint: This is gonna hurt you more than it's gonna hurt me. Try not to get lost. It's a perfectly linear corridor. Stop listening to the voices. Listen only to me. I know what's best for you.

Puzzle #16: Navigation Again (why)
You'll find you can now pass through the ominous corridor. It leads to more fun.
Hint 1
For this hallway, you have no cards to guide you.
Hint 2
Fear not, there will be a room nearby. Don't stray too far.
Hint 3
Find a radio. The last channel is your guide.

Puzzle #17: The Radio
(get out of my head)
While you're here, you might as well solve the puzzle.
Hint 1
You've got 9 dials, each with a setting from 1 to 9. You need 9 numbers.
Hint 2
The radio channels offer plenty of numbers. Which to use?
Hint 3
Check the telescope. You'll see three patterns.
Puzzle #18: The Typewriter (mind-blowing)
Have you found the room with the typewriter? You'll need to figure out what to type.
Hint 1
You may have come across some of those rorschach slides already.
Hint 2
You'll need to go out and find them.
Hint 3
The library in the first hallway provides some extra help with navigation.
Hint 4
See what you can make of the letters.
Puzzle #19: The Painting (expert)
You may have found the empty canvas by now too. You'll need to complete the painting.
Hint 1
Realize that you'll need to select each area in the right order. Twice.
Hint 2
The clue is elsewhere. Go look for it. When in doubt, look for books.
Hint 3
The first pattern should be easy. Decipher the first bookcase.
Hint 4
The books in the second bookcase provide you with points on a 3 by 3 grid. Just like the canvas.
Hint 5
See if they form triangles.
Hint 6
See what happens when you overlap the triangles on a 3 by 3 grid.

Area ?? : ???

???

Puzzle #??: ?? (?)
??????
Hint 1
???
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter