Lemma Soft Forums

Supporting creators of visual novels and story-based games since 2003.

Visit our new games list, blog aggregator, IRC channel, and Discord (new).
Activation problem? Email pytom@bishoujo.us.
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tyranobuilder?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:18 pm 
Eileen-Class Veteran

Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016]
Projects: Slumberland
Thanks for sharing your experience, artyrambles.
Very useful review.

No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:25 am 
Regular

Completed: Midnight Encounter, White World
Tumblr: 8oni
Deviantart: 8oni
artyrambles wrote:
Okay, this post is getting way too long, and even though I could go on, let me just say my conclusion:

If you are just messing around, TB is an option for you, if you want to spend money for something Ren'Py does for free.

If you are serious about making VNs and want to make a game that is player-friendly, use Ren'Py. Learning how to use it isn't as hard as it seems at first, you can do everything you do in TB with a minimal understanding of programming. Like, I started recreating everything I did in TB after like two hours of reading the documentation.

These are just my personal opinions, though. I hope someone will find this review helpful.

First, not everyone LIKE to code.
And this comes from someone that have writing code up to 1000 lines and that's just so I can get ONE simple function done so trust me when I say unless it's freaking necessary, I see no reason why I should wrote everything in code if I can have it done using drag and drop components.

Second, TB is still developing. Also since it seems you didn't know much about TB, there is already a plugin to do a GUI interface, but since English version didn't have a new tag unlike the Japanese version, English user have to wait until the update before the plugin can be used. So yeah, for now English user like me will just learning from the Japanese user so I can be ready when those function out.

Every engine have it upside down. TB only come out for a couple of years, so personally I say if you want to comparing it to a freaking super popular engine that already have a ton of fans and documentation for it, it's not fair.

But well, it's just my personal opinion.

Just some foot note : I remember last year I have to open and edit the file inside the TB just to change the cursor. Now they have implement the cursor change on the interface I only need to click the button, load the picture and tada, custom cursor. So yeah, everything comes gradually, not in one night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:44 am 
Regular

Projects: Apocrypha
Deviantart: JeremyRawn
My game is in Tyrano. It's restrictive, but a pretty nifty toolbox. Of course, like it's been said already, Tyrano needs more features. But, hey! For now, for a newbie like me, it's pretty dope.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:10 am 
Eileen-Class Veteran

Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016]
Projects: Slumberland
PassiveChicken wrote:
For now, for a newbie like me, it's pretty dope.
I believe that's exactly what artyrambles meant. The guy only told us a personal experience. It's okay if you see it differently.

No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)